SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 FBS Thread

Sioux>Bison

51 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Now do we question if Notre Dame gets in after this performance?

They got their butt kicked end of the year. They barely beat undermanned Clemson earlier and a win over North Carolina, otherwise nothing on resume  to deserve it. A&M lost early. They should go ahead of Irish. 

57 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Personally I hope Notre Dame can compete against Alabama. Texas A&M seems more deserving and would have had a better chance IMO. Whatever, I look forward to the games. Been disappointed before.

A&M already got blown out by Alabama, but I don’t think Notre Dame has much of a chance either so I don’t even know what to think.

On 12/19/2020 at 5:47 PM, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Does Texas A&M get it now that Notre Dame doesn't look good today? A&M has one loss and was ranked fifth coming into today. Their loss was by 28 to Alabama.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:16 PM, iramurphy said:

They got their butt kicked end of the year. They barely beat undermanned Clemson earlier and a win over North Carolina, otherwise nothing on resume  to deserve it. A&M lost early. They should go ahead of Irish. 

I think they did the right thing, i think if they were going to leave ND out they should have went with Cincinatti. If you put ND and A&M's resume next to each other, one is a step above the other's.

ND made a few mistakes early in the game and let it get away from them. Seems to be a trend in these high-profile games, ND and Alabama both got run out of the building by Clemson a couple years ago. Clemson got dominated by LSU last year. OU got murdered on live TV by Joe Burrow. 

ND's offensive line is banged up. Lost their star center in the BC game, his backup was hurt too and the guy who stepped in wasn't healthy either. And another lineman just got back from an appendectomy. 

Assuming those guys (starting center still out) are closer to 100%, I think they'll be fine. They aren't as good as Clemson or Alabama but they are still very good. 

Notre Dame doesn't have the skill players those teams have, so they are going to have trouble keeping up if their line is not humming along. They don't get many quick strikes like AL/Clemson do. 

I have a feeling Alabama and Clemson will both win comfortably. Ohio State could hang around since they have no wear or tear on them this year. It should help ND a lot that the Bama qb does not run the ball but damn...them receivers and that big RB lol.

If I'm posting that night, please forgive the spelling errors and confusing syntax as the game goes on...my brain is going to have a lot of alcohol self-prescribed.

What a shame that Cinci didn’t get in. The 4 team playoff has really changed FBS football for the worse. They must expand to at least 8 teams so that deserving teams like Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina have an opportunity to go to the playoffs. Plus expanding will even out recruiting... right now most high level recruits are going to Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Georgia because they have the best chance at the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

JBND7 is probably correct in that ND may be one of the top 4. However, I felt the Clemson/ND game should have been looked at like a “play in” game. Loser out. Because it was ND’s first loss, I can get the argument. It would have been the perfect opportunity to put Cincy in or at least change things up with A&M. I’m not sure either of them or even ND can compete with Bama. However if Brooks gets protection and plays well they might make it respectable. 
Army got screwed out of a minor bowl game. They are looking for an opponent. Bubba?

11 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

What a shame that Cinci didn’t get in. The 4 team playoff has really changed FBS football for the worse. They must expand to at least 8 teams so that deserving teams like Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina have an opportunity to go to the playoffs. Plus expanding will even out recruiting... right now most high level recruits are going to Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Georgia because they have the best chance at the playoffs. 

It should have been 8 teams to start with.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Coastal Carolina gets rewarded with a game VRS Liberty.  Well that sucks.

Would greatly prefer FCS playoffs if I'm them.  If that is the ceiling with an undefeated team, FBS is pointless until the playoff field is expanded.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Four/eight/sixteen teams will always create discussions on who deserve. Probably better than what used to be without any tournament.

I would think the best team would be in the top eight and certainly within the top sixteen. Must probably in the top four.

I think going to 8 makes a lot of sense. Go the 5 power 5 conference champions, top group of 5 team, and 2 wildcards. This year you would have Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Oregon. Cincinnati, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M. I'd also think about a rule that the 2 wildcard teams couldn't both be from the same conference either. Really feel the committee overrated the SEC this year. No way a 3 loss Florida should be above Cincy and I don't even think they dropped last week after the loss to a bad LSU team.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 11:13 PM, JohnboyND7 said:

I think they did the right thing, i think if they were going to leave ND out they should have went with Cincinatti. If you put ND and A&M's resume next to each other, one is a step above the other's.

ND made a few mistakes early in the game and let it get away from them. Seems to be a trend in these high-profile games, ND and Alabama both got run out of the building by Clemson a couple years ago. Clemson got dominated by LSU last year. OU got murdered on live TV by Joe Burrow. 

ND's offensive line is banged up. Lost their star center in the BC game, his backup was hurt too and the guy who stepped in wasn't healthy either. And another lineman just got back from an appendectomy. 

Assuming those guys (starting center still out) are closer to 100%, I think they'll be fine. They aren't as good as Clemson or Alabama but they are still very good. 

Notre Dame doesn't have the skill players those teams have, so they are going to have trouble keeping up if their line is not humming along. They don't get many quick strikes like AL/Clemson do. 

I have a feeling Alabama and Clemson will both win comfortably. Ohio State could hang around since they have no wear or tear on them this year. It should help ND a lot that the Bama qb does not run the ball but damn...them receivers and that big RB lol.

If I'm posting that night, please forgive the spelling errors and confusing syntax as the game goes on...my brain is going to have a lot of alcohol self-prescribed.

Two things were abundantly clear last night.

1. Notre Dame is one of CFB’s top teams, but is not elite. 

2. Ohio State is elite. And absolutely belonged in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/1/2021 at 11:08 PM, cberkas said:

How was that targeting?

On 1/2/2021 at 8:28 AM, Ozzie82 said:

Two things were abundantly clear last night.

1. Notre Dame is one of CFB’s top teams, but is not elite. 

2. Ohio State is elite. And absolutely belonged in the playoffs. 

1. We must define elite. If that means top 5, then ND is elite. If it means...right there with Alabama, then lol I'm with you lol, because they obviously aren't there right now in the skill position areas. The lines seemed to do their job though which was a welcome sight.

2. Holy hell Ohio State was eye-opening lol. I still don't think they should've gotten in but that's philosophical based on number of games.