2020 FBS Thread

Sioux>Bison

45 minutes ago, Sioux Lite said:

My CFB playoff prediction: 

1. Bama

2. Irish

3. Cincy

4. Ohio State

Would love to see the committee grow a pair and expand the playoff for this unusual season. Seeing the likes of BYU and U Dub get a shot would be pretty cool.

Will Ohio state get enough games in to be considered? They need to win their final two games(assuming they are played) to even be eligible for the B10 championship.

19 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Will Ohio state get enough games in to be considered? They need to win their final two games(assuming they are played) to even be eligible for the B10 championship.

Tis the question the committee will have to answer. I think their a top four team in the league rn.

52 minutes ago, Sioux Lite said:

Tis the question the committee will have to answer. I think their a top four team in the league rn.

Idk how the committee puts in a team playing half as many games as the others, and without a single big win. If they put OSU in, I think they will basically be telling everyone that your record doesn't really matter as long as we think you look like a good football team.

19 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I like Notre Dame but they have been overrated so many years. Hopefully they aren’t overrated this year.

Someone did a statistical breakdown on this a few years ago. Basically the conclusion was ND is underrated just as often as they are overrated. They have a unique position in college football as an independent with a large following, leads to many haters. 

The biggest problem I have with the haters is they apply a standard that only seems to apply to Notre Dame. ND got beat by Clemson a couple years ago in the playoffs and immediately everyone goes "SEE THEY DONT BELONG!" The following week Clemson beats the piss out of Alabama and nobody says "Alabama doesn't belong." 

Notre Dame in 2012 has a magical season of close wins and makes it to the national championship. Gets steamrolled by Alabama, the consensus is that Notre Dame doesn't belong. Conveniently, people ignore that a ton of the title games in the BCS system weren't competitive games. Heck, Alabama only got in because Kansas State and Oregon (two teams ND would have likely beat) both got upset late in the season.

Notre Dame isn't Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson right now in terms of recruiting and in the modern game, they probably never will be unless recruits are listening to their mothers, but they are right in the top 5-10 programs in the country. 

This year, there are only two teams I think are better than them, Alabama and Clemson. I think they'd beat Ohio State, OSU has a pretty average defense and Notre Dame has proven that they can slow down high powered offenses and ND's offense is pretty well balanced at this point so they can move the ball against pretty much anyone. They are much less flashy than the other high end teams and have less depth, but they can probably play with anyone now.

3 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Idk how the committee puts in a team playing half as many games as the others, and without a single big win. If they put OSU in, I think they will basically be telling everyone that your record doesn't really matter as long as we think you look like a good football team.

Someone did a statistical breakdown on this a few years ago. Basically the conclusion was ND is underrated just as often as they are overrated. They have a unique position in college football as an independent with a large following, leads to many haters. 

The biggest problem I have with the haters is they apply a standard that only seems to apply to Notre Dame. ND got beat by Clemson a couple years ago in the playoffs and immediately everyone goes "SEE THEY DONT BELONG!" The following week Clemson beats the piss out of Alabama and nobody says "Alabama doesn't belong." 

Notre Dame in 2012 has a magical season of close wins and makes it to the national championship. Gets steamrolled by Alabama, the consensus is that Notre Dame doesn't belong. Conveniently, people ignore that a ton of the title games in the BCS system weren't competitive games. Heck, Alabama only got in because Kansas State and Oregon (two teams ND would have likely beat) both got upset late in the season.

Notre Dame isn't Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson right now in terms of recruiting and in the modern game, they probably never will be unless recruits are listening to their mothers, but they are right in the top 5-10 programs in the country. 

This year, there are only two teams I think are better than them, Alabama and Clemson. I think they'd beat Ohio State, OSU has a pretty average defense and Notre Dame has proven that they can slow down high powered offenses and ND's offense is pretty well balanced at this point so they can move the ball against pretty much anyone. They are much less flashy than the other high end teams and have less depth, but they can probably play with anyone now.

I mean the win over Indiana is decent for Ohio State but I think this year more than any other would just be they went with the eye test and Ohio State looks like one of the best 4 teams in the country. I think Clemson will beat Notre Dame when they play again for the ACC Championship but I'd like to see both of them in the playoff and between those two, Alabama, and Ohio State I think you could matchup any of the 4 teams and it is gonna be a pretty good ballgame. Alabama looks like the most complete team so far but I'm not convinced they've really been tested. Clemson and Ohio State have unbelievable offenses but both have had moments were their defense has looked questionable and probably even moreso for Ohio State there. Notre Dame looks like they have the best defense and their RB Williams carries a heavy load for them while Book just seems to make winning plays when they need it most.

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I want to visit the notre dame campus someday real sweet to get to a notre dame game. Anybody here been to a notre dame home game?

I went there in 1997 vs. Georgia Tech, first game of the Bob Davie era.  

Pretty cool, but I had 3 young kids with me.  Cuts down on some of the “experience”. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I want to visit the notre dame campus someday real sweet to get to a notre dame game. Anybody here been to a notre dame home game?

I've been there a couple times.

2016, terrible ND team, terrible seats, beautiful fall day and was absolutely the most magical day of my life. Beautiful campus. Tailgating everywhere. Lots of tradition everywhere you look. 

2018, updated stadium. Good seats. Pretty winter day. Snow everywhere. Awesome experience again though I may have had a couple beverages too many before we got to our seats.

Should be on every college football fan's bucket list I think. Pretty unique deal over there. The town itself is kinda a dump, but the campus is extraordinary and the stadium and the gold helmets and all that make it special. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VMeister said:

I went there in 1997 vs. Georgia Tech, first game of the Bob Davie era.  

Pretty cool, but I had 3 young kids with me.  Cuts down on some of the “experience”. 

Bob Davie....the first of three very bad hires made in a row. The Pope might be infallible but the Admin down there certainly is fallible.

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2020 at 1:19 PM, JohnboyND7 said:

You just described the exact method that the committee has always used to choose the top 4 teams - the eye test. They have no guidelines to follow... they don’t have to choose conference champions, they are not bound by any statistical guidelines. Their only job is to pick - in their view - the best 4 teams at the end of the season. 

(I’m not necessarily advocating for OSU.)

4 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

On my bucket list....and that awesome church on campus!

They had just gotten a new organ when I was there the first time. Beautiful church. Mass before the game was lit AF. Packed like a State Funeral and everyone was a little drunk so there was big energy with the singing. 

2 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

You just described the exact method that the committee has always used to choose the top 4 teams - the eye test. They have no guidelines to follow... they don’t have to choose conference champions, they are not bound by any statistical guidelines. Their only job is to pick - in their view - the best 4 teams at the end of the season. 

(I’m not necessarily advocating for OSU.)

Right, they do an eye test. But games matter to them too. They might believe Clemson is a top 4 team if ND beats them again but they aren't going to put a 2-loss Clemson in the playoff.

Maybe Notre Dame and Clemson should both shut down their seasons until the playoff and claim they have serious outbreaks. They both have a strong enough resume to stay in and Clemson can't afford another loss but has some good wins.. It would be pretty fun to see how the Committee handled that.

I dont like Ohio State but don't really hate them. I would hate if the committee put in a 5 win team whose best win is Indiana.

• Upvote 1

Any chance this BYU/Coastal catapults the winning team into serious playoff contention? Obviously Coastal won't get in, but still a New Years 6 game up for grabs. As much as I hate the Bison, it's tough not to think they would've been a top 20 team in the nation this year if they played a schedule similar to both these schools.

19 minutes ago, Sioux Lite said:

Any chance this BYU/Coastal catapults the winning team into serious playoff contention? Obviously Coastal won't get in, but still a New Years 6 game up for grabs. As much as I hate the Bison, it's tough not to think they would've been a top 20 team in the nation this year if they played a schedule similar to both these schools.

Who could have guessed that Coastal Carolina vs BYU would have serious national playoff implications?

2 hours ago, Sioux Lite said:

Because of all of this, Dom Izzo has changed his tune and now thinks the Bison should move to FBS, especially seeing what Coastal Carolina has done. 

3 hours ago, Sioux Lite said:

No. Neither of them is respected by the committee and won't be.