SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2020-21

cberkas

On 3/20/2021 at 8:53 PM, Godsmack said:

Yah, and from what I hear, he loves his HS coaching gig and is paid handsomely for it. But to your point, he’d make a fun, interesting addition to the NCHC coaching fold! 

He coached Valor Christian HS out of Highlands Ranch, CO to another state 5A title this year.  They beat our Fort Collins High School Lambkins again.  

What is worse.  Being called the Lambkins or losing to the Lambkins? 

BTW, I love Gwoz for sticking up for the Sioux nickname. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

I could see an eastern realignment again creating 3 leagues out of existing ecac and hockey east. Ivy league, hockey blue bloods, and leftovers. 

In the early 1980's, disagreements about length of season, number of games, and scholarships led to the creation of Hockey East, as they split off from the ECAC.

Teams that bagged their entire season will be at a large competitive disadvantage, and it has to have created hard feelings with those teams playing and left in the lurch.  This divergence may lead to what you suggest.

I think this year and the across the board actions of the Ivy League could be enough to lead to a break up of the ECAC.  It's possible that they just split 6 and 6, but I think the remaining ECAC schools might seek to pick up some extra teams, either from the top of Atlantic Hockey or maybe a smaller Hockey East school like Merrimack that has struggled to be competitive.  Hockey East has had a lot of parity in recent years, so not sure if their is any kind of acrimony like there was in the dying days of the classic WCHA that led to creation of NCHC.

38 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

In the early 1980's, disagreements about length of season, number of games, and scholarships led to the creation of Hockey East, as they split off from the ECAC.

Teams that bagged their entire season will be at a large competitive disadvantage, and it has to have created hard feelings with those teams playing and left in the lurch.  This divergence may lead to what you suggest.

Not to mention, in normal years, the ECAC schools-at least the Ivies-don’t start playing games until a month after the rest of the conferences have started.

I follow Cornell and see that after teams like UND and virtually everybody else have had 4-6 games under their belt, they’re just getting in their first warm up game against a Canadian University. Why do they do that? 

Just now, Godsmack said:

Not to mention, in normal years, the ECAC schools-at least the Ivies-don’t start playing games until a month after the rest of the conferences have started.

I follow Cornell and see that after teams like UND and virtually everybody else have had 4-6 games under their belt, they’re just getting in their first warm up game against a Canadian University. Why do they do that? 

Probably for the same reasons Ivies don't accept invitations to FCS playoffs ...

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I know the Ivy league schools, at least in hockey, has max amount of games they can play during the regular season. Maybe something to do with academics so they have enough time for school. I believe it's something they set for themselves and nothing to do with ncaa. 

This is what the NCAA should have done. Send the next 4 teams, one to each regional, and if a team has to drop out before the day of the game you have a replacement team already there. Oh NCAA Selection Committee what decisions that should have been made.