SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

For those that don't like numbers......if Italy were to not have a single new case or death moving forward the US would need 18000 new cases with 30% death rate, THIRTY, of those cases to match Italy's numbers as of now. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

For those that don't like numbers......if Italy were to not have a single new case or death moving forward the US would need 18000 new cases with 30% death rate, THIRTY, of those cases to match Italy's numbers as of now. 

That sure hasn't stopped Daily Mail from pushing the panic button...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8146515/U-S-potential-coronavirus-epicenter-says-WHO.html

At what point do mental health considerations come into play....the damage of increased stress and suicides caused by the joblessness/financial crash as a result of actions taken to combat Corona?  Those will last long past when Corona is done. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

At what point do mental health considerations come into play....the damage of increased stress and suicides caused by the joblessness/financial crash as a result of actions taken to combat Corona?  Those will longer long past when Corona is done. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/bankers-pledge-mortgage-help-but-want-billions/ar-BB11B5ge?li=BBnbfcN

1 hour ago, keikla said:

And also, if there are any HCP who are bored... NY passed an executive order that any providers (including nurses, RTs, PAs, NPs, etc) who are licensed in any state and in good standing can practice in NY without risk of penalty for not having a NY license.

Also, all liability suspended except for gross negligence. 

So come on out and enjoy the fun!

Where in NY are you?  

2 hours ago, keikla said:

We are on a case by case basis, though not because of the study.  Many of the patients are showing evidence of concurrent pneumonia.  We frequently use azith for community acquired pneumonia, all the moreso when there is suspicion of it being an atypical pathogen. 

Supposedly we're getting 500 tabs of hydroxychloroquine from Teva on wednesday.  Enough to treat 50 patients.  We have more than 50 covid patients admitted currently, and who knows how many to come.  So that continues to be restricted for the most severe cases.

Hang in there

• Upvote 2

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Corona (Enter at your own risk)
41 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

At what point do mental health considerations come into play....the damage of increased stress and suicides caused by the joblessness/financial crash as a result of actions taken to combat Corona?  Those will last long past when Corona is done. 

They don’t.  Those numbers will be pushed under the rug.  However, if gun deaths go up, that narrative will be pushed pedal to the metal!

14 coronavirus deaths in the US in last 24 hours.

184 deaths from drug overdose in the last 24 hours in this country (average per day from last year's death total).

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

They don’t.  Those numbers will be pushed under the rug.  However, if gun deaths go up, that narrative will be pushed pedal to the metal!

No need to get defensive or paranoid.

We like you and your friends.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion/Even if it is wrong.   (Old Fella)

23 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

14 coronavirus deaths in the US in last 24 hours.

184 deaths from drug overdose in the last 24 hours in this country (average per day from last year's death total).

And one from self-medicating with fish tank additive.

my buddy was like “Trump said it works”...

my response was...non-FDA and non-pharmacist prepared and non-prescriber monitored.  

he replied,” but same basic chemical Trump said”

I asked him if he thought heroine from the corner was as safe as two Percocet prescribed by his doctor and picked up at CVS...same basic chemical

32 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

No need to get defensive or paranoid.

We like you and your friends.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion/Even if it is wrong.   (Old Fella)

At least the coronavirus deaths in the last 24 hours is finally more than those children killed by abuse/neglect on a daily average so that "fact" will fit your narrative.

Talked to a gal today who owns two businesses. Shes had to lay off people at both.

She called Job Service and they said they cant collect unemployment if they test positive for Coronavirus.

She said well I guess I'm doing them a favor by laying them off now.

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Talked to a gal today who owns two businesses. Shes had to lay off people at both.

She called Job Service and they said they cant collect unemployment if they test positive for Coronavirus.

She said well I guess I'm doing them a favor by laying them off now.

My two best friends own and operate small businesses in MT and WA. Both laid off half their employees yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

My two best friends own and operate small businesses in MT and WA. Both laid off half their employees yesterday.

That’s too bad. What types of businesses? Can you give us some details? Does anyone have any stories of how this is is affecting local businesses?

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You've obviously made sure it is very clear you don't agree with the steps/precautions being put in place. I'm honestly curious what your alternative plan of attack would have been and what you would have deemed acceptable as collateral damage? And understand that if you're wrong, the cat is out of the bag and there isn't a do-over on containing it.

Or maybe you're just venting? It is an incredibly tough situation for everyone but continuing to criticize the experts who are leading this (or tring to) isn't going to magically make it better.

I'm just pointing out statistically this country has many other societal ills that take lives....many more as of today. If you want to believe this country is going to have 100000 lives taken from coronavirus in 4 weeks like the "experts" keep parroting that's up to you.

6 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

That’s too bad. What types of businesses? Can you give us some details? Does anyone have any stories of how this is is affecting local businesses?

Service industry

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm just pointing out statistically this country has many other societal ills that take lives....many more as of today. If you want to believe this country is going to have 100000 lives taken from coronavirus in 4 weeks like the "experts" keep parroting that's up to you.

That's fine and I don't disagree, but I'm genuinely curious on what alternative you would propose for the current issue? 

We can worry about enforcing nanny state laws after this is done with to address the other problems. There is apparently something different in how the experts (who see all the same statistics you keep pointing out) are viewing this vs. other things, so let's take worry about the one right in front of us right now.

I think the challenge is that we haven’t seen the true carnage of this virus, so the Health numbers at this point are far from overwhelming, while the economic numbers On the other hand are devastating.  

From a purely logical perspective if 4% of those afflicted end up in serious/critical condition and this virus Afflicts with symptoms just 10% of the US population (call that 33M), then we have 1.3M people needing hospital support...if 10% of those people die, we’re at 130,000.  Those would be fairly conservative estimates.  

If each death was worth $1M and each surviving hospitalized person was worth $200k, then the break even economic impact is $364T

• Upvote 1

Just now, Redneksioux said:

Can you elaborate why he had to lay off half of his employees in Montana working in the service industry? How did the Coronavirus force him to do that?

I would venture to guess that people aren’t buying the services in this environment of social distancing and self quarantine 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I would venture to guess that people aren’t buying the services in this environment of social distancing and self quarantine 

Electrician friend of mine is dealing with that issue.  Few residential service calls and a lot of businesses he normally works with are closed.