SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

7 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

It's impossible to know. In my mind it's high enough to believe that the death toll is being over-counted, though I admittedly have a bias as I want to be done with this and let people get back to their lives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/health/coronavirus-plague-pandemic-history.html

When will the Covid-19 pandemic end? And how?

According to historians, pandemics typically have two types of endings: the medical, which occurs when the incidence and death rates plummet, and the social, when the epidemic of fear about the disease wanes.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If you think UND wants to shut down campus, you're absolutely out of touch. Like, legitimately zero clue at all.

They are doing everything they can to keep it open, which is why they are doing so much testing to help slow down/prevent excess spread, not so that they can throw in the towel. Students taking a bit more responsibility would be a step in the right direction, but after being locked down and the chances of it being serious to them, I can absolutely see their point of view. 

Armacost is exactly right though, UND shutting down would have a significant impact to the Grand Forks economy, specifically many businesses who have been struggling significantly the last 5 months. He didn't ask for a mask mandate, and I'm not sure that is the answer, but to think the policies city-wide not lining up with UND's and it being irrelevant isn't accurate either. I'm also not sure that closing the bars at 11pm is much more than window dressing, but those businesses have been taking the brunt of things and shutting them down completely doesn't seem fair to them. It's almost like a really complicated answer where the information isn't strictly black and white.

So as a parent of a UND student I personally just got notification of the testing drive today on campus via the UND Safe Campus app, text, voice-mail and email. 

Zero clue? Possibly but when the case numbers of asymptomatic students get to the point it is considered  an "outbreak" due to continued testing drives where do you think this is heading?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

No, of course not.

I simply do not buy the notion that this virus is as deadly as we are being told, I think we have massively overreacted for political reason and I'm tired of watching lives being ruined.

We can't beat death. We have to decide how much risk we are willing to take in our lives and decide to let others do the same within reason. We have to be done with this.

I understand that everyone dies. There's things we do that bring on death quicker and there's things we can do to prolong life. I understand that sometimes death can be out of one's control. 

Trust me, I'd like to be done with this as well. But as I've heard, it is what it is. Some believe the deaths are under-counted, while others believe they are over-counted. I'm tired of watching lives being ruined as well, but to think we are just instantly going to go back to pre-covid normal is not realistic.

5 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

I understand that everyone dies. There's things we do that bring on death quicker and there's things we can do to prolong life. I understand that sometimes death can be out of one's control. 

Trust me, I'd like to be done with this as well. But as I've heard, it is what it is. Some believe the deaths are under-counted, while others believe they are over-counted. I'm tired of watching lives being ruined as well, but to think we are just instantly going to go back to pre-covid normal is not realistic.

I find that people's level of wanting to get back to normal is in direct proportion to how directly their life has been affected by the lockdowns.

If you live in a county in Minnesota with zero deaths or near zero deaths, can you understand the pure fury and rage you would feel if you've gone bankrupt over this?

When my son can go to preschool with no mask on, students everywhere doing what kids do, breathing on each other swapping spit and other bodily fluids because of poor hygiene, but he can't go to kindergarten under the exact same circumstances.

When I can enroll my son in a private school kindergarten, literally across the street from the public school he should be allowed to go into. 

Yeah, when all of these logically ridiculous occurrences are taking place in the name of keeping people safe when all those people would have to do is protect themselves, I'm gonna be slightly upset and I think it's justified.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I find that people's level of wanting to get back to normal is in direct proportion to how directly their life has been affected by the lockdowns.

If you live in a county in Minnesota with zero deaths or near zero deaths, can you understand the pure fury and rage you would feel if you've gone bankrupt over this?

When my son can go to preschool with no mask on, students everywhere doing what kids do, breathing on each other swapping spit and other bodily fluids because of poor hygiene, but he can't go to kindergarten under the exact same circumstances.

When I can enroll my son in a private school kindergarten, literally across the street from the public school he should be allowed to go into. 

Yeah, when all of these logically ridiculous occurrences are taking place in the name of keeping people safe when all those people would have to do is protect themselves, I'm gonna be slightly upset and I think it's justified.

Can't disagree with any of this. But how do you suggest people protect themselves?

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I'll answer that this way.

If I have a severe peanut allergy, I can control my own environment. I can make sure that nothing enters my home or my vehicle or any other space I have control over. Furthermore, I can make rules for those who want to be around me in my spaces that they will follow those to a T or I will be very sick and/or die.

If however, I decide to go to a grocery store or a football game, I don't have the right to ask every person in the store or in the stadium to follow my rules. I, in those situations, have to protect myself from the part of the world that leaves me vulnerable.

This is exactly how I suggest people handle Covid-19.

How many of those allergic to peanuts have died from walking by peanut butter in the grocery store, or by going to a football game where peanuts are served?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

How many of those allergic to peanuts have died from walking by peanut butter in the grocery store, or by going to a football game where peanuts are served?

Your logic would only follow if people were somehow forced to interact with others. In 2020, if you want to never be in the same room as another human, you don't have to.

If you're scared or believe you are at risk due to pre-existing conditions then don't go. Let the rest of us live our lives and decide what our own risk tolerance is.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

You're logic would only follow if people were somehow forced to interact with others. In 2020, if you want to never be in the same room as another human, you don't have to.

If you're scared or believe you are at risk due to pre-existing conditions the don't go. Let the rest of us live our lives and decide what our own risk tolerance is.

Exactly.  Walking by someone, who is infected and not wearing a mask, is very low risk for transmission.  Especially if you are wearing a mask yourself.  Transmission is based on proximity to an infected person and length of time spent in close proximity to that person.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Exactly.  Walking by someone, who is infected and not wearing a mask, is very low risk for transmission.  Especially if you are wearing a mask yourself.  Transmission is based on proximity to an infected person and length of time spent in close proximity to that person.  

i agree with all except the wearing of the mask.  your cloth face covering is worse than useless in trying to protect your self from the virus.

3 hours ago, 1972 said:

i agree with all except the wearing of the mask.  your cloth face covering is worse than useless in trying to protect your self from the virus.

Agreed, type of mask used also makes a huge difference, as well as how you "wear" said mask.

Bottom line, avoid large crowds, limit your interactions, socially distance when you do interact and you will be just fine.  Masks have little effect on the transmission, unless you have the appropriate mask and are wearing it correctly.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I heard from two more people yesterday who tested positive(zero symptoms) and then retested the following day and got a negative. This testing is somehow fatally flawed, more testing is simply leading to fear. It isn't changing anything and is completely unprecedented. We are well past a place where we can isolate cases and stop this from coursing through society. It is now an endemic virus and is here to stay. Shutting down, masking etc. These are simply delaying the inevitable and come with MASSIVE negative effects on our society.

When do you personally say it'll be time to get back to "precovid normal"? What criteria are you basing your opinion on?

Early November...maybe

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

For those with a legal background......NDSU is quarantining Greek houses with a Covid case and will expel any student who leaves their Greek house under quarantine for any reason other than an "emergency".  Can the university have legal protection doing this?

Interesting question. I suppose they could make an argument that the individual is a threat to the other students, but I would think that a school can't dictate otherwise legal behavior off of school property?

I wouldnt be surprised if there is some nonsense in the student handbook or some form students agreed to that somehow allows it. Kinda hope one of the kids leaves the house now though to see what happens. 

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Leftist BS logic. Let's force a lockdown of the entire country economically(antithetical to what Trump wanted) and when the economy tanks we'll keep repeating the mantra "This is Trumps America"

You're like a child who shits his pants and then blames it on his little sister who told him to go sit on the toilet before soiling himself.

I do find it amusing to see Democrat folks claim "LOOK AT THE UNEMPLOYMENT. ECONOMY HAS FAILED THANKS TO DRUMPF!" when countries who did national shutdown schemes took more of a beating economically than we did.

I saw some article yesterday (could be right, could be wrong) that claimed the testing methods used in Germany would only show 10% of the positives we are locating here. So apparently comparing ourselves internationally is a lot more complicated people were realizing.

Then the claim "THIS IS TRUMP'S AMERICA!" regarding protests and riots when those are local problems that Donald really can't do much about. When he does say "Feds will provide assistance" they scream nonsense about him being a dictator or fascist. 

Its absurd to create a problem on your own (whether its local police brutality or criminals rioting/looting) and then blame the Feds who you will not allow to assist.

If they are suggesting that they are rioting BECAUSE Donald is the President, and Biden has suggested that as well, then you are essentially holding the country hostage and saying "This will stop(or decrease significantly) when Trump is gone." Thats both childish and wont go over well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

What percentage of the tests are believed to be flawed? Would you agree that the White House's coronavirus task force should be more concerned about figuring this out instead of reducing the number of people tested?

Unless it recently changed estimates were running that the test was only accurate about 2/3 of the time.  

31 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Your logic would only follow if people were somehow forced to interact with others. In 2020, if you want to never be in the same room as another human, you don't have to.

If you're scared or believe you are at risk due to pre-existing conditions then don't go. Let the rest of us live our lives and decide what our own risk tolerance is.

What percentage of people in the US have underlying conditions making them high risk with covid? And what about essential workers? Should they stay home in their basements too? Live your lives I don't care. Just keep your droplets to yourself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Unless it recently changed estimates were running that the test was only accurate about 2/3 of the time.  

This sounds like a problem. So why is the White House's coronavirus task force not addressing this instead of trying to reduce the number of people tested?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

What percentage of people in the US have underlying conditions making them high risk with covid? And what about essential workers? Should they stay home in their basements too? Live your lives I don't care. Just keep your droplets to yourself.

Your logic is pathetic because you act like Covid is the only risk those with underlying health conditions face......newsflash it's not.  If you are vulnerable, it's up to you to protect yourself.  This "keep your droplets" to yourself is also a whiney worn out response you've been giving for months.  The only way to not get droplets from another human being (any droplets, good, bad, Covid, whatever, is to never leave a sealed room.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

This sounds like a problem. So why is the White House's coronavirus task force not addressing this instead of trying to reduce the number of people tested?

So it's the White Houses fault that the medical community hasn't come up with an accurate test yet?  Listen to yourself!  Is it also the White Houses fault that the medical community hasn't found a cure for cancer yet?  Geezus, what is wrong with you?

Just think of the financial windfall that would come to the first company that develops a fast and accurate Covid test?  Believe me, companies don't need the White House to pressure them to do it 

5 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

What you don't realize(or maybe you do) is your logic has always applied to people's risk in society, you just haven't focused on it until the media told you to.

Thinking this way used to be seen as a sickness in it's own right, you're afraid of other people, afraid of what the world might do to you. It's not healthy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Your logic is pathetic because you act like Covid is the only risk those with underlying health conditions face......newsflash it's not.  If you are vulnerable, it's up to you to protect yourself.  This "keep your droplets" to yourself is also a whiney worn out response you've been giving for months.  The only way to not get droplets from another human being (any droplets, good, bad, Covid, whatever, is to never leave a sealed room.  

Sure it's not the only risk, it's just the biggest risk to those.