SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

25 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Not all heroes wear capes.  Some storm beaches at Normandy on D-Day.  Others limit their time in stores when they have a runny nose.  

I’m curious if you ran into any vulnerable adults while in said stores in those “limited” times...

As the resident grammar nerd, I should have reorganized my sentence for you to say " I only returned back to work after three days of no symptoms and limited my time in stores."

Some "heroes" carry guns to defend against the tyranny of staying at home. I guess it all depends on who you side with, but it seems those with confederate flags have yet to be on the right side of history.

4 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

I don’t know where you live but that’s not the current statement in North Dakota.

Last I checked I can't go to a restaurant......or bar......or a concert at the Alerus.....and UND hockey didn't get to compete for another title....and several of my friends that are in the cosmotology/hair styling field aren't being allowed to work regardless of how well they safeguard/clean their work area, and I can't watch young athletes that are at little to no risk participate in the class B basketball tournament.....so frankly I don't know where you live because that's the situation here.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I too have met mafiaman and donated multiple times to giveaways for the hoggsbreath. Fortunately, I don't equate posts on a message board to the quality of a person. If I had, I'd assume you don't give a !@#$ about anyone over 45, which would wouldn't put you anywhere near a quality person here.

Ironic, but I don’t equate posts on a message board to a person’s quality either...I place far more value on who they are OUTSIDE of a few rants on SiouxSports.com, but I suppose that’s just crazy talk.

38 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

They very well could. Burgum literally laid out guidelines and guidance for starting to reopen the state May 1. 

https://www.governor.nd.gov/news/burgum-extends-business-restrictions-10-days-outlines-path-forward-reopening

Seems like a lot of boxes for Doug to check. Why do I have a feeling we'll hear "2 more weeks" when he addresses this again.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, southpaw said:

So during an emerging pandemic you chose to go to a hockey game while sick? I believe others have provided different definitions of the word idiot, but would certainly fit.

We were told on March 6th that "anybody that wants a test can get a test. That’s what the bottom line is." 

When that was obviously a lie, we were then told that "There’s 10 million tests that are in the market now, with 17 million more coming by the end of the month (March).”

Also a lie. Excuse me if I don't believe everything that is said by the mouthpiece of the lackluster response.

I'm just curious how this desire to reopen the country as soon as possible coincides with the new closure on immigration. I assume Mafiaman will be the first in line to pick up the need for farming or factory jobs.

My wife got sick as the game was starting.  *She spent most of the first period being sick in the bathroom.  we went home as soon as she cam back to get me at our seats.   

I'm a big supporter of stay at home to help stop the spread.  We were in a different time then but thanks for the reprimand and for calling me an idiot. 

*edited from we to she - mistyped the first time

27 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Gov. Newsome was just on the national media signaling for extended shutdown.  I receive the same data that he does, but apparently I see things differently.  I see trailing indicators remaining steady but leading indicators trending down...significantly.  We also just had a study come out of USC with the belief that there is higher immunity in the general population than previously believed.

Newsome signaled that the rules in CA could apply through the summer into the fall.  He reinforced vaccine and testing...

Looks like the goal posts moved.

I am fortunate to have job security through this with the ability to work from home and to be in a healthcare sector that is not hurt by this.  I do feel the pain of my children missing their friends and their activities.  My daughter especially misses her friends and teacher.  My son is reeling in fear that the Brick Hockey Tournament he worked so hard to earn a place at will be canceled.  I can't imagine if financial insecurity was added to my plate as it is for many.  Everybody needs hope of normalcy returning before we all break down.  Public Health is not the superordinate objective of a people or their government.  It is one of a number of things- our politicians need to remember that.  America is literally a month from chaos...I pray that politics does not blind policy makers.   

The data suggest most everything we were initially told was incorrect. The asymptomatic infectious rate is exponentially higher. The death rate will be much lowered.

"Save Lives"........drumbeat from day 1. Deaths are now significantly down from initial projected highs of 1-2M. Goalposts now shifting to testing, vaccine, second wave.......

Almost all decisions made moving forward will be done with some political agenda behind them. It's the environment we are now in.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

My wife got sick as the game was starting.  We spent most of the first period being sick in the bathroom.  we went home as soon as she cam back to get me at our seats.   

I'm a big supporter of stay at home to help stop the spread.  We were in a different time then but thanks for the reprimand and for calling me an idiot. 

So you didn't go the MOA the next day?? Just asking for a friend.

51 minutes ago, southpaw said:

If I had, I'd assume you don't give a !@#$ about anyone over 45, which would wouldn't put you anywhere near a quality person here.

So I went for a walk last night and came within 20 yards of an elderly couple in their late 70’s or maybe early 80’s (also our for a walk).  Should I feel guilty for not staying at home so they could feel safer?  

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So I went for a walk last night and came within 20 yards of an elderly couple in their late 70’s or maybe early 80’s (also our for a walk).  Should I feel guilty for not staying at home so they could feel safer?  

you are pure evil...LOL

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The data suggest most everything we were initially told was incorrect. The asymptomatic infectious rate is exponentially higher. The death rate will be much lowered.

"Save Lives"........drumbeat from day 1. Deaths are now significantly down from initial projected highs of 1-2M. Goalposts now shifting to testing, vaccine, second wave.......

Almost all decisions made moving forward will be done with some political agenda behind them. It's the environment we are now in.

It is almost like this whole thing was caused by a novel virus and experts were scrambling to figure out what they were dealing with while having limited information.....

I don't think there was ever any doubt abotu testing/vaccine/second wave either. The "Hammer and Dance" theory has been pretty much what was originally touted with the severity of the Hammer portion being debated and implemented differently. The original steps of closing things down were the most direct mitgation steps available and were taken to allow time for the testing and vaccine to be developed along with slowing the spread, again done with the info experts had at the time but knowing they needed to buy time.

The environment has been that way since before this started and that goes for both sides. Trump downplaying it and saying the end of February US cases of 15 would go down to zero shortly. D's criticizing travel restrictions. R's pretending those same travel restrictions actually had any teeth when put in place. Pelois withholding funds for small businesses. It is all politics.

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It is almost like this whole thing was caused by a novel virus and experts were scrambling to figure out what they were dealing with while having limited information.....

I don't think there was ever any doubt abotu testing/vaccine/second wave either. The "Hammer and Dance" theory has been pretty much what was originally touted with the severity of the Hammer portion being debated and implemented differently. The original steps of closing things down were the most direct mitgation steps available and were taken to allow time for the testing and vaccine to be developed along with slowing the spread, again done with the info experts had at the time but knowing they needed to buy time.

The environment has been that way since before this started and that goes for both sides. Trump downplaying it and saying the end of February US cases of 15 would go down to zero shortly. D's criticizing travel restrictions. R's pretending those same travel restrictions actually had any teeth when put in place. Pelois withholding funds for small businesses. It is all politics.

I thought the shutdown was to flatten the curve so we didn't overwhelm ICUs and vents...I bought into that as logical in major metros.  It was a real issue in NYC and NOLA.  

I am not advocating for the end of all common sense related to this...but don't we have the right to peacefully assemble under the constitution...don't we also have inalienable rights...oh, I forgot that "TJ" is no longer respected by many...

Someone needs to describe what "taking Berlin" looks like in this fight and call out what happens then.  It will certainly be a political hot potato, but we can't go on indefinitely without hope.

• Upvote 2

General question: Do people believe that shutting down the national economy, severely limiting business and travel, banning events larger than 10 people, closing down schools, implementing nationwide social distancing and stay at home measures, had absolutely no impact on the ~30-40k  covid deaths we have experienced in the past month?

Or is the general belief that continuing these measures now outweigh the benefit that they provide? 

4 minutes ago, dynato said:

General question: Do people believe that shutting down the national economy, severely limiting business and travel, banning events larger than 10 people, closing down schools, implementing nationwide social distancing and stay at home measures, had absolutely no impact on the ~30-40k  covid deaths we have experienced in the past month?

Or is the general belief that continuing these measures now outweigh the benefit that they provide? 

No

Yes

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I thought the shutdown was to flatten the curve so we didn't overwhelm ICUs and vents...I bought into that as logical in major metros.  It was a real issue in NYC and NOLA.  

I am not advocating for the end of all common sense related to this...but don't we have the right to peacefully assemble under the constitution...don't we also have inalienable rights...oh, I forgot that "TJ" is no longer respected by many...

Someone needs to describe what "taking Berlin" looks like in this fight and call out what happens then.  It will certainly be a political hot potato, but we can't go on indefinitely without hope.

The shutdown was the "Hammer" part of the theory and was to do exactly that. It was applied (to varying degrees) across the US when it appears it could have been looser in some places and probably done a bit sooner in others. But again, novel virus and all, experts were still trying to understand the virus (and still are).

The "Dance" part allows exactly as you describe. Be able to get back to normal but do so in a way that flare-ups and hot spots can be immediately addressed, to help prevent a huge second wave, but that requires testing and/or vaccines, which required time to develop. 

As with everything, hindsight makes it easy to be criticial of decisions. It becomes even more magnified in situatoni this because we know what the results are but neither side can prove out what would have happened if a different course of action would have been taken. One side will say "we did too much" and the other "it worked, deaths were significantly less than they could have been". Both are probably right but will never agree.

32 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The shutdown was the "Hammer" part of the theory and was to do exactly that. It was applied (to varying degrees) across the US when it appears it could have been looser in some places and probably done a bit sooner in others. But again, novel virus and all, experts were still trying to understand the virus (and still are).

The "Dance" part allows exactly as you describe. Be able to get back to normal but do so in a way that flare-ups and hot spots can be immediately addressed, to help prevent a huge second wave, but that requires testing and/or vaccines, which required time to develop

As with everything, hindsight makes it easy to be criticial of decisions. It becomes even more magnified in situatoni this because we know what the results are but neither side can prove out what would have happened if a different course of action would have been taken. One side will say "we did too much" and the other "it worked, deaths were significantly less than they could have been". Both are probably right but will never agree.

You do realize there won't be a society to return to at that point.

Curious..... jobless claims report comes out Thursday again. What's an acceptable % of unemployment before this has to end?? 20%? 25%?

3 minutes ago, bison73 said:

The media isnt about good news.  Its fear mongering and tabloid journalism.

It has actually been in the news a lot and Gilead stock is up around 10% over the last month.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/16/health/coronavirus-remdesivir-trial/index.html

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-04-21/more-good-news-on-remdesivirs-power-to-treat-covid-19

https://www.foxnews.com/science/experimental-coronavirus-drug-remdesivir-chicago-trial-shows-promise

11 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I keep getting frustrated with people calling out testing as the key.  To what end?  Do we force quarantine those positives?  That's a scary slippery slope.  You are positive for the virus, therefore you don't have the same rights as others...imagine substituting coronavirus as the virus with influenza or pneumonia or HIV...

I'll show my age here, but quarantines were "common" in my youth. In the 60s I saw, or was affected by public health lockdowns in response to scarlet fever, tuberculosis and polio. Families were closed in their homes until they were clear of infection. I wouldn't be against similar measures as we move forward in today's pandemic.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic