SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

ummmm...not sure where you have come up with this...If you want to go by ethnicity in the USA and blood type,  26% of African Americans have type A blood whereas 40% of people of European ancestry have type A blood.  Let's be careful in bringing in ethnicity.  Not saying you're a crazy, but even broaching the subject can bring in crazies.

Was told this by a PhD nurse so didn't check it.  Sorry.

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

Thanks I missed you guys!

It is a mess but it was a mess that was allowed to happen. 

How essential of a business is it now that they are shut down? 

So now your argument is that food is not essential, and that darn South Dakota governor should’ve shut it down?   

Why don’t you ask your question of the livestock producers that are now sitting with full yards and pot loads of slaughterweight livestock already heading to market.   Or the end users who now are suddenly unable to secure product.  

You remind me of the type of person who might think that milk originates at a grocery store.   Or that the brown cows produce the chocolate.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So now your argument is that food is not essential, and that darn South Dakota governor should’ve shut it down?   

Why don’t you ask your question of the livestock producers that are now sitting with full yards and pot loads of slaughterweight livestock already heading to market.   Or the end users who now are suddenly unable to secure product.  

You remind me of the type of person who might think that milk originates at a grocery store.   Or that the brown cows produce the chocolate.  

Look at the raw milk being dumped

why not use this, make cheese and use it next year at schools,

fruit and vegetables being left in the fields because of low demand

? Can’t be frozen for schools.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Like I said....follow the money.  

Breaking News: New York City’s coronavirus death toll soared past 10,000 after officials added more than 3,700 people who had never tested positive for the virus but were presumed to have died of it. https://t.co/NXpgwwltWi

Covid is difficult to test for.  As such, NYC is basically following the CDC's protocol and standards for flu reporting.    

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Was told this by a PhD nurse so didn't check it.  Sorry.

Her voice is so low that I is misinterpreted what she said.   Italians are generally old age in Europe  and have more than the usual Type A blood.  Those combined made the Italian fatality rate high.  African Americans have higher than normal risk factors, diabetes, blood pressure, lung issues, etc, so she said they will have higher fatality rates too.

19 minutes ago, keikla said:

Shhhh it's all a conspiracy.

Well we know one number that's pretty solid. Those currently unemployed. So there's that.

2200 ND oil patch workers have filled unemployment claims so far in March.

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Her voice is so low that I is misinterpreted what she said.   Italians are generally old age in Europe  and have more than the usual Type A blood.  Those combined made the Italian fatality rate high.  African Americans have higher than normal risk factors, diabetes, blood pressure, lung issues, etc, so she said they will have higher fatality rates too.

Those are secondary factors.   Covid is hitting African Americans hard because of socio-economic reasons.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Those are secondary factors.   Covid is hitting African Americans hard because of socio-economic reasons.   

I'll be damn.  Covid affects socio-economic conditions rather than health.  News flash.

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Well we know one number that's pretty solid. Those currently unemployed. So there's that.

2200 ND oil patch workers have filled unemployment claims so far in March.

Well, OK.   Not that unemployment in ND has anything to do with coronavirus reporting standards and procedures in NYC, but carry on regardless.    

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I'll be damn.  Covid affects socio-economic conditions rather than health.  News flash.

Actually, the real reason is the propensity for 5G towers to ravage inner-city populations.  Let's stay on topic here. 

37 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

That is fact.  In the USA it is unfortunate but minorities have an over representative number of chronic conditions and less access to high quality care- by choice and not by choice.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, keikla said:

I wonder if the states have smoothed out cross-reporting yet.  I knew of a couple in NY who went to a NJ hospital to get tested because it was closer to where they lived.  When I had talked to the county DOH about them, DOH knew nothing about their positives and said that there isnt a set system for reporting across state lines.  That was early on when the DOH was monitoring every single positive or suspected positive patient.

I just wonder if that has had any notable difference in numbers.

That’s an important consideration.  

23 minutes ago, keikla said:

I really did want the source reference for these stats, if you have it.  Mostly because I'm interested to see if a high BMI is being included as a 'pre-existing condition'.

High BMI...every athlete and ex-athlete

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, keikla said:

Exactly.  I will say that most of the younger patients I've seen intubated have been slightly on the heavier side, not athletic.  But 'heavier' to the extent of "hey, maybe try to lose some weight cause you're more likely to develop diseases in the future" not "holy, your weight is an immediate issue now" if that makes sense.  Since I'm outside NYC limits, our patients aren't reflected in those stats, but I feel like we've seen more young and healthy patients die than shown with those numbers.

Any commonalities in the younger deaths?   Any common lab results?  Any merit to the zinc deficiency “theories”?

The drug Actemra (used for RA) appears to have shown some promise for reducing the cytokine storm in some patients.  Has anyone heard of this ?  

To get back to some state of normal we need a vaccine or something that can treat the symptoms of the virus and reduce mortality.  Without that I don’t see how we have a football or hockey season this fall (at least with fans in the stands).

Hopefully someone will find a way to successfully treat the severe cases in the next few months. 

My sincere thanks to those on the frontlines that are battling this virus every day.