SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

27 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Early count is 18 killed by tornadoes that ripped thru southern states over the weekend. Mississippi reporting 11 deaths. 18 is more then corona deaths so far in the Dakotas. 

umm...two more weeks Bro.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, keikla said:

I remember standing at an intersection in Germany, waiting for the crosswalk light to signal it was ok to walk.  There were no cars in sight, and yet the large number of pedestrians patiently waited for that light to turn.  I remember being absolutely flabbergasted at the adherence to the rules.  It seems to have served them quite well.

Right, the “what would the children think” campaign worked! 

On a Sidenote our cases per 1M population are in line with Germany’s:  1693 vs 1526.  Our deaths per million are higher at 67 vs 36, but that’s probably driven by the underlying health conditions of our general pop.

Germany benefited  by the buffer countries of Austria and Switzerland.  Italy is a bit of an anomaly.  High density in Northern Italy and very old population.  I since I lived in Italy for 3+ years I checked how it affected San Marino a small republic in middle and eastern portion of Italy.  Quite a difference in cases and deaths.

42 minutes ago, keikla said:

I remember standing at an intersection in Germany, waiting for the crosswalk light to signal it was ok to walk.  There were no cars in sight, and yet the large number of pedestrians patiently waited for that light to turn.  I remember being absolutely flabbergasted at the adherence to the rules.  It seems to have served them quite well.

LOL.  I had the exact same experience, except the small group of Americans I was with started to cross.  We got yelled at in German and stayed on the sidewalk until the light turned green.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

They have a very tight culture. That’s comes in handy when following rules will save lives

Germany's population of 84M+ people crammed into a geographic area half the size of Texas. One size fits all worked for them. Definitely can't argue with their results.

Wyoming is roughly 2x the geographic size of NY but NY has 33x the population. NY unfortunately has a chance to hit 10K deaths today. Wyoming is looking for their first. One size fits all in the US is still the cry by some. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Germany's population of 84M+ people crammed into a geographic area half the size of Texas. One size fits all worked for them. Definitely can't argue with their results.

Wyoming is roughly 2x the geographic size of NY but NY has 33x the population. NY unfortunately has a chance to hit 10K deaths today. Wyoming is looking for their first. One size fits all in the US is still the cry by some. 

So true.  I would guess IHME will need another change in their model today or next couple of days.  Most states have reached the apex or close to reaching the apex.  60k deaths is an over reach.

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Extremely valid point.  Culturally and economically the US is more akin to several nations.  There was a great book written many years ago titled the 9 nations of North America.  It was standard issue to the KGB, as one strategy was you can only take down the US from inside itself by exploiting these differences.  

anyway, they break it down into New England, Dixie, The islands (sliver of south Florida), the Foundry, The Breadbasket, Tex-Mex, Ecotopia, and the Empty (Resource) quarter.  For those keeping score at home, the 9th nation is Quebec , but it’s entirely in Canada.

fascinatingly, major cities appear as “nation” capitols, and major cities appear on borders between “nations” as trade Centers.  For example Chicago is where the breadbasket meets the foundry. Denver is where the empty corridor meets the breadbasket.  New York is where the foundry meets the world.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, rochsioux said:

I get really tired of all the politically motivated attacks from both sides. 

Most of the 2008 bailouts were actually paid back to the government.  The government broke even or may have made a little money from “bailing out” the banks, auto companies, and mortgage lenders. 

One side complains about health care but has no good policy to fix it.  They complain about Obamacare and say they want to repeal it but never do even though they had control of all branches.

One side claims the rich should be taxed more.  When they had control of all branches did they do this ?  No.  Did they get rid of all the tax loopholes they like to complain about.  No. 

Me thinks that both parties would rather complain and point figures than actually do anything.  They’re too busy worrying about how they’re going to get re-elected.  It’s easier and safer to blame and complain then to actually implement a solution. 

We have a Bingo! Hold your cards. For most of the Democrats and Republicans in Congress it is like a pre scripted Pro Wrestling storyline.

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2020 at 3:30 PM, Oxbow6 said:

2000+ hospital beds in ND. 10 current COVID inpatients in the state. Sanford wants to turn Fargodome into a COVID field hospital. Healthcare systems in ND are going broke.

FYI, they did set up the Fargodome. The entire football field is covered in beds. 

1 hour ago, keikla said:

i just saw this the other day in downtown grand forks...guy on the corner across from sky's....not a damn car to be seen or heard anywhere....just standing there with his dog waiting forthe light to change...he didn't move even when i kept going.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

You just can’t extrapolate healthcare cross culturally. 

5 minutes ago, keikla said:

Based on admissions rates or testing?  I haven't followed other states outside the tristate area, so I'm just curious what suggests that.

Unfortunately NY's 'apex' appears to be a plateau.  Hopefully we reach the other side soon, cause I'm tired.

Most of us are tired of just staying home, but to have to be in the midst of all of it must take a toll none of us can imagine,  with the anxiety and physical and mental exhaustion.  We appreciate you keeping up the good fight.  

38 minutes ago, keikla said:

Based on admissions rates or testing?  I haven't followed other states outside the tristate area, so I'm just curious what suggests that.

Unfortunately NY's 'apex' appears to be a plateau.  Hopefully we reach the other side soon, cause I'm tired.

I was checking 3 different sites.  And it was both tests and deaths for the whole state.  NYC is a plateau or just initial decline.  You are in the middle of it.  Keep up the good fight.