SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

8 minutes ago, keikla said:

Throughout this entire thing, we have needed to revamp our protocol every two to three days.  That's how quickly new information is coming out, or we're noticing new trends.  Thus far, roughly 80% of intubated covid patients in the NYC area have died.  I think that percentage will actually increase before it decreases, as a number of families haven't yet decided to terminally extubate a loved one.  For reference, the average death rate for patients vented for a respiratory illness is usually closer to 40%. 

It all just goes to show how little we know about covid itself and how to treat it.  I hope they are constantly reviewing their protocol and analyzing the literature (truly analyzing...you'd be surprised how much crap NEJM puts out), so that they are prepared if need be.

I read that stat somewhere........wow. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Let's just take any personal accountability out of everything and blame it on the government??  Come on now!

BTW your current A1C is better than a vast majority of T2s out there. Good work.

No I believe in personal accountability.  At my age I enough not to believe what the gov't promotes.  

My Doc was happy.  4 months earlier he Was pushing more meds.  He and I don't see much eye to to eye.  I did most of the research myself.  My plan is to get under 6.0 and get off everything.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Yah....but what else is going on at those hospitals right now?

25 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

60-80% less of what was going on pre-COVID.

22 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Only.......definitely.

Has to be a huge financial strain.
There will be lots of should da, would da, could da.
We may still be in the early stages of all this.
Or, it soon could be over.
Hopefully there's lots of "Did it Right". 

8 minutes ago, keikla said:

That's really unfortunate, as every med has it's own list of side effects.  It doesn't take much to start needing meds to deal with side effects of meds.  Obviously diet and exercise won't solve every disease, but there are so many meds that people could stop taking by losing weight and getting healthier.  It is incredibly refreshing and inspiring to see a patient getting after it!

Thanks.  I have always been concerned with the side effects.  You are right get healthy while you can.

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I have been type 2 diabetic for about 4 years.  Just taking pills metformin and Now Jardiance for about a year.  On Medicare, blue cross and another plan for the drugs.  So on a plan to reverse the type 2 since Thanksgiving.  I started exercising just walking once and sometimes twice a day.  Reduced my carbs big time.  Lost 17 pounds in 3 months.  Dropped my A1C from 7.0 to 6.4. In that timeframe.  I was due for refills and the Jardiance was $550 for the next 3 months.  I told the pharmacy. To keep them.  Now just metformin until I drop another 15 to 20 with the exercise and killing the carbs.   wonderful that the gov't food pyramid promoted bread, pasta, rice.  Loved those carbs for years.  But then the gov't knows best.  Follow the money.

Don't even get me started on the food pyramid scam and the Lipid Hypothesis bull$%!# study. Junk science formed the foundation of our nutrition guidelines and look at how nice and fat America has gotten.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Don't even get me started on the food pyramid scam and the Lipid Hypothesis bull$%!# study. Junk science formed the foundation of our nutrition guidelines and look at how nice and fat America has gotten.

Prohibition 2.0?

Just saw Bundesliga Soccer League in Germany going to be giving it a go hopefully by next month albeit without fans.

Hopefully southpaw was consulted prior to making this decision.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Precisely

55 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Just saw Bundesliga Soccer League in Germany going to be giving it a go hopefully by next month albeit without fans.

Germany's been hit hard, but their preparation, tracking and response to Covid has been 1st-rate.  One of the few countries to get it right, all things considered.  It's no surprise they're in the position to continue Bundesliga play.          

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think you can point the obesity problem more on restaurants going to a buffet or bigger portion business model and the lack of physical activity of our youth. I remember around 1970 when kids could start opting out of PE. It seem to have gotten worse since then.

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

No I believe in personal accountability.  At my age I enough not to believe what the gov't promotes.  

My Doc was happy.  4 months earlier he Was pushing more meds.  He and I don't see much eye to to eye.  I did most of the research myself.  My plan is to get under 6.0 and get off everything.

I haven’t kept a PCP for more than 1.5 years over the last 10.  I’m an ex athlete- At 6’1 205 i carried around 9% body fat.  I’m 235 now. Genetically, EVERY male on my maternal side has/had hypertension and high cholesterol (my bp was 140/90 as a high school athlete) I’ve never had a fasting glucose above 95, yet this last dude ordered an A1C...it came back a 5.0..he was honestly disappointed.   He wanted me to be metabolic syndrome, because it’s easy.  Genetically high blood pressure and high cholesterol (interestingly with a perfect ratio) and low triglycerides is more complicated than they want to deal with.  It didn’t help that the doc was about the size I was at 12-13....

I could certainly lose a few pounds, but work and kids get in the way.  I traded great health first for education, then for $, them for family, then for more $...life’s about tradeoffs.

8 minutes ago, bison73 said:

I think you can point the obesity problem more on restaurants going to a buffet or bigger portion business model and the lack of physical activity of our youth. I remember around 1970 when kids could start opting out of PE. It seem to have gotten worse since then.

You take the fat out of food it tastes like crap. Along comes the sugar industry with their low calorie harmless product and they stick it in everything. BTW the carbs in the food pyramid were supposed to come mostly from vegetables. The grain industry got their greasy mits on that to protect the farmers and boom, type ii diabetes slowly climbs.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, keikla said:

I thought I was doing well with keeping the same one since moving to NY.  Then I mentioned at my most recent physical that I wanted to switch my prn migraine med cause it didn't seem as efficacious anymore.  This guy pulls out his phone to show me some crap* study about how ginger is more effective than sumatriptan for migraines.  He told me to keep my current med, and if ever I felt like it didnt work, to put ginger in some tea and drink that. :glare:

Needless to say, finding a new PCP is on the post-covid to-do list.

*I actually looked into the study to confirm it was poorly designed, plus they played with the stats to provide better looking numbers.

Right- I mean, I’m all for natural and holistic too, but get real.  I think finding a good PCP who listens, thinks, and understands that many of his/her patients didn’t just fall off a turnip truck is like finding a needle in a haystack...

I had a pediatrician tell my wife and I about his concerns over my daughter’s BMI when she was 4...what??  She was built like a little gymnast.  Super athletic and strong, and not at all fat...indoctrination...oh, and Scandinavian/Germanic people are more dense in terms of bones and musculature than average...do a body fat visual you Jack wagon.

The way things are going in primary care these days, you will be lucky to find a PCP physician...  There are fewer every year. And everyone wants to find some.

We will all likely be mostly cared for by ancillary providers (NP/PA types) if things don't change.  Not that there is anything wrong with physician extenders directly- I've worked with several just as good as MDs, but that is not the majority..  When complex patients need management, MDs just (usually) do a better job. There are those whom that is not true about as well.

At any rate care quality is really an issue these days. I really feel for those who don't have a trusted PCP.

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

That's what can happen when the country shuts down, people stay home, and businesses receive the financial support they need to keep everyone employed. Even freelancers or self employed people are receiving significant financial help due to loss of business. 

Germany has handled this about as well as possible and we are already seeing the results as some public places are opening up again. 

3 hours ago, LuvHockey said:

The way things are going in primary care these days, you will be lucky to find a PCP physician...  There are fewer every year. And everyone wants to find some.

We will all likely be mostly cared for by ancillary providers (NP/PA types) if things don't change.  Not that there is anything wrong with physician extenders directly- I've worked with several just as good as MDs, but that is not the majority..  When complex patients need management, MDs just (usually) do a better job. There are those whom that is not true about as well.

At any rate care quality is really an issue these days. I really feel for those who don't have a trusted PCP.

Yeah- why go to med school to make less than a coder.  

5 hours ago, southpaw said:

That's what can happen when the country shuts down, people stay home, and businesses receive the financial support they need to keep everyone employed. Even freelancers or self employed people are receiving significant financial help due to loss of business. 

Germany has handled this about as well as possible and we are already seeing the results as some public places are opening up again. 

They have a very tight culture. That’s comes in handy when following rules will save lives

• Upvote 1

Early count is 18 killed by tornadoes that ripped thru southern states over the weekend. Mississippi reporting 11 deaths. 18 is more then corona deaths so far in the Dakotas.