SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota High School hockey

tnt

32 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

Jamestown would be the #5 seed in the MN - A tournament (Not a joke)...This is an embarrassment to hockey.

That's what happens when you have 8 sections and some care more about basketball.  Hutchinson may have been lucky to be a #4 seed in Section 8.

And in section 8 basketball is dominated by the southern Highway 10 schools that don't have hockey.

You can't seed half the state and play two region tourneys.  Each section has about 10 teams.

6 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

That's what happens when you have 8 sections and some care more about basketball.  Hutchinson may have been lucky to be a #4 seed in Section 8.

And in section 8 basketball is dominated by the southern Highway 10 schools that don't have hockey.

You can't seed half the state and play two region tourneys.  Each section has about 10 teams.

I should also note that yes class A always has two sections that send teams that don't belong.  Usually from the southern part of the state though Fergus was that team throughout the late 90s early 00s.  Teams up north would love to get more in, but it is what makes making state so special as the section tourney up north can be a grind.  I believe Warroad, EGF, and TRF were all ranked in the top 10.  Only one made state.

7 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Kittson County Central was the #4 seed in Section 8-A and even though they barely beat Mayville a couple times (one game was 9-7) I would like their chances against Hutch

1 hour ago, franchise said:

Yeah, Slukynsky should de-commit.

Hat trick in 6 mins?:love:

So Warroad fans claim UND, Gophers and UM Duluth all passed on Slukynsky. Anyone know the story? It’s hard for me to believe the kid chooses N Michigan over UND, Duluth, Wisconsin or the Gophers. The kid is big, strong, smart, plays both ends of the ice, great passer, great vision and can snipe. How did we lose him???

10 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

So Warroad fans claim UND, Gophers and UM Duluth all passed on Slukynsky. Anyone know the story? It’s hard for me to believe the kid chooses N Michigan over UND, Duluth, Wisconsin or the Gophers. The kid is big, strong, smart, plays both ends of the ice, great passer, great vision and can snipe. How did we lose him???

He will play in the USHL starting next week and next year with Fargo; we will find out then against real competition if anyone of those big four missed out.  Maybe the kid finds Northern Michigan a better fit for him and would rather play there and be a top 6 guy.  You never know.  Hate to say anyone is missing out or dismiss one school over another without knowing the inside scoop.

33 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

He will play in the USHL starting next week and next year with Fargo; we will find out then against real competition if anyone of those big four missed out.  Maybe the kid finds Northern Michigan a better fit for him and would rather play there and be a top 6 guy.  You never know.  Hate to say anyone is missing out or dismiss one school over another without knowing the inside scoop.

Thus my question. 

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

I know UND hasn’t offered a bunch of legacy recruits early.  Curious to know if they talked to them all and needed to see more and the kids didn’t want to wait and took offers that were there, or if UND didn’t show much interest at all.  Three of those guys from Omaha became top scorers for them in Archibald, Morelli and Ward.  It will hurt to see Slukynsky become another legacy guy who stands out for another team as well.  To be fair, at that age it is tough to project, but you would think they could get a few guys to wait a year longer before they commit so young with the prospects of playing and developing at the Ralph.  Hopefully guys like Blake, Panzer and Ausmus can make up for some that we lost.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tnt said:

I know UND hasn’t offered a bunch of legacy recruits early.  Curious to know if they talked to them all and needed to see more and the kids didn’t want to wait and took offers that were there, or if UND didn’t show much interest at all.  Three of those guys from Omaha became top scorers for them in Archibald, Morelli and Ward.  It will hurt to see Slukynsky become another legacy guy who stands out for another team as well.  To be fair, at that age it is tough to project, but you would think they could get a few guys to wait a year longer before they commit so young with the prospects of playing and developing at the Ralph.  Hopefully guys like Blake, Panzer and Ausmus can make up for some that we lost.

Remember Z Yon looked like a god on Ice in the MN tourney with Roseau that year....

It was a long journey playing through tougher competition to finally make it to GF and be the role guy he is today.

Im not sure if he has signed a NLI or what the plans are, when he committed or if the new rules would have given him more time to shine.

Time will tell, but he is fun to watch right now in this tourney.

To be fair, the 1A semifinals are going to be great.  Any four of those teams could win the title.  Should be some pretty good & entertaining hockey.

As bad as the 3A rep Hutchinson got boat raced (as did the 1A and 5A reps) they need to keep the Sections how they have them.  Hockey is growing in southern MN and in a few more years you'll see the 3A schools become more competitive.  Also, need Section 1A to grow and growth in the Rochester Area.  No idea how Rochester is going to support 3 Class AA high schools (Century, John Marshall, Mayo) and 1 Class A school (Lourdes) when the youth hockey program doesn't even field a AA Bantam team instead fielding 2 Bantam A, 2 B1, and 2 B2 teams.

Yeah, you could argue the state tournament should have the best teams in the state.  I would argue that shutting out the southern schools and not giving them access to State would lead to death of programs that are trying to grow or just trying to hang on.  

Good article by McFeely that touches on subjects related to this.  Class AA is becoming a Metro party.

LINK

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

To be fair, the 1A semifinals are going to be great.  Any four of those teams could win the title.  Should be some pretty good & entertaining hockey.

As bad as the 3A rep Hutchinson got boat raced (as did the 1A and 5A reps) they need to keep the Sections how they have them.  Hockey is growing in southern MN and in a few more years you'll see the 3A schools become more competitive.  Also, need Section 1A to grow and growth in the Rochester Area.  No idea how Rochester is going to support 3 Class AA high schools (Century, John Marshall, Mayo) and 1 Class A school (Lourdes) when the youth hockey program doesn't even field a AA Bantam team instead fielding 2 Bantam A, 2 B1, and 2 B2 teams.

Yeah, you could argue the state tournament should have the best teams in the state.  I would argue that shutting out the southern schools and not giving them access to State would lead to death of programs that are trying to grow or just trying to hang on.  

Good article by McFeely that touches on subjects related to this.  Class AA is becoming a Metro party.

LINK

You just lost all credibility! 

jk :)