SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota High School hockey

tnt

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

It’s because of the pull-up thing, right?;)

One of the Middelstadt's scored in the first period and came out of the group celly holding his shoulder. Made me laugh and think of the pull-ups.

*Cough* Pu$$y *cough*

:D

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ksixpack said:

Jamestown would be the #5 seed in the MN - A tournament (Not a joke)...This is an embarrassment to hockey.

No they wouldn't, they'd be the 6 at best. Lately in class A the top 5 are solid and then you get 3 that aren't quite at that same level. Although a couple years you've had one of those unseeded teams make a run like Monticello a couple times. The way it is setup a lot of times you have at least 2 and sometimes 3 blowouts in the quarterfinals. Big part of the reason this year though is just how good the top 3 seeds are. Cathedral has beat the #1 seed in AA Andover this year and we have heard for years now about how Hermantown should move up to AA. They do play AA in youth hockey and have success there too so I don't quite get why they are so hesitant to move up. 

5 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

To be fair, the 1A semifinals are going to be great.  Any four of those teams could win the title.  Should be some pretty good & entertaining hockey.

As bad as the 3A rep Hutchinson got boat raced (as did the 1A and 5A reps) they need to keep the Sections how they have them.  Hockey is growing in southern MN and in a few more years you'll see the 3A schools become more competitive.  Also, need Section 1A to grow and growth in the Rochester Area.  No idea how Rochester is going to support 3 Class AA high schools (Century, John Marshall, Mayo) and 1 Class A school (Lourdes) when the youth hockey program doesn't even field a AA Bantam team instead fielding 2 Bantam A, 2 B1, and 2 B2 teams.

Yeah, you could argue the state tournament should have the best teams in the state.  I would argue that shutting out the southern schools and not giving them access to State would lead to death of programs that are trying to grow or just trying to hang on.  

Good article by McFeely that touches on subjects related to this.  Class AA is becoming a Metro party.

LINK

It would be really hard to get the best class A teams to state. A lot of years 2 of the top 5/6 teams are in 8A. You look at this year and EGF and Warroad were basically in the top 5 all year. I wouldn't mind sliding a program like Cathedral into 5A and strengthen it a little bit as Alexandria has seemed to be on the rise a little in 6A and Little Falls seems to be coming back a little bit. I really don't know what you could possibly do to strengthen 1A and 3A. Lourdes has had a couple decent teams out of 1A at times.

Just keep giving them access to State and support hockey in southern MN.  It may take years but they'll get better.  Already see the improvement in 3A programs like Luverne, New Ulm, Hutch, LDC, Marshall over years past.  Heck, I remember when some of these towns didn't have programs and were just getting youth programs started.  It takes a while to catch up.

I think if you're going to load up on AA opponents during the regular season, you shouldn't be allowed to slum it back to A come tournament time.  I'm talking to you, Mahtomedi.  Suburban school, 92% white, almost $100K median household income. 

"But we're a small school..."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tbone said:

Actually, I believe that you can.

Man, that ‘91 Northern Michigan team was dominant. I still recall seeing them run roughshod through virtually everybody they played. The names that stick out to me on that team were Dallas Drake and Scott Beattie. 

2 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Man, that ‘91 Northern Michigan team was dominant. I still recall seeing them run roughshod through virtually everybody they played. The names that stick out to me on that team were Dallas Drake and Scott Beattie. 

Goalie Billy Pye - Northern Michigan was down to BU in the title game 3-0...they scored 5 times in the 2nd and eventually won in 3OT.  

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Goalie Billy Pye - Northern Michigan was down to BU in the title game 3-0...they scored 5 times in the 2nd and eventually won in 3OT.  

Holy moly!

How did David Emma ever win the Hobey that year? -East coast bias??

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

One of the Middelstadt's scored in the first period and came out of the group celly holding his shoulder. Made me laugh and think of the pull-ups.

*Cough* Pu$$y *cough*

:D

Let’s relive and enjoy the picture that never gets old, shall we?

81D5B52A-0B7C-4DF9-A1DE-C40B37A5A7C6.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Then make one GF team at the end of the year and play the winner of AA and even single A for border battle bragging rights. 

Never gonna happen, but can’t imagine how good 1 GF team would be back in the day. 

I would like to see a all GF/EFG team and play in Section 8

36 minutes ago, MrEdway said:

I would like to see a all GF/EFG team and play in Section 8

So instead of 36 forwards 18-24 d men and 6 goalies we get an “all-star” team with 1/3 those numbers. Why would anyone want to do that? Bragging rights for whom??  Too many people seem to forget that although the goal of the teams is to win, the purpose of high school athletics is so much more than that.  The kids are better off with opportunities for 3 teams. Central, Red River and EGF have held their own over the years and if adults don’t screw things up those teams will continue to provide a great HS hockey experience for kids, including the opportunities to play post high school for those with the ability and desire. 

7 hours ago, franchise said:

Blake, yes...but I can't wish success on Middelstadts:D

From EP, and I was only think EP cuz I coached their former head coaches daughter last year in mites. Didn't realize he left Blake this year.

sooo, pulling for EP