SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota High School hockey

tnt

Class A Championship with Hermantown and Mahtomedi is headed to OT. Hermantown has put a ton of shots on and had great chances but Mahtomedi's goalie has been outstanding all tournament. Hermantown finally broke through and tied it at 2 with 21 seconds left. Will the Hawks return to their championship status after missing last years tournament or will Mahtomedi's upset run continue and end in a championship?

1 minute ago, SiouxScore said:

Class A Championship with Hermantown and Mahtomedi is headed to OT. Hermantown has put a ton of shots on and had great chances but Mahtomedi's goalie has been outstanding all tournament. Hermantown finally broke through and tied it at 2 with 21 seconds left. Will the Hawks return to their championship status after missing last years tournament or will Mahtomedi's upset run continue and end in a championship?

Hermantown player skates into the crease on his own before the goal. It should have been disallowed. It makes no difference whether or not that player interferes with the goalie. Replay clearly shows player in the crease before goal. Johnny Pohl wants to ignore the rule because the goalie wasn’t interfered with. Mahtomedi wins in OT. I guess that’s Karma. 

Just now, iramurphy said:

Hermantown player skates into the crease on his own before the goal. It should have been disallowed. It makes no difference whether or not that player interferes with the goalie. Replay clearly shows player in the crease before goal. Johnny Pohl wants to ignore the rule because the goalie wasn’t interfered with. Mahtomedi wins in OT. I guess that’s Karma. 

There is no way you call that. Had nothing to do with the play. State would've gone absolutely crazy if they called that no goal. You sure that is the crease rule? I thought they follow the college/NHL model in Minnesota where as long as you aren't interfering with the goalie and aren't parked in there forever you are alright.

Mahtomedi's magical run ends in 3-2 OT Championship win. Their goalie is absolutely the mvp of the tournament. They're down 2-1 with about 5 minutes left in the quarters against Delano and Delano was playing good defense. Mahtomedi had a lot of shots but not great chances and really had nothing going and then boom they get 3 goals in 2:30 and add a empty netter at the end as well. Nobody really thought they had a chance against Warroad and they take advantage of every opportunity they got in that game and also Warroad's goalie having a bad game and their goalie playing outstanding again. Then today they took advantage of their opportunities and their goalie was huge. Feels weird but this is Mahtomedi's first championship after a ton of heartbreak in the semifinals.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

There is no way you call that. Had nothing to do with the play. State would've gone absolutely crazy if they called that no goal. You sure that is the crease rule? I thought they follow the college/NHL model in Minnesota where as long as you aren't interfering with the goalie and aren't parked in there forever you are alright.

I googled the rule. Clearly states can’t be in the crease. Says nothing about time in crease or goalie interference.  Can’t be in crease before the goal. He was clearly in the crease before the goal.  Hermantown May have attacked the refs but they should have made the call. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iramurphy said:

I googled the rule. Clearly states can’t be in the crease. Says nothing about time in crease or goalie interference.  Can’t be in crease before the goal. He was clearly in the crease before the goal.  Hermantown May have attacked the refs but they should have made the call. 

Hmm knew that used to be the rule but thought they changed it, having been to 6-7 different 8A games this year they sure don't call it like that. You'll see a guy with two skates right on top of the crease barely in the blue on a lot of powerplays but they only blew the whistle like twice in the games I was at this year and one the player backed into the goalie knocking him down and the other the guy slashed the goalies stick out of his hand. There would of been tons of backlash around the state and on social media if they waived the goal off, the only ones who may have supported it were probably Mahtomedi fans. Good to see everything ended up working out though with Mahtomedi winning on a nice goal and no controversy involved.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

So is Minnesota smart enough to change the rule before they really have to answer for not following their own rules?

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Blake Biondi is going to fit right in with the diving at UMD. When the biggest and strongest guy out there is flopping, it doesn't bode well for when everybody is his size and caliber.

Poor Channel 45 guys in the booth whining and crying about Hermantown and poor Biondi too.  “Killing him out there...”  Talk about hyperbole!

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

So is Minnesota smart enough to change the rule before they really have to answer for not following their own rules?

No. I’m not sure how they would have justified their call to anyone but Hermantown had Hermantown won. Officials don’t have the discretion to change rules based on how they think the rule should be. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. 

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Poor Channel 45 guys in the booth whining and crying about Hermantown and poor Biondi too.  “Killing him out there...”  Talk about hyperbole!

They roughed him up a bit (especially near the end of regulation) but he's literally a man among boys in HS hockey, he should be able to handle it. For his sake, hopefully he's smarter than Donovan and spends a year in juniors before college.

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

They roughed him up a bit (especially near the end of regulation) but he's literally a man among boys in HS hockey, he should be able to handle it. For his sake, hopefully he's smarter than Donovan and spends a year in juniors before college.

Today was nothing compared to what Cathedral did to him yesterday. He got crosschecked and slashed pretty much non-stop.

I don't know what his plan is but he doesn't need a whole year of juniors next year. If I'm Duluth I'm bringing him in next season and he will contribute.

20 minutes ago, tnt said:

From what I found reading the rule online it reads like the play was legal to me. Looks like it was changed in 2011 https://legacy.mshsl.org/mshsl/publications/code/athletic/Hockey.htm

Minnesota Goal Crease Rule: The NFHS Ice Hockey Rules Committee has approved for use in all games played in Minnesota an experimental rule relating to goals scored when a player is illegally in the goal crease.  This rule will count those goals which are scored when an offensive player or player's stick is illegally in the goal crease but, in the opinion of the referee, the player or stick illegally in the goal crease had no impact on the goalkeeper's ability to defend the goal when the puck entered the goal. 

A player illegally in the goal crease impacts the goalkeeper's ability to defend the goal when:

1.  The player makes physical contact with the goalkeeper; or

2.  The player prevents the goalkeeper from moving freely in the goal crease; or

3.  The player screens the goalkeeper or otherwise interferes with the goalkeeper's ability to defend the goal, even though no physical contact is made with the goalkeeper. 

On 3/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, MafiaMan said:

I think if you're going to load up on AA opponents during the regular season, you shouldn't be allowed to slum it back to A come tournament time.  I'm talking to you, Mahtomedi.  Suburban school, 92% white, almost $100K median household income. 

"But we're a small school..."

The St Thomas Academy plan. 

On 3/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, MafiaMan said:

I think if you're going to load up on AA opponents during the regular season, you shouldn't be allowed to slum it back to A come tournament time.  I'm talking to you, Mahtomedi.  Suburban school, 92% white, almost $100K median household income. 

"But we're a small school..."

Isn’t Hermantown a suburb of Duluth?  They played 2A teams throughout the season...not sure of income but cost of living may be a little cheaper up north compared to Metro area.  So I don’t feel too bad for ‘little’ Hermantown.

28 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Isn’t Hermantown a suburb of Duluth?  They played 2A teams throughout the season...not sure of income but cost of living may be a little cheaper up north compared to Metro area.  So I don’t feel too bad for ‘little’ Hermantown.

It’s well past time for them to move up too.

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Today was nothing compared to what Cathedral did to him yesterday. He got crosschecked and slashed pretty much non-stop.

I don't know what his plan is but he doesn't need a whole year of juniors next year. If I'm Duluth I'm bringing him in next season and he will contribute.

Not that it's the best measure, but his junior stats aren't very good. we'll see how he does in juniors for the rest of the season I suppose. 

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

From what I found reading the rule online it reads like the play was legal to me. Looks like it was changed in 2011 https://legacy.mshsl.org/mshsl/publications/code/athletic/Hockey.htm

Minnesota Goal Crease Rule: The NFHS Ice Hockey Rules Committee has approved for use in all games played in Minnesota an experimental rule relating to goals scored when a player is illegally in the goal crease.  This rule will count those goals which are scored when an offensive player or player's stick is illegally in the goal crease but, in the opinion of the referee, the player or stick illegally in the goal crease had no impact on the goalkeeper's ability to defend the goal when the puck entered the goal. 

A player illegally in the goal crease impacts the goalkeeper's ability to defend the goal when:

1.  The player makes physical contact with the goalkeeper; or

2.  The player prevents the goalkeeper from moving freely in the goal crease; or

3.  The player screens the goalkeeper or otherwise interferes with the goalkeeper's ability to defend the goal, even though no physical contact is made with the goalkeeper. 

Well, there you go.  Sounds like they made the correct decision based on that.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

It’s well past time for them to move up too.

Hermantown has both bantam and peewee AA & A teams and their bantam AA team is in the state tournament. If you are gonna do that at the youth level then step up at the high school level. Mahtomedi has been to state a ton but this is their first championship so I guess I can see why they are still in A although their bantams also play at the AA level.