SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance at the Ralph

Siouxperfan7

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

reason?  if that game is canisius you get 7, 8, or 9K...Notre Dame you get 12K.

You have no proof of this. None. Notre Dame is not our rival. Notre Dame is not a marquee college hockey team. I don't understand the infatuation. It baffles me that you think Notre Dame would drive an additional 3,000-5,000 people to a game. Especially on deer opener weekend. Also, when is the last time we had 7,000 at a game at the new REA? I'll be waiting for the answer.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You have no proof of this. None. Notre Dame is not our rival. Notre Dame is not a marquee college hockey team. I don't understand the infatuation. It baffles me that you think Notre Dame would drive an additional 3,000-5,000 people to a game. Especially on deer opener weekend. Also, when is the last time we had 7,000 at a game at the new REA? I'll be waiting for the answer.

you have no proof that students stayed in Grand Forks with their parents of all people just togo to the game because "they we a dominant team"...and yes 75 inch tv's were around 9 years ago. your the one making stuff up.  pretty sure there might have been 7k at some games last year...announced fans v actual butts in seats...couple games last year the whole upper deck opposite the press box we pretty....sparse?

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

you have no proof that students stayed in Grand Forks with their parents of all people just togo to the game because "they we a dominant team"...and yes 75 inch tv's were around 9 years ago. your the one making stuff up.  pretty sure there might have been 7k at some games last year...announced fans v actual butts in seats...couple games last year the whole upper deck opposite the press box we pretty....sparse?

UND didn't have "attendance problems" at that point in their history, correct? So, sure, not proof, but since we sold out games nearly every season during that run, it seems like a pretty solid assumption. 75" TVs (referring, in general to large TVs) are much more common now, man. The comforts of home are higher now than 10 years ago. Just another overall discussion point as to why less people come to games. However, UND fans come to see teams win games. Back in 2009, we were on an unprecedented run of success. People came to watch them. I don't know how much more I can say about that. We sold out the barn to watch Michigan Tech back when they were garbage year in and year out. 

I don't recall seeing a game with over 4,000 empty seats for a UND hockey game ever, including last year. That is over 25% of the arena. 

*sigh* alright, man. This is just gonna keep going in circles. I'll continue to wholly disagree that Notre Dame would have filled that arena last night. And, even if they would have, that's still not an indication that we should leave the NCHC. 

Overall... win more games and the fans will stay, in general. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, WiSioux said:

If you're complaining about food prices, eat before you you come to the rink.

If you're complaining about parking prices, zip your coat put on a hat and get some exercise. I have literally never paid to park for a hockey game at the Ralph. There are PLENTY of side streets if you're willing to walk.

Smoking inside is never gonna happen. Lower food/drink/parking prices is never gonna happen. And the NCHC is a far superior league as long as you don't base it on name recognition and actually consider talent/skill/national championships.

Not to mention free (some charge, but give perks to do so) shuttles all over the city.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

point 1 join big10=increased attendance = more money

point 2 get rid of no fun police=more students being allowed to be students and have fun=more attendance and with less food costs maybe they actually buy a hot dog or two=more money

point 3 allow smoking=i think some people that leave early are smokers that need their fix in a bad way

point 4 lower ticket prices=worked for food in atlanta why not try it....10 per seat is better than 2000 empty seats getting u zero

point 5 lower food prices=seems to working well for atlanta

point 6 no parking fees=didn't hae em in the past so why start now

point 7 bring back beer gma=beer on the big screen means more people wanting a beer=more money

Point 3 - Would cost people more money as this is against state law.

From the North Dakota Century Code-

23-12-10. Smoking restrictions - Exceptions - Retaliation - Application.
1. In order to protect the public health and welfare and to recognize the need for
individuals to breathe smoke-free air, smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas of:
a. Public places; and
b. Places of employment.
2. Smoking is prohibited within twenty feet [6.10 meters] of entrances, exits, operable
windows, air intakes, and ventilation systems of enclosed areas in which smoking is
prohibited. Owners, operators, managers, employers, or other persons who own or
control a public place or place of employment may seek to rebut the presumption that
twenty feet [6.10 meters] is a reasonable minimum distance by making application to
the director of the local health department or district in which the public place or place
of employment is located. The presumption will be rebutted if the applicant can show
by clear and convincing evidence that, given the unique circumstances presented by
the location of entrances, exits, windows that open, ventilation intakes, or other
factors, smoke will not infiltrate or reach the entrances, exits, open windows, or
ventilation intakes or enter into such public place or place of employment and,
therefore, the public health and safety will be adequately protected by a lesser
distance.
3. The following areas are exempt from subsections 1 and 2:
a. Private residences, except those residences used as a child care, adult day care,
or health care facility subject to licensure by the department of human services.
b. Outdoor areas of places of employment, except those listed in subsection 2.
c. Any area that is not commonly accessible to the public and which is part of an
owner-operated business having no employee other than the owner-operator.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

they were free......

"hey wants some free tickets to the game to the conference opener"

"who we play"

'miami"

"hurricanes?"

"no the team from oxford, ohio"

"no thanks"

or

"hey wants some free tickets to the game to the conference opener"

"who we play"

'notre dame"

"fighting irish"

"yes!!!!"

"i'll take em all and if hot dog prices were lower i would probably buy 10 of them!!!!!!!"

Was there a promotion for this game?  Student hockey tickets are $13

Since this is attendance... slightly different but feel free to ponder if the Ralph would be a good spot for this idea of mine on weekends they dont have events booked. https://seamoresports.com/2019/11/09/an-idea-for-und-athletics-road-trips-to-bring-the-community-together/ .. i know the Champions Club does parties for away games.. but I do not see an official "watch party sponsor" for UND Athletics, that needs to hopefully change. Just for reference, Lake Superior State works with a local B-Dubs to broadcast for free ALL WCHA road games and other ones as well! Imagine how packed that place or the ralph for away games could be. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

didn't know she was dead....but...find the oldest person in the arena with a beer and make sure the second that beer is going down she's on the big screen.....beer gma 2.0 or grandpa....

I'm old enough to remember when the President of UND told the Ralph to not show an old lady drinking beer because he didn't like what it stood for.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Langster019 said:

If there's still a wait list, that's fantastic. If that goes away, the issue isn't the price, it's the product.

I don't think there is a wait list for season tickets anymore.

Probably quite the opposite as the REA has had to come with "creative ideas" to sell season tickets by taking out ads about how you can buy just Saturday or Friday "season tickets" for a discounted price.

8 hours ago, southpaw said:

Certainly looks like NDSU needs to join the B10 in football because they have empty seats for the game today. 

So winning doesn't equal sellouts now?

Lot too long ago crappy former FCS team App State, just beat a SEC team today.

NDSU would easily dominate half the Big Ten teams and sell over 30,000 tickets for those games if their stadium was big enough.

NDSU football is getting to where UND hockey is at attendance wise.  You never used to find an empty seat at the Ralph.  Now hundreds, if not thousands.  The novelty has worn off.  

Does it really make sense to watch NDSU beat Illinois directional school number????  They aren't going to lose.....period.  So why go watch NDSU win by 40?  There are 4 teams period who could win the national championship in the FCS.  

First time at the Ralph in years this weekend.  Parking expensive, food and beer expensive, watched like five people on their phones nearly get hit by pucks out of play.  And the rap music during stoppages sucked.

Deer opener, I understand, but there never used to be a half full upper bowl. 

• Upvote 1