SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance at the Ralph

Siouxperfan7

15 hours ago, Cratter said:

Developing a conference rivalry with Notre Dame will obviously draw more than Miami of Ohio.

Is that really a question.

Isn't that like saying Western Michigan would draw the same as Michigan.

amazing that some people don't see the difference between Big 10 schools and MAC schools....

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

amazing that some people don't see the difference between Big 10 schools and MAC schools....

Amazing that some people still think the Big Ten carries the same weight in College Hockeybad it does elsewhere. It lacks the power and tradition. Maybe someday it will those but for now it falls short. We have more history and rivalry against the WCHA, and some Hockey East teams than the Big Ten, excluding former WCHA members.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Amazing that some people still think the Big Ten carries the same weight in College Hockeybad it does elsewhere. It lacks the power and tradition. Maybe someday it will those but for now it falls short. We have more history and rivalry against the WCHA, and some Hockey East teams than the Big Ten, excluding former WCHA members.

so we have more of a history with western michigan, nebraska-omaha, and miami of ohio than we do with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

To be fair, 5 of the 7 B!G teams were once in the WCHA, weren't they?

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:48 AM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

If this game was against Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, or Notre Dame the place would've been packed the rafters....just saying...

think ralph would be happy that the sioux are in the nchc instead of the big10?

I want nothing to do with the Sid Hartman Hockey Conference (he's the one who agitated for it for years before it happened). Maybe you are okay with having Tuesday night games on the Almighty BTN, but I am not. The NCHC is the SEC of college hockey. The Little 7 is not even close.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, burd said:

To be fair, 5 of the 7 B!G teams were once in the WCHA, weren't they?

Technically yes but when they haven’t seen (ND, Michigan, MSU) in conference since 1981, that argument isn’t very relevant to today’s attendance “problem”. I don’t see a “rivalry renewed” situation. MN would be the only one that would garner that tag in my opinion. 

22 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so we have more of a history with western michigan, nebraska-omaha, and miami of ohio than we do with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame?

I suppose I could have worded that better. But recently yes. Especially if you exclude Wisconsin and Minnesota. I don't think we should leave the NCHC and forgo the majority of our rivals just so we can play those 2 teams more often. A Big Ten offer would have to extend beyond just hockey for me to be interested.

The Big 10 is s*** when it comes to hockey (and football) however I believe theat having the Gophers on the schedule every year would help season ticket sales so people are guaranteed tickets to both games. The season ticket wait list, which I was on for four years, is gone after 18 years of the Ralph opening. With that being said, I would rather be in the best league (NCHC) and not sellout every game than be in that rubbish league. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I suppose I could have worded that better. But recently yes. Especially if you exclude Wisconsin and Minnesota. I don't think we should leave the NCHC and forgo the majority of our rivals just so we can play those 2 teams more often. A Big Ten offer would have to extend beyond just hockey for me to be interested.

i'll trade our new "rivals" of omaha, miami, and western for our old "rivals" of michigan, msu, and notre dame any day.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Langster019 said:

Technically yes but when they haven’t seen (ND, Michigan, MSU) in conference since 1981, that argument isn’t very relevant to today’s attendance “problem”. I don’t see a “rivalry renewed” situation. MN would be the only one that would garner that tag in my opinion. 

The Wisco games were bloodier. Big physical rivalry. More badger fans show up in GF than any team's fans today.
Michigan still won't play us today for how bad they hated us.
Nt Dam always drew in GF. Clean rivalry if there could be such a thing.
The Spartans would continually complain about our Canadian studs, not fair to go up N and get them, soon Mich joined in.
The Goofs (location location location), #1 Rival, brought fans. Large ND alumni contingency in TC.

I've posted this in years past. I would take all 7 of B1G hockey teams in a conference over the 7 we have now.
NORTH DAKOTA with:
Mn              over          Duluth
Wis             over          Denver
Mich          over           St. Cloud                  
Mich St     over           W. Mich            
Nt Dam     over          Omaha        
Penn St     over          CC
Ohio St      over          Miami, Oh

Lots of hardware in top 4 teams to left plus NDak.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The Wisco games were bloodier. Big physical rivalry. More badger fans show up in GF than any team's fans today.
The Spartans would continually complain about our Canadian studs, not fair to go up N and get them, soon Mich joined in.
The Goofs (location location location), #1 Rival, brought fans. Large ND alumni contingency in TC.

I've posted this in years past. I would take all 7 of B1G hockey teams in a conference over the 7 we have now.
NORTH DAKOTA with:

Michigan, Michigan St, Notre Dame, Penn State, and Ohio State over Denver? :lol:

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

NORTH DAKOTA with:

11 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

No, I chose Wisconsin over Denver

I chose 1 team from B1G for 1 NCHC team to challenge as a better rival for us.

I read that as all BIG teams over all NCHC teams.

8 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I read that as all BIG teams over all NCHC teams.

Yes I'll take all the B1G teams over all the NCHC teams.

Minnesota be better than Duluth, and
Wisco be better than Denver, and
Mich be better than Clowns, and
Mich St. be better than W. Mich
and so on.

There is at least one team in the B1G for every one NCHC team that would make a better rival for us.

12 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Yes I'll take all the B1G teams over all the NCHC teams.

Minnesota be better than Duluth, and
Wisco be better than Denver, and
Mich be better than Clowns, and
Mich St. be better than W. Mich
and so on.

There is at least one team in the B1G for every one NCHC team that would make a better rival for us.

Even in this hypothetical scenario I wouldn't want to lose Duluth and Denver. After Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan, nobody else in the BIG means anything to me.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Wisconsin, Minnesota and maybe Michigan would bring more ticket demand.

Anyone who thinks Penn state ohio Michstate or Notre brings more is delusional.

For God's sake the B1Gs own attendence issues prove this point emphatically.

The B1G led attendance over any conference. Their rinks are large.
UND led attendance over any team.

47 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

NORTH DAKOTA with:
Mn              over          Duluth YES but they wouldn't make us better like UMD does
Wis             over          Denver Hell no, you watched Wisconsin hockey the last 5 years? Underachieving University
Mich          over           St. Cloud  Probably just so I could go to Yost, SCSU has been more consistently good though             
Mich St     over           W. Mich   Hell no
Nt Dam     over          Omaha  Tie      
Penn St     over          CC  Probably
Ohio St      over          Miami, Oh Slight edge to OSU

No recent hardware though, that's what I'm concerned about. Who will bring out the best in our team come tourney time? We'd make more tournaments with the schedule on the left over the past 3 years but we'd also get subsequently bounced by the teams on the right because we've been playing in an inferior league.

• Upvote 2