SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance at the Ralph

Siouxperfan7

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The B1G led attendance over any conference. Their rinks are large.
UND led attendance over any team.

I believe what i poorly referenced was the sparse buts in seats results that everybody can see in MN and Wisco when B1G teams are playing there, any teams actually. Honestly havent looked much into some of the others.

Mich and Penn seem to have some attendence, Ohio and Mich state id want to research a bit.

But i dont care to travel to or attend at REA games vs thise any more or really less than the NCHC teams.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

That being said, if UND was in the Big, many of us would be justifying the supperior position using exactly these mentioned comparisons.

Love what the NCHC has become, but aside from Denver and Duluth, its tough to not agree with the argument....

Gotta include Jan Brady State on what they have done the past few years...

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I've posted this in years past. I would take all 7 of B1G hockey teams in a conference over the 7 we have now.
NORTH DAKOTA with:
Mn              over          Duluth
Wis             over          Denver
Mich          over           St. Cloud                  
Mich St     over           W. Mich            
Nt Dam     over          Omaha        
Penn St     over          CC
Ohio St      over          Miami, Oh

Lots of hardware in top 4 teams to left plus NDak

You can cherry pick matchups if you want but we've all been through these hypotheticals before but it still comes down to three things

1. We have good rivals in both conferences. There will never be a perfect conference thanks to the Big Ten.

2. Big Ten won't be inviting anyone until they know what Illinois is going to do. Not to mention any other actual Big schools.

3. The NCHC is the best conference in hockey hands down. No one is leaving the SEC for old rivals. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I don’t know the financial comparisons of staying in NCHC vs Big, but outside the previously mentioned benefit of playing Michigan, Mich St, Wisky, Norte Dame, and Minnesota; let’s not forget PSU just dropped 102 million of private money into an arena and are ranked top 10.

Ohio State is planning a new ice complex specifically for the team (currently arena 17,500  is shared with BB); they made the frozen 4. Both of those schools have more money than God so improving is easy. 

OSU recently made the decision to be good which means they are and will be. Wexner personally drops 225k when he wants the band to travel; the hockey coach asked for a $50,000 machine last yr and had it delivered days later. Players want to go there. Their attendance is now over 6,400 and growing. The point is the conference may have a lot more future potential than NCHC.

B10 network exposure is on 300+ cable providers, hulu, sling etc and network claims “availability” in 73,000,000 homes

i used to get some UND games on cable but now it’s 2-3 Big games on the DVR every weekend. 

Despite the success of other NCHC teams, we are the crown jewel of the conference. We would be a short distance for Canadian players to get continent wide exposure. 

Our house would be packed, theirs would be full, we would get national TV time, and recruiting would be much easier.  

• Upvote 2

Any talk of joining the B1G is a bunch of hooey.  The nearest school to us as an academic and athletic reasonable comparison is Nebraska, and they only got in because of their fervent fan base and history (they were dropped from AAU the same year).  Get someone to contribute billions for medical and other science research to UND, then get make AAU status in fifty years, get football to win and create a 40,000 seat stadium like NWestern, add a lest@ million people to ND, and in fifty years we are talking.  Hockey is a niche sport in the B1G, but not in the NCHC or HE.

When the gopher rumor was that ND was to be added, it was Notre Dame, not UND.

A piece of PAC12 hockey is a whole bunch more reasonable, like Arizona State.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

You can cherry pick matchups if you want but we've all been through these hypotheticals before but it still comes down to three things

1. We have good rivals in both conferences. There will never be a perfect conference thanks to the Big Ten.

2. Big Ten won't be inviting anyone until they know what Illinois is going to do. Not to mention any other actual Big schools.

3. The NCHC is the best conference in hockey hands down. No one is leaving the SEC for old rivals. 

The SEC puts more asses in seats in one Saturday than the NCHC does in an entire season, so let’s leave them out of it.  

There are many reasons not to join the B1G, but one of the biggest is they don't have one site conference tournament over one weekend.  They spread it out over 3 weekends.  Conference tournaments have been a  tradition for many UND fans over the years.  Giving that up would definitely be a change that I think most people may not like.

12 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I believe what i poorly referenced was the sparse buts in seats results that everybody can see in MN and Wisco when B1G teams are playing there, any teams actually. Honestly havent looked much into some of the others.

Mich and Penn seem to have some attendence, Ohio and Mich state id want to research a bit.

But i dont care to travel to or attend at REA games vs thise any more or really less than the NCHC teams.

Went to a MN v Notre Dame when they were #1 in the country just be we were in town and I could’ve sat wherever I wanted. Was mind blowing. Lack of beer sales was a buzzkill too. Literally.  

16 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

There are many reasons not to join the B1G, but one of the biggest is they don't have one site conference tournament over one weekend.  They spread it out over 3 weekends.  Conference tournaments have been a  tradition for many UND fans over the years.  Giving that up would definitely be a change that I think most people may not like.

I'd be willing to bet it would change if the B1G brought UND in. They know how we travel.

10 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

I don’t know the financial comparisons of staying in NCHC vs Big, but outside the previously mentioned benefit of playing Michigan, Mich St, Wisky, Norte Dame, and Minnesota; let’s not forget PSU just dropped 102 million of private money into an arena and are ranked top 10.

Ohio State is planning a new ice complex specifically for the team (currently arena 17,500  is shared with BB); they made the frozen 4. Both of those schools have more money than God so improving is easy. 

OSU recently made the decision to be good which means they are and will be. Wexner personally drops 225k when he wants the band to travel; the hockey coach asked for a $50,000 machine last yr and had it delivered days later. Players want to go there. Their attendance is now over 6,400 and growing. The point is the conference may have a lot more future potential than NCHC.

B10 network exposure is on 300+ cable providers, hulu, sling etc and network claims “availability” in 73,000,000 homes

i used to get some UND games on cable but now it’s 2-3 Big games on the DVR every weekend. 

Despite the success of other NCHC teams, we are the crown jewel of the conference. We would be a short distance for Canadian players to get continent wide exposure. 

Our house would be packed, theirs would be full, we would get national TV time, and recruiting would be much easier.  

nice write up!!!! send it to chaves