SiouxSports.com Forum

Canisius @ UND Saturday Game Thread

sioux rube

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I highly doubt Goon gets compensated for the work he does and I find his articles informative and appreciate the time and effort he puts into them. Thanks Goon for your articles. 

...and with the paywall it doesn’t hurt to have more avenues of access to keep up fan interest.  Maybe they work for the Herald and want a monopoly on UND hockey.

• Upvote 1

Recapping the weekend in UND Sports:

-The football team sucks.

-Bubba sucks.  

-It snowed a lot.

-Canisius is terrible.  

-Karl still looks like he's 12.

-I'm at a loss with Katy Hale's wardrobe. 

-We as a fanbase are on edge because of the mediocrity (especially me).  

Member Tampa?  :blush:

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, AJS said:

UND has played their fair share of terrible teams over the past couple years and never have been able to put together two games where they thumped an opponent like that back to back. This is a very good sign. 

Indeed. Did exactly what they needed and played fast and smart. Some of Berry’s pre-season comments about playing strong between the dots and in front of the net showed he really does know why our gazzilian easy saves didn’t go in last yr. 

All positives 

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

-Bubba sucks.  

-It snowed a lot.

-Canisius is terrible.  

Not seeing pucks well this year in beer league, Wilbur?

Aren't you too old to be bending over looking for incoming slappers? 

Or have you just taken too many on the forehead?

• Upvote 1

Blind resume time. Which start to the season would make you the most comfortable?

1) 5-3 L vs Alberta, 3-2 L and 2-1 W vs UMass-Lowell

2) 4-3 W vs Alaska, 3-1 W and 4-3  W vs Lake Superior State

3) 4-2 W vs Alberta, 4-4 T and 2-2 T vs Bemidji

4) 5-1 W vs Manitoba, 5-0 W and 8-1 W vs Canisius

5) 4-1 W vs Trinity Western, 3-2 W and 4-3 L vs Minnesota 

—————-

#4 looks pretty good to me. #2 hasn’t lost but close games with Lake Superior isn’t ideal  

KEY: #1 UMD (previously ranked #1) #2 Denver  (currently ranked #1) #3 St.Cloud #4 UND #5 CC

It is early but three convincing wins is refreshing to me. There will always be things to work on early in the year and there will be many bumps in the road to come. But to be anything but happy after the first three games is a bit nearsighted in my opinion. 

25 minutes ago, TNF said:

Blind resume time. Which start to the season would make you the most comfortable?

1) 5-3 L vs Alberta, 3-2 L and 2-1 W vs UMass-Lowell

2) 4-3 L vs Alaska, 3-1 W and 4-3  W vs Lake Superior State

3) 4-2 W vs Alberta, 4-4 T and 2-2 vs Bemidji

4) 5-1 W vs Manitoba, 5-0 W and 8-1 W vs Canisius

5) 4-1 W vs Trinity Western, 3-2 W and 4-3 L vs Minnesota 

—————-

#4 looks pretty good to me. #2 hasn’t lost but close games with Lake Superior isn’t ideal  

KEY: #1 UMD (previously ranked #1) #2 Denver  (currently ranked #1) #3 St.Cloud #4 UND #5 CC

It is early but three convincing wins is refreshing to me. There will always be things to work on early in the year and there will be many bumps in the road to come. But to be anything but happy after the first three games is a bit nearsighted in my opinion. 

Having covered LSSU's goalie Mitens since 2016 and following LSSU close a bit, that result could be indicative of an improved LSSU team, if you have a second look at some of the games Mitens has won or nearly won for Latvia in 2016 at the U18s against teams full of guys now playing in the NHL. LSSU's biggest question is replacing scoring that left imo. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Wilbur said:

-Bubba sucks.  

-It snowed a lot.

-Canisius is terrible.  

Soccer won two crucial road matches and is 3-1 in the Summit League and 1 win away from their best d1 season, also second in the summit league. Come out Thursday and watch! It should be a great game at 3 pm. Also volleyball played tough defense against SDSU before losing in 4 sets after the DU game was postponed. I will be covering as much as I can for Seamore Sports. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Gene4Hawks said:

Hey guys I'm new here. Don't you think its crazy that we our only ranked 16 after two dominating victories like that? I mean St. Cloud doesn't have a win and they are ranked higher then us.

The crazy part is Penn State getting a 1st place vote despite narrowly beating Sacred Heart Friday night. I guess Buccigross got a vote this year. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Gene4Hawks said:

Hey guys I'm new here. Don't you think its crazy that we our only ranked 16 after two dominating victories like that? I mean St. Cloud doesn't have a win and they are ranked higher then us.

Cloud is only ranked high because of last year’s results. They started out high at like #6 and will continue dropping like flies if they don’t get it together. 

While we did beat up on a mediocre to bad Canisius team this weekend (as a good team should) , I do think this team is better than people think. Just gotta keep racking up the wins. 

• Upvote 1

I really don’t mind needing to work our way up the rankings. How many times in the past few years did we start out high and only fell in the rankings. Now, hopefully our progression in play keeps us looking up to a new level in the polls, but ultimately the only thing I care about is the pairwise, and that won’t really matter until after Christmas.  They just need to put themselves in good position the first half, much like they did last year, then carry it over into the New Year.

3 hours ago, Gene4Hawks said:

Media polls don't matter anyway...the only thing that matters is Pairwise and you don't really look at that much until January.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Gene4Hawks said:

Who cares about polls in October? For that matter, who cares about polls at anytime during the season?

14 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The crazy part is Penn State getting a 1st place vote despite narrowly beating Sacred Heart Friday night. I guess Buccigross got a vote this year. 

Meanwhile BC jumped up 4 spots after beating Wisconsin and some toothpaste school. That's classic eastern bias I think