SiouxSports.com Forum

Canisius College @ UND -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

Despite not scoring the powerplay showed some good things. Thought they overpassed quite a bit and the spacing was just a little off a few times and those are things that should improve as guys get more used to each other.
I would've liked to see a time of possession stat tonight. Felt like UND had the puck 90% of the game.
Was impressed with Peski tonight. Coming into the year I kinda wondered if Frisch might take some playing time from him but his skating looks much improved and he looked good tonight.
The Mismash-Michaud-Hain line created a ton tonight and really look like they work well together.

• Upvote 1

Overall good effort and we scored more than two goals. PP still having issues but I hope that will fix itself in time. Kawaguchi picking up from the beginning of last year and still having problems hitting the net. Once he gets dialed in he starts to score but it takes him a while. 

I would give them a B - for tonight’s game. 

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Thoughts:

-Scheel quietly pretty good.  Composed throughout on limited chances.

-Hain and Michaud are meant to play together.  Not sure if Mismash is the guy that is meant for them, but they brought a ton of energy.

-Coaches have to let Mismash know that he can't force looks on the power play.  Don't be the guy that ends each possession with a shot or cross ice feed through traffic.

-Nice not to see #22 take a bad penalty.  Looks like he slimmed down and is a different player this year.  Tied his goal output from last year too.

-Traditional circle of sticks tomorrow. 

Guess I should get on the Keto too

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

.Coaches have to let Mismash know that he can't force looks on the power play.  Don't be the guy that ends each possession with a shot or cross ice feed through traffic.

A little concerning. Different players but had a last year look to the PP. Coaching? 

56 minutes ago, shep said:

Were you around when you had to wait outside for the old Ralph to open and you could drink a couple bottles of schnapps?

I remember waiting outside for hours at the current Ralph before a Gopher game when we kept our beers inside our coats so they wouldn’t freeze solid before we drank them. Good times!

• Upvote 2

Only 1 game, but score aside and win aside ... that was much more entertaining hockey than we saw most of last season.

the shots were not just high, but they were much more high percentage than last year. Puck movement way much more fluid.

altogether impressive performance in a game that they should have won, and they won it in the decisive fashion that was expected.

duplicate that last night, but tychonic’s words beteen periods spoke volumes about the mentality of this team. I hope it lasts!

first game definitely passed the eye test!

• Upvote 4

Other than a shaky power play, that was pretty good. Can't complain too much when you score five and get a shutout. Good to see Pinto get his first, and Scheel looked good when he needed to. I was a little worried when we had one goal on twenty-three shots and went scoreless on a 5 minute power play, but UND really dominated. Had the time of possession and shots like last year, but this time with some goals to back it up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dden3 said:

Sorry I don’t see the difference. Out skate and outshoot the other team but PP bad and nobody puts it in the net. 

Very clear difference in our entry. We got to our set up SOOO much better tonight than at any point of last season. Got too fine and handled the puck too much. Snap it around and fire. It'll come.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

A little concerning. Different players but had a last year look to the PP. Coaching? 

Again I don’t know hockey but it looked to me that we handled the puck much better and were closer to the goal than last year. It reminded me of how the nhl looks. We have multiple times where we had the puck within fifteen feet and had shots. We kept the puck in the zone

idk but it looked much better to me

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Other than missing nets, I think there was a drastic difference on the PP. We entered the zone with ease and got right to work. Much, much better. They took away Mash from the point all game and that caused us a little fluster. Need to adjust and snap the puck around a bit more, but I loved the entry. 

• Upvote 2

Has anyone else noticed that the new NCHC.tv is like... Really bad. App doesn't have a casting option, doesn't rotate to horizontal. I streamed from the website and the feed would cut out every few minutes and I'd have to drag the slider from the beginning of the broadcast to where I left off.

Edit: The one good thing I noticed was that you can start the game from the beginning while it's in progress.

My takes...

- Pinto = stud. I'll call it and say he's the NCHC ROY. Kid is great in all zones.

- Michaud is Rocco with a bit less skill. Crazy quick and battles so hard every shift. Gonna be key for us this year.

- Dominant D. Allowing just 14 shot attempts is impressive. Scheel looked calm, too. Incredibly confident.

- Tychonick looked so dynamic. Had a little shoulder fake that got to nice chance in the second. He's taken a step.

- PP entry was perfect. Great change. Need to snap the puck a bit more and hit the damn net.

- Great to see Mash rip one. Sorely missed a pure snipe last year. Need guys who can flat out beat a goalie with a shot. Mash has that skill. Need it consistently.

Great start. Go get the win tomorrow.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

Has anyone else noticed that the new NCHC.tv is like... Really bad. App doesn't have a casting option, doesn't rotate to horizontal. I streamed from the website and the feed would cut out every few minutes and I'd have to drag the slider from the beginning of the broadcast to where I left off.

Edit: The one good thing I noticed was that you can start the game from the beginning while it's in progress.

Mine was good on my Roku TV. No problems with the stream at all.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

My takes...

- Pinto = stud. I'll call it and say he's the NCHC ROY. Kid is great in all zones.

- Michaud is Rocco with a bit less skill. Crazy quick and battles so hard every shift. Gonna be key for us this year.

- Dominant D. Allowing just 14 shot attempts is impressive. Scheel looked calm, too. Incredibly confident.

- Tychonick looked so dynamic. Had a little shoulder fake that got to nice chance in the second. He's taken a step.

- PP entry was perfect. Great change. Need to snap the puck a bit more and hit the damn net.

- Great to see Mash rip one. Sorely missed a pure snipe last year. Need guys who can flat out beat a goalie with a shot. Mash has that skill. Need it consistently.

Back to back nice showings for Pinto.  Doesn't look like a freshman.  Also impressed with Tychonick tonight.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

My takes...

I was trying to think of what Sioux player Michaud reminded me of all summer and All I came up with was If Troy Stecher was a forward. :lol:

Also, it seems like half of the team seems faster than last year. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Other than missing nets, I think there was a drastic difference on the PP. We entered the zone with ease and got right to work. Much, much better. They took away Mash from the point all game and that caused us a little fluster. Need to adjust and snap the puck around a bit more, but I loved the entry. 

Agreed.  The PP entry and control was very good.  We didn't score on the major but kept the puck in the zone the entire time, with some very good looks.   They just couldn't snipe. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

I cast it from my laptop and didn't have problems.  I do miss the option to cast from the app on my phone.