SiouxSports.com Forum

Denver "Pioneers" Nickname Now Targeted

Hayduke

Here we go again.  Boone, the mascot is gone, but the Pioneers nickname appears to be a target. 

As much as I want UND to pound the Pioneers, I will never forget Gwozdecky and his refusal to call UND anything but the Fighting Sioux.  

I hope they end this madness.  Even as a Sioux fan, I could at least see that there was a weak, IMHO, argument to change our nickname.  But, Pioneers??  Come on already.  Keep the Pioneers!

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/360/du-pioneers-now-at-the-center-of-debate-about-mascots-and-offensive-nicknames

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Why?

Why to what? Being against dropping the Pioneer name? If it is about the other thing, you know this isn't the place to talk about it.

Getting rid of Denver's name is a big, fat waste of time and resources and will not solve a single problem or help anybody with anything.

21 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Also, I see nothing offensive about the word Pioneers.  It only means being the first to do something.  WTH is wrong with that?  

My great grandfather and great grandmother homesteaded ten miles south of the Canadian border.  They was a bad asses imho.  They made it, raised 5 kids and moved from a sod house to a beautiful two story home that exists today.  They were tough and somebody to be admired. They were pioneers.  They also would give the shirt off their backs to help others, including Native Americans that needed help. 

Our family is very proud of that pioneer tradition. 

Great post. The idea that your great-grandparents had any connection to the massacre of people is beyond stupid and does not deserve the time of day.

6 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Also, I see nothing offensive about the word Pioneers.  It only means being the first to do something.  WTH is wrong with that?  

My great grandfather homesteaded ten miles south of the Canadian border.  He was a badass imho.  He made it, raised 5 kids and moved from a sod house to a beautiful two story home that exists today.  The dude was tough and somebody to be admired. He was a pioneer.  He also would give the shirt off his back to help others, including Native Americans that needed help. 

Our family is very proud of that pioneer tradition. 

Sounds like a job well done. I agree with you.

Was just wondering your reasoning since you identified yourself to be on one side of a blurry spectrum  

I think the words liberal and conservative encompasses too broad a scope of ideas to be accurate indicators of a person’s belief system. 

I believe people who nit-pic mascots like Pioneer have personal issues well outside of politics. I’d hope common sense wins out over the need of the <1% who want to feel important 

• Upvote 4

You know hawks carried diseases that passed along to Native Americans... you can draw a line to connect anything to make a ridiculous argument. This is so absolutely insane to me that I have to remind myself multiple times while reading that article that it's not satire. I'd love nothing more than to sit down in front of one of these people and explain to me with a straight face how this even approaches a rational thought.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sounds like a couple prior UND admins. 

Was Sioux surreptitiously removed from things, though?  Was anything ever blamed on internal 'miscommunications'?  Were there not announced changes along the way as various things were phased out?  I thought UND was very much in the daylight about pretty much everything.  It was never a secret about the NCAA policy, the lawsuit, or even the legislative meddling.

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If Pioneers goes, what next. 

Fighting Hawks.  Because animal rights groups will claim it portrays hawks as overly and unreasonably aggressive.  

Maybe it'll all work itself out for most of our crowd here?  

Sun Dogs still has a chance!  LOL

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hayduke said:

Fighting Hawks.  Because animal rights groups will claim it portrays hawks as overly and unreasonably aggressive.  

Maybe it'll all work itself out for most of our crowd here?  

Sun Dogs still has a chance!  LOL

Sundogs have been used for native religious ceremonies.

going to be colors at this rate

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Well, I'm a liberal and am opposed to this.  

Sorry for dragging all liberals under the bus with the Crazy Far Left. I should have been more specific with my words. We can’t deny though what extreme groups are pushing this PC agenda. 

Enough with all the politics on my end, but how are we supposed to talk about this topic without bringing up politics.

• Upvote 1