SiouxSports.com Forum

Denver "Pioneers" Nickname Now Targeted

Hayduke

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, Hayduke said:

Here we go again.  Boone, the mascot is gone, but the Pioneers nickname appears to be a target. 

As much as I want UND to pound the Pioneers, I will never forget Gwozdecky and his refusal to call UND anything but the Fighting Sioux.  

I hope they end this madness.  Even as a Sioux fan, I could at least see that there was a weak, IMHO, argument to change our nickname.  But, Pioneers??  Come on already.  Keep the Pioneers!

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/360/du-pioneers-now-at-the-center-of-debate-about-mascots-and-offensive-nicknames

Wow, didn't see this one coming.

LetsGoDU managing editor Nick Tremaroli explained that “the University has already removed all western imagery” 

Really.... if the University is going to remove all western imagery, wouldn't they need to just bulldoze the whole place and go back to prairie grass?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Hell will freeze over before Wyoming ever drops the Cowboy logo. The logo is the most common image in the state and people use it EVERYWHERE!

It's on my vehicles.  Pokes!

That one will never change.  The slogan, "The World Needs More Cowboys" was used in a marketing campaign focusing on a very diverse group of students at UW.  It was a great campaign.

Those professors discovered that later and that controversy was quashed.  I have one of the small posters in my office close to my big REA picture.   

This is getting ridiculous, now Pioneers is offensive?

Somebody found and posted something on our board a while ago that some "group" was looking at the Grizzlies name as needing to be changed...I'm sure it was crackpots but are we far away from the nut bags wanting animal names disassociated with sports? 

I weep for the future of my kids dealing with this world's lunacy.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, jodcon said:

This is getting ridiculous, now Pioneers is offensive?

Somebody found and posted something on our board a while ago that some "group" was looking at the Grizzlies name as needing to be changed...I'm sure it was crackpots but are we far away from the nut bags wanting animal names disassociated with sports? 

I weep for the future of my kids dealing with this world's lunacy.

Pioneers are almost exclusively European and therefor racists, scream the professors including Denver U’s admin.

The admin already gave up the Daniel Boone type mascot for a convoluted bird, so dropping the name is the next step in progressivism.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:22 AM, siouxfaninseattle said:

Anyone that is offended by the word Pioneers is trying real hard to be offended. 

Reminds my of a quote I saw many years ago, might have even been on here during the Fighting Sioux trials...

"If you're not offended,  we'll be offended for you."

So frickin true.