SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ DU -- First Round NCHC, Game 1

stoneySIOUX

4 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

We had two early power plays tonight and didn’t do diddly poo on them. 

We can’t gain the zone. 

Every good power play I’ve seen has quick puck movement and forwards always moving around to try to find space.

We’re so predictable.

Pass, pass, point shot. 

I thought Thome played well. We did catch a break late in the second period as a defensive breakdown led to a wide open DU skater who rang one flush off the cross bar. Thome made a brilliant save off his right pillow on a wrap around attempt in the third. Can’t blame him on either of DU’s goals. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

We can’t gain the zone. 

Every good power play I’ve seen has quick puck movement and forwards always moving around to try to find space.

We’re so predictable.

Pass, pass, point shot. 

you forgot about the errant pass, settle it down, wait for goalie to square,shoot sequence.

The individual skill should really be improving, let alone the chemestry

Just now, Godsmack said:

I thought Thome played well. We did catch a break late in the second period as a defensive breakdown led to a wide open DU skater who rang one flush off the cross bar. Thome made a brilliant save off his right pillow on a wrap around attempt in the third. Can’t blame him on either of DU’s goals. 

Actually, Thome was fairly consistently a bit out of position, he definitely was drifting east west more than I think he'd like.

That "Brilliant save" looked awesome but i think was going to go cross the crease.  The Du guy didnt have the toe hold to wrap it in, if he did even a little it would have gone in, Thome was beaten badly being to far to his left.

I think he is weak glove and squares more to that side to compensate on a weakness that is known and finds himself out to far, to often.

DU wasnt good tonight, very beatable team (CC on line one, as you know).

The goals he let in, I dont "fault" him... D got lazy didnt pick up a guy in the slot, thn a tip from  blue line shot,

I bet he would say, "yeah the kid beat me on the first one, and the second although i could have positioned better, once things are allowednto deflected that much, its a crap shoot"

A D1 TOP CONFERENCE HOCKEY PLAYER ALONE UNMOLESTED IN THE SLOT SHOULD PROBABLY SCORE THAT PUCK MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.....

our guys have either been missing the net or straight logo from there. UND has to be able to score 3 goals. They score 3 GPG... 11 more wins.

Just 2 GPG 6 more wins and a few more ties. 

The 12th time this season where UND has been held to 0 or 1 goal in a game.
What a bad season of hockey. 

I guess we'll know during the exhibition game in October what to expect from next season...if they go to OT, we're in for another long year.  ;) 

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

I 'member when Hak had a team that had to play every player because of injuries and they still made the NCAA's.

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Best coaching job I've ever seen in college hockey!

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

That was team that I didn't think would have made it.

7 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

That top line with Danny Kristo, Corban Knight and Brock Nelson helped. 

That team actually played into a number 1 seed! What a coaching job. 

Yep.  And some folks here STILL complained about Hak “failing” to win a national title that season (2012).

8 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Its beyond comprehension to be this pathetic offensively.  Shaw should get fired on Monday.  Berry should be informed that he has one year to prove worthy to keep his job.

Who is in charge? Unless Berry treats his asst. coach’s like his players, well the effort is there but bad puck luck , hot goalie etc.  The power play, penalties klll etc are set by the head coach and the asst. implement them. If something’s not  working Berry needs to fix them and he has not shown that ability in the last two years to adjust anything. Chaves needs to put the fear of god in him,  you fix this or I will. I fear Berry has us on a very slippy slope and we haven’t bottomed out yet.

54 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Who is in charge? Unless Berry treats his asst. coach’s like his players, well the effort is there but bad puck luck , hot goalie etc.  The power play, penalties klll etc are set by the head coach and the asst. implement them. If something’s not  working Berry needs to fix them and he has not shown that ability in the last two years to adjust anything. Chaves needs to put the fear of god in him,  you fix this or I will. I fear Berry has us on a very slippy slope and we haven’t bottomed out yet.

I'm scared as hell to find out what the next "first" is with our program......

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Per Schloss the two goal scorers for DU last night have not scored this against any other team except UND this season. 2 goals and 1 goal on the season respectively.

Of course!  Playing UND turns 4th line scrubs into Wayne Gretzky-like scorers and 3rd string goalies into Mike Richter clones!

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Per Schloss the two goal scorers for DU last night have not scored this against any other team except UND this season. 2 goals and 1 goal on the season respectively.

I mean you're not wrong but you have to acknowledge they shut down their top scorers too. It does feel like every time a team scores a big goal on us it's that players 1st of the season/career. If it weren't so sad I'd laugh.  Defense isn't our problem though IMO 

I got the feeling last night that I've had plenty of times this season but haven't been able to articulate until now.  It feels like for UND to score 4 or 5 perfect things have to happen in succession, where as other teams it's one good bounce/pass/etc for a goal.  I imagine this is due to not having a game-breaking offensive player but it's frustrating beyond description.

10 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Actually, Thome was fairly consistently a bit out of position, he definitely was drifting east west more than I think he'd like.

That "Brilliant save" looked awesome but i think was going to go cross the crease.  The Du guy didnt have the toe hold to wrap it in, if he did even a little it would have gone in, Thome was beaten badly being to far to his left.

I think he is weak glove and squares more to that side to compensate on a weakness that is known and finds himself out to far, to often.

DU wasnt good tonight, very beatable team (CC on line one, as you know).

The goals he let in, I dont "fault" him... D got lazy didnt pick up a guy in the slot, thn a tip from  blue line shot,

I bet he would say, "yeah the kid beat me on the first one, and the second although i could have positioned better, once things are allowednto deflected that much, its a crap shoot"

A D1 TOP CONFERENCE HOCKEY PLAYER ALONE UNMOLESTED IN THE SLOT SHOULD PROBABLY SCORE THAT PUCK MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.....

our guys have either been missing the net or straight logo from there. UND has to be able to score 3 goals. They score 3 GPG... 11 more wins.

Just 2 GPG 6 more wins and a few more ties. 

I’m not going to pin this loss on Thome and if I’m reading your comments correctly, I don’t think that’s what you’re saying either. All I’m saying is, we didn’t lose last night because of Thome. 

Bottom line: we simply don’t have the snipers or finishers. We work really hard down low in the opponent’s end and rarely generate many grade A scoring chances. I think DU and other opponents this season have scouted us pretty good in that regard. Hell, UND had the puck in DU’s zone for about the entire last 3 minutes of the game, including the final 2 minutes with our goalie pulled and DU wasn’t making an effort to play aggressively in the D zone; rather, they packed their 5 guys in tight in the slot area, taking away any clear shooting lanes. They gave UND all the space they wanted on the perimeter, betting on their goalie, Larrson, that he won’t give up a leaker from a bad angle. 

47 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I’m not going to pin this loss on Thome and if I’m reading your comments correctly, I don’t think that’s what you’re saying either. All I’m saying is, we didn’t lose last night because of Thome. 

Bottom line: we simply don’t have the snipers or finishers. We work really hard down low in the opponent’s end and rarely generate many grade A scoring chances. I think DU and other opponents this season have scouted us pretty good in that regard. Hell, UND had the puck in DU’s zone for about the entire last 3 minutes of the game, including the final 2 minutes with our goalie pulled and DU wasn’t making an effort to play aggressively in the D zone; rather, they packed their 5 guys in tight in the slot area, taking away any clear shooting lanes. They gave UND all the space they wanted on the perimeter, betting on their goalie, Larrson, that he won’t give up a leaker from a bad angle. 

Nope. deffinetly not pinning the loss on him, just observations on the play. He played well enough to win a hockey game, but .....the obvious ......zero goals scored.

• Upvote 1

I hope some of the apologists for the team also understand that effort is fine and dandy, but in the real world....

Results matter.

Doesn't matter if a kid or coaches works till they drop, in the NHL AHL or as an accountant.... if there isn't production, the effort is mute.

Sorry if that offends but, it's life. I hope our program is teaching and developing that reality in the kids too, it sure seems like in the past that the was the case. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Nope. deffinetly not pinning the loss on him, just observations on the play. He played well enough to win a hockey game, but .....the obvious ......zero goals scored.

Tough man. I’ve seen UND in person now eight times on the road this season and they’re 2-5-1 (the tie with DU though felt like a loss). Not my year to see wins I guess. 

16 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Nope. definitely not pinning the loss on him, just observations on the play. He played well enough to win a hockey game, but .....the obvious ......zero goals scored.

Well, if Thome hadn’t given up any goals last night...the two teams would likely be in their 24th period of OT play right now.  :lol:

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I hope some of the apologists for the team also understand that effort is fine and dandy, but in the real world....

Results matter.

Doesn't matter if a kid or coaches works till they drop, in the NHL AHL or as an accountant.... if there isn't production, the effort is mute.

Sorry if that offends but, it's life. I hope our program is teaching and developing that reality in the kids too, it sure seems like in the past that the was the case. 

Doesn’t offend me one bit, this is a results-oriented business. I will say that the culture at UND is pretty strong having witnessed the team continue to battle and work hard even when down a couple goals late in the game. I didn’t witness this during Haviland’s first 2-3 seasons at CC. They’d fall behind a couple goals and their body language on the bench said it all, they’d pack it in. UND players last night continued to battle for each other and their coach and that was admirable.