SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ DU -- First Round NCHC, Game 1

stoneySIOUX

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I imagine this is due to not having a game-breaking offensive player but it's frustrating beyond description.

We call that talent/the blue chippah.

Many have been pointing out the lack of it all season long.

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

I’m not going to pin this loss on Thome and if I’m reading your comments correctly, I don’t think that’s what you’re saying either. All I’m saying is, we didn’t lose last night because of Thome. 

Thome certainly didn't lose the game for UND. As they scored zero goals.

But still need Thome to play better. This team isn't made to play from behind and when Thome gives up one goal on three shots in the first period.

It deflates the team (cause they know they suck at scoring).

88.2 SV% for Thome last night.

46 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Nope. deffinetly not pinning the loss on him, just observations on the play. He played well enough to win a hockey game, but .....the obvious ......zero goals scored.

I'm not putting anything on Thome either regarding the lost when you give up just 2 goals against a top 10 tam and your own team is shut-out.  However, he did give up 2 goals on I believe just 17 SOG (it wasn't like he faced even 25 - 30 SOG) so that save %, while not awful (.882) is certainly not top tier (unless we hung him out to dry on both goals?) and needs to be better.  Again though, when your team does not score a goal then it doesn't matter if you have a .950 save %.   

11 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

I'm not putting anything on Thome either regarding the lost when you give up just 2 goals against a top 10 tam and your own team is shut-out.  However, he did give up 2 goals on I believe just 17 SOG (it wasn't like he faced even 25 - 30 SOG) so that save %, while not awful (.882) is certainly not top tier (unless we hung him out to dry on both goals?) and needs to be better.  Again though, when your team does not score a goal then it doesn't matter if you have a .950 save %.   

First goal was a defensive breakdown by us, allowing the DU forward to walk in uncontested and beat Thome from inside the slot. Second goal was a tipped shot from the point through traffic that Thome probably couldn’t see. 

29 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Thome certainly didn't lose the game for UND. As they scored zero goals.

But still need Thome to play better. This team isn't made to play from behind and when Thome gives up one goal on three shots in the first period.

It deflates the team (cause they know they suck at scoring).

88.2 SV% for Thome last night.

That first goal was incredibly deflating for both the team and its fans. We out-played and out-chanced DU the entire first period and to give up that goal with a minute left in the period stung....a lot. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

First goal was a defensive breakdown by us, allowing the DU forward to walk in uncontested and beat Thome from inside the slot. Second goal was a tipped shot from the point through traffic that Thome probably couldn’t see. 

Okay, so likely not on him then.  Frustrating though is DU get 1 goal on a deflection on just 17 SOG but we have 32 SOG and can't even get 1 greasy goal thru traffic past the DU goalie.  Groundhog Day.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Doesn’t offend me one bit, this is a results-oriented business. I will say that the culture at UND is pretty strong having witnessed the team continue to battle and work hard even when down a couple goals late in the game. I didn’t witness this during Haviland’s first 2-3 seasons at CC. They’d fall behind a couple goals and their body language on the bench said it all, they’d pack it in. UND players last night continued to battle for each other and their coach and that was admirable. 

Not directed at you at all but some of the things I've seen on the book face make it seem like the team needs their own little comfy safespace... to regroup and try wealy wealy hawrd Next weekend.

Sorry but the only snowflakes in play next weekend are going to be on my driveway.... unfourtunetly.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Okay, so likely not on him then.  Frustrating though is DU get 1 goal on a deflection on just 17 SOG but we have 32 SOG and can't even get 1 greasy goal thru traffic past the DU goalie.  Groundhog Day.  

The bounces (puck luck) was not our friend last night either

30 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Not directed at you at all but some of the things I've seen on the book face make it seem like the team needs their own little comfy safespace... to regroup and try wealy wealy hawrd Next weekend.

Sorry but the only snowflakes in play next weekend are going to be on my driveway.... unfourtunetly.

image.png.ac3b2c131ac9f399712b6a0e44479b1d.png

14 hours ago, Godsmack said:

We go to the Frozen Faceoff every year and if CC and UND don’t make it, we will be finding ourselves rooting for Western Michigan. Wow. 

I did enjoy how Western played the game this yr & I have always liked their coach

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Comparing college hockey to “the real world” and being an accountant is such a stretch. Thousands and thousands of people are successful at different levels of being an accountant and they’re not all that special. I know because I have been one. Much fewer people in the world are talented enough to play d1 level hockey, at UND nonetheless. 

To suggest that because UND hockey currently isnt living up to your hopes and dreams for them this season, they may not be preparing these young men for the real world is proposterous at best. These kids have produced “results” their entire lives or they would not be in the position they are.

I feel like a few people on this site project a lot of their desires/emotions/feelings of accomplishment(or lack thereof) on this team. Then, when they don’t produce or fall short of that person’s standards it becomes personal and these people lash out as if they’ve been wronged. It’s similar to a father living vicariously through their son’s accomplishments.

This is a game and winning or losing is not a reflection of these student athletes character or your bull$%!# preparation for the real world spiel so save it. This season sucks because cheering for a successful team is more fun than an unsuccessful one but that’s all it is. So don’t make it out to be more.

Well done, sir. Well done. 

74c.gif

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Comparing college hockey to “the real world” and being an accountant is such a stretch. Thousands and thousands of people are successful at different levels of being an accountant and they’re not all that special. I know because I have been one. Much fewer people in the world are talented enough to play d1 level hockey, at UND nonetheless. 

To suggest that because UND hockey currently isnt living up to your hopes and dreams for them this season, they may not be preparing these young men for the real world is proposterous at best. These kids have produced “results” their entire lives or they would not be in the position they are.

I feel like a few people on this site project a lot of their desires/emotions/feelings of accomplishment(or lack thereof) on this team. Then, when they don’t produce or fall short of that person’s standards it becomes personal and these people lash out as if they’ve been wronged. It’s similar to a father living vicariously through their son’s accomplishments.

This is a game and winning or losing is not a reflection of these student athletes character or your bull$%!# preparation for the real world spiel so save it. This season sucks because cheering for a successful team is more fun than an unsuccessful one but that’s all it is. So don’t make it out to be more.

I have to run with this...so if the Accounting equivalent of NHL is a partner at a big 4 firm or CFO of say a $500M + company...what is the UND equivalent?  

Having fun with this- don't read anything negative into it.

3 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I have to run with this...so if the Accounting equivalent of NHL is a partner at a big 4 firm or CFO of say a $500M + company...what is the UND equivalent?  

Having fun with this- don't read anything negative into it.

Senior VP, VP? I don't know, it's a tough comparison :lol: