SiouxSports.com Forum

How much more?

Siouxdiehard

I am reluctant to jump on the coach but I am afraid Barry does not have what it takes. 2016 was a "miracle year" with a not great team but since then this has been the worst performing hockey program since Rube Bjorkman. Our power play has been in the lower class of the country since Shaw took over. Even our PK is marginal compared to years past and what we need. Thankfully we found a goalie but he came in expected to be a back-up and was not "coached up" to become a starter. Barry continues to play Gardner - great face-off guy, but came as a freshman with that. Good defense but poor offensive skill, puck handling skills and an absolute idiot taking penalties - there has been no consequences to - he remains a captain and has not been benched for even 1 minute. The team is undisciplined. Upperclassman have not shown much improvement and some have gone backwards. The team is taking more shots from the blue line than I have ever seen and the majority of the shots are of poor quality. Several goalies have had "the best game of their lives" or described as "standing on their head" when they have made 1 or 2 exceptional saves and the rest are routine. BC players have way underperformed. Yep - college hockey has gotten more competitive, the players have let their coach and followers down and one of the premiere programs in the country continues its freefall to mediocracy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

34 wins  6 losses  4 ties

”a not great team”

:lol:

Was gonna say...I went to 4 or 5 games that year and while I dont know hockey very well, it was never difficult to tell which team was better.

UND had better players than everyone else in 2016, no sh:t they won the NC.  Denver was a close second.  

Now they don't and shocker alert - they aren't winning the NC.  

Much like every college sport - championships are won on the recruiting trail and off-season.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

UND had better players than everyone else in 2016, no sh:t they won the NC.  Denver was a close second.  

Now they don't and shocker alert - they aren't winning the NC.  

Much like every college sport - championships are won on the recruiting trail and off-season.  

We all know you can’t win the NC every year, but with our facilities, history oh and culture we should at least be over .500 and score some goals.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Siouxdiehard said:

I am reluctant to jump on the coach but I am afraid Barry does not have what it takes. 2016 was a "miracle year" with a not great team but since then this has been the worst performing hockey program since Rube Bjorkman. Our power play has been in the lower class of the country since Shaw took over. Even our PK is marginal compared to years past and what we need. Thankfully we found a goalie but he came in expected to be a back-up and was not "coached up" to become a starter. Barry continues to play Gardner - great face-off guy, but came as a freshman with that. Good defense but poor offensive skill, puck handling skills and an absolute idiot taking penalties - there has been no consequences to - he remains a captain and has not been benched for even 1 minute. The team is undisciplined. Upperclassman have not shown much improvement and some have gone backwards. The team is taking more shots from the blue line than I have ever seen and the majority of the shots are of poor quality. Several goalies have had "the best game of their lives" or described as "standing on their head" when they have made 1 or 2 exceptional saves and the rest are routine. BC players have way underperformed. Yep - college hockey has gotten more competitive, the players have let their coach and followers down and one of the premiere programs in the country continues its freefall to mediocracy.

You make some fair point but lose credibility with saying that 2016 was “not a great team”. Just a few guys from that team playing at the next level, and they dominated play most nights.

if anything, I’d say was a great team, and knowing what we know now, they may have won in spite of not great coaching.

im not saying Berry doesn’t know hockey. That would be asinine, but he has proved to be a good assistant. I don’t think he has what it takes to push kids into that next gear. There is zero edge to him, like what blais or Hak had.

im just bored of Berry hockey. Even when Haks teams struggled they were still fun to watch. These past two season have been BORING hockey.

• Upvote 1

There were stretches where the DOT line teams lost games they should have won but at least they were always fun to watch and the games were entertaining. The past couple seasons the entertainment value of Berry's teams has been as high as the value of Joe Finley NHL Rookie card I've been trying to sell on eBay.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Do yhe host schools of thr regionals make profit from the weekend?.

I think REA would get to keep the concessions and 52% of ticket revenue. UND's share of ticket revenue would go to NCHC I believe. 

44 minutes ago, supersioux said:

How much is it going to hurt financially to not host a first round series?  

Significant for sure.  Usually playoffs for any sport is considered a nice financial bonus......UND is gonna feel this like when Clark Griswold put the down payment on a new pool counting on a bonus that ended up just being the jelly of the month club. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, supersioux said:

I was asking about the NCHC first round?  Do we miss out on a large chunk of revenue and then have to incur the expenses of traveling?  Could be a good story for Brad but doubt we’ll ever know

NCHC league covers travel costs for 1st round playoffs......but there's a pile of missed revenue for UND not hosting a series.

Growing up, every Saturday and Sunday morning my dad would look up the score for the Sioux game in the paper and share it with the family. I remember more than anything when I looked at the WCHA standings how CC and Tech were always the worst. That was also how you followed a team in those days; unless you lived locally you could only read the score. Now we can scrutinize every detail as it happens, rewatching with the punch of a button. This is both a blessing and a curse, certainly more of the former, but it's easy to be a casual fan. If you're truly a diehard fan, weather the storm and count the blessing that the streaks represented. All things come to an end, but the forecast is sunny.

And yes, the occasional venting post is fine.

• Upvote 2

Do not like how the trend of this program is going. Changes need to be made. Coaching, recruiting it all needs adjusting. I know Berry is a great guy but I don’t think HC is a right fit for him. It really makes me miss the times we had Hak as a coach. He was very consistent and his teams came to play and were for the most part disciplined. I have no idea what the poster who said the 2016 was not great is thinking. That was a great team. 

Let's sum up the culture and process on display last night - a game in which the Sioux needed to win to keep playoff hopes alive.  Another stupid penalty at a crucial time (and one that cost us dearly - and this by a guy who just last week put us in two 5 on 3 situations with the same stupid play) by a Senior Captain who has not scored a goal in the last 19 games.  A power play that is an embarrassment to the sport of hockey.  Once again a team that is incapable of scoring more than 1 goal.  A lack of intensity.  And once again absolutely no changes from Coach.  If we think some skilled freshmen are going to turn this  program around we are delusional.  We will be somewhat better next year but will still have a busload of passengers.  Berry has shown us he's not the guy to  maintain our tradition of excellence.  The bigger question is how low must we go before changes are made. 

35 minutes ago, Irish said:

Let's sum up the culture and process on display last night - a game in which the Sioux needed to win to keep playoff hopes alive.  Another stupid penalty at a crucial time (and one that cost us dearly - and this by a guy who just last week put us in two 5 on 3 situations with the same stupid play) by a Senior Captain who has not scored a goal in the last 19 games.  A power play that is an embarrassment to the sport of hockey.  Once again a team that is incapable of scoring more than 1 goal.  A lack of intensity.  And once again absolutely no changes from Coach.  If we think some skilled freshmen are going to turn this  program around we are delusional.  We will be somewhat better next year but will still have a busload of passengers.  Berry has shown us he's not the guy to  maintain our tradition of excellence.  The bigger question is how low must we go before changes are made. 

Bigger question, can we afford to buy 4 years of a contract out which peaks at $450G in last year.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Bigger question, can we afford to buy 4 years of a contract out which peaks at $450G in last year.

It's a lot of money - on the other hand can we afford not to?  The loss of revenue if we continue to go in the toilet will be great - we are already missing the revenue from home ice this year.  This train wreck is getting hard to watch.

On 3/2/2019 at 11:36 AM, crb1 said:

Do not like how the trend of this program is going. Changes need to be made. Coaching, recruiting it all needs adjusting. I know Berry is a great guy but I don’t think HC is a right fit for him. It really makes me miss the times we had Hak as a coach. He was very consistent and his teams came to play and were for the most part disciplined.

Sincerely, I'm not picking on just this post but those of the like that have been coming in waves over the last two months....

Clinging to these very broad topics that are obviously catalysts for change without granular suggestion for improvement, is simply wasted space. At the end of the day, we all want a better team. The construct of that better team is up to our coaching staff, who are paid professionals brought into our program for a reason. Be it conversion rates on the PP, strategic and efficient line orientation/combinations, getting up and down the ice via breakouts and zone play structure..... so many things go into smart play. Talent this year is lacking relative to years past, but that isn't to say it's not there at all. I don't disagree that we have other deficiencies (could be in our staff, sure) and changes need to be made, but statements similar to the quoted above are and have been awfully frustrating. We aren't a team without coaches, and games aren't played without our athletes. Everyone is responsible for the execution and requires, at the very least, a reciprocal effort.

On the bright side, we have the top face-off winner in the country by a long shot in Rhett, which is a respect that will be sorely missed but hopefully a role that can be filled and evenly distributed in the coming years. A majority of our current roster has promising potential, and that coupled with incoming recruiting classes is an exciting prospect for our beloved program. It's a down year, but far from the "demise" as some would suggest.

Until then....let's do our best to enjoy this final stretch. It's not over until it's over. The negative energy leads to the lower.

dh.gif

• Upvote 4

On 3/2/2019 at 10:35 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Yes, we can.  $400k per average is nothing in a budget the size of UND's...it's 4 analysts with benefits