SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA VS miami GAMEDAY THREAD ( SATURDAY)

iluvdebbies

It's tough to get sweeps on the road, and our best players weren't on the ice, but a championship team finds a way to win these.  

Good grit at the end, 3+ min of empty net without being scored on is a positive, and the goal with 24 sec left is also a positive.  

But...we gave the second half of the first period to them and we didn't have to.  That, and a couple of penalties we didn't need to take, made the difference.

Western will play 60 min.  We need to show up.  As Oxbow said, the next 4 games are huge for this team.  We need to put league points in our pocket.

Injury bug already????  WTF.....

Jones being out is huge.  Just does so much for the group that flies under the radar.

Still can't score.  Maybe Gooch gets going now, but they need a guy like JJ to get one to fall and hope that he gets going too.  

1 minute ago, Irish said:

I've said this for a couple of years now, but we really really really need some guys who can score if we want to be on top again.  I like how hard we are playing and the defense is becoming a force, but if we can't score ....  

We actually have been scoring pretty well lately. This team will win by getting contributions from multiple players.

12 minutes ago, Irish said:

I've said this for a couple of years now, but we really really really need some guys who can score if we want to be on top again.  I like how hard we are playing and the defense is becoming a force, but if we can't score ....  

Personally, I’m not sure if we don’t score as much because lack of talent, but because they don’t take as many risks as other teams.  Even last night, Berry talked about the goal Miami had as Adams not realizing the situation and looking for offense.  He constantly talks about that, and making mistakes by “chasing the game”.  Perhaps that is why they allow so few shots on goal consistently.  Now if you don’t win with that you open yourself up to a lot of criticism for playing a boring brand of hockey.  As long as you are winning, things are great, if you lose, well ask Mike Eaves about that.

17 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

We actually have been scoring pretty well lately. This team will win by getting contributions from multiple players.

I guess what some are saying is it would be nice if this team had a Duncan, a Frattin, a Boeser.........a true lethal goal scorer.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I guess what some are saying is it would be nice if this team had a Duncan, a Frattin, a Boeser.........a true lethal goal scorer.

Hopefully someone will grow into that like Frattin did.  It’s funny, because guys you think will come in and be goal scorers from the start, like Wahlstrom, doesn’t always work out that way.  I think they have some guys coming in next year that could fit the bill, but you never know.  Get a few of those guys going, and add some upperclass guys, hopefully a Kawaguchi or Adams to match the Caggiula and Frattin path, and we might be an offensive force again, provided we don’ t keep losing guys consistently.

15 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Yeah that'd be great but most teams don't have those. And as great as those guys were, only one of those 3 ever won a title. Duluth did not have a Boeser-like player last yr. This yrs team strength going into the yr was defense and our shot suppression #s bear that out. This team can sit around and wait for a 25 goal scorer or accept their identity, which seems like they have.

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yeah that'd be great but most teams don't have those. And as great as those guys were, only one of those 3 ever won a title. Duluth did not have a Boeser-like player last yr. This yrs team strength going into the yr was defense and our shot suppression #s bear that out. This team can sit around and wait for a 25 goal scorer or accept their identity, which seems like they have.

I do think the coaches need to be putting the full court press on guys like Marcus Kallionkieli, just like Hakstol did with Boeser.  Of course, like I said, no guarantees they score even half as much as Boeser did his freshman year and beyond.  Not saying they aren’t chasing the elusive impact freshman, because it seems like in the age of social media we know even less than we did when word of mouth would make the rounds of big time recruits we were after.

• Upvote 1

Happy with the weekend result. 

Split on the road against a decent Miami team. 

- Positives - Kawaguchi nets his first 2 goals of the year. Confidence now boosted. He needs to continue to score. Monkey is now off his back. All the skill is there moving forward.

- Lack of scoring? Jones and Hain were out and the team still played a solid college hockey game. This team will do just fine. 

- Penski looking good and has confidence. Depth at D is gonna be huge for this squad this year.

- J. Weatherby is getting close. Once he gets his first goal and some more confidence, that’ll add to UNDs offense moving forward too.

- Final comment: 8 games in this year, (it’s early still) however, these 8 games have been more enjoyable to watch than the first 8 games last year. 

Relax Sioux fans, if this team continues trending/ getting better, they’ll make the NCAA tournament. Make the tournament, anything can happen. 

• Upvote 1

One thing this team has shown it can do which the last two years' teams didn't do much of is maintain possession.   It's not a Toews , Schmaltz or even a Kristo doing it--it's just a case of more players having the quickness and hands to make it happen during their shift.  There is probably data out there to confirm whether this is true or not, but that's what the eye test seems to show.

46 minutes ago, burd said:

One thing this team has shown it can do which the last two years' teams didn't do much of is maintain possession.   It's not a Toews , Schmaltz or even a Kristo doing it--it's just a case of more players having the quickness and hands to make it happen during their shift.  There is probably data out there to confirm whether this is true or not, but that's what the eye test seems to show.

They're ranked 4th nationally in corsi so you're intuition is correct. And believe it or not 1st nationally in PP corsi, which means that they are due to turn around their pedestrian PP.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/#adv

2 hours ago, John W. said:

Two ' mainstream'  UND sports won.. Niche sport dint....so not a bad sports weekend , in the grand scheme !!!!

People are still calling them the Sioux John.  GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT!!!!  :glare:

If the jerseys say Sioux December 29th ITS ON YOU!!!!!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, tnt said:

Hopefully someone will grow into that like Frattin did.  It’s funny, because guys you think will come in and be goal scorers from the start, like Wahlstrom, doesn’t always work out that way.  I think they have some guys coming in next year that could fit the bill, but you never know.  Get a few of those guys going, and add some upperclass guys, hopefully a Kawaguchi or Adams to match the Caggiula and Frattin path, and we might be an offensive force again, provided we don’ t keep losing guys consistently.

Frattin was always a sniper, look at his junior numbers.  The guy had serious demons which greatly affected his numbers here.

but to you point, yes, guys like adams and kawaguchi will be able to finish better in their upperclassman year.  We just have a lack of scoring in our senior and juniors years.

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Injury bug already????  WTF.....

Jones being out is huge.  Just does so much for the group that flies under the radar.

Still can't score.  Maybe Gooch gets going now, but they need a guy like JJ to get one to fall and hope that he gets going too.  

Why are you surprised, that’s a common thing for this team every season, and it always seems like our best guys are injured 

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

They're ranked 4th nationally in corsi so you're intuition is correct. And believe it or not 1st nationally in PP corsi, which means that they are due to turn around their pedestrian PP.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/#adv

Good to hear.   Watching can be deceiving sometimes.  Wins and losses tend to affect how we see things. 

If they are possessing the puck well, together with what appears to be a very good D corps, this team might have a pretty high ceiling.  The goal tending has been solid.  A lot has to happen, of course. 

12 hours ago, tnt said:

Personally, I’m not sure if we don’t score as much because lack of talent, but because they don’t take as many risks as other teams.  Even last night, Berry talked about the goal Miami had as Adams not realizing the situation and looking for offense.  He constantly talks about that, and making mistakes by “chasing the game”.  Perhaps that is why they allow so few shots on goal consistently.  Now if you don’t win with that you open yourself up to a lot of criticism for playing a boring brand of hockey.  As long as you are winning, things are great, if you lose, well ask Mike Eaves about that.

*cough* Bemidji State 

12 hours ago, Irish said:

Yup.  We have too many draft picks at forward who can't finish/scored in good numbers at pre-UND level but can't at the college level.

Look for a bigger contribution from Cole Smith, he's tied for third place in points with four other people. Kawaguchi is starting to be a force out there, he' s now the team leading scorer. He got two in one game. He can pass. I expect him to contribute more on the score sheet in the coming weeks. I think Collin Adams is really starting to contribute int he offensive zone. 

• Upvote 1

Splitting on the road in this conference is acceptable.

Now we need to sweep WMU at home this weekend.

The offense is already better than last year. And we do have some high-end recruits coming in the next couple of years who will give us a big boost in the goal scoring department.

Too late to give up on this team.

14 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Splitting on the road in this conference is acceptable.

I think people are assuming the pre-season NCHC rankings putting Miami at the bottom means they're a bad team.  I mean, they're 8-4 thus far this season, so they can't suck too badly.

This isn't a 'sky is falling' type loss IMO

• Upvote 2