SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA VS goofers GAMEDAY THREAD

iluvdebbies

Was a lot of fun at the game tonight. The atmosphere was fantastic. Was pretty cold in there, it is an ice rink for the night I know but even for that. But the crowd was into it. Preparty was really fun. They went through a lot of beer out there. Lot of beer inside too. Pretty sure the Orleans folks would have no problem hosting UND again. 

UND outplayed them most of the game. Few bad calls aside it was a great defensive game from everyone. We skated really well and you are all right about Senden. He plays so hard that he raises the bar for everyone. Kind of a younger  Nick Jones type who just works harder than everyone else.  Scheel was absolutely solid. Be hard to go back to Thome but you have to at some point. If we forecheck all the time like that, we will be a tough team to beat!!

It was definitely worth coming here. Now on to Nashville!!!

8 hours ago, SiouxTupa said:

Those possession numbers trotted out after the first Mav game were no joke. UND dominated territorially most of the game tonight. They were hard on pucks and won a lot of races. Need to find that scoring touch for the forwards, but they're in position. Great win.

If UND keeps playing like this good things will happen. 

• Upvote 3

Good win against a team that should win a lot of games.
Thought the depth of the D showed tonight all 6 played pretty well.
Kiersted was solid last year in his opportunities but he has taken another step forward this season and really solidified his position.
Was nice to have Hain back really like his game.
Yon has looked like a new player this year. Points might not be showing up yet but he is so much more impactful when he is on the ice compared to the past.
I had seen Senden plenty in high school and Fargo and I expected him to fill a role but he has been even better than I expected. Looks a step or two quicker this season.
The 5 on Mismash was a terrible call.
Atmosphere looked really fun there but the boards/glass and ice seemed terrible. Ice almost made it feel like an outdoor game and had to really limit some of the playmaking opportunities.

IMO that might have been Gardner's best game in his 4 years at UND. He was my first star. 25-11 on faceoffs, a helper and just smart dominant play especially in the D zone and on the PK. Outstanding! 

If UND can get that type of play from him moving forward they will be a tough beat.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

IMO that might have been Gardner's best game in his 4 years at UND. He was my first star. 25-11 on faceoffs, a helper and just smart dominant play especially in the D zone and on the PK. Outstanding! 

If UND can get that type of play from him moving forward they will be a tough beat.

Hands down Shaw was the player of the game.  And it was his best game of his UND career. He played with emotion and hammered the stat sheet.  Gaarder looked very good too.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Hands down Shaw was the player of the game.  And it was his best game of his UND career. He played with emotion and hammered the stat sheet.  Gaarder looked very good too.

Shaw was terrific...... probably gets overlooked last night cause his D partner scores twice.

13 hours ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

Biggest meltdown since chernobyl! Someone in the thread was scoffing at the number of empty seats to a "sold out" game. 

giphy.gif

You're telling me Gopher fans are complaining about the lack of North Dakota fans in Las Vegas? 

I suppose many of them couldn't make the trip because they were out too late on Friday night "rowing the boat" over at TCF... 

:lol:

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

The part I liked was he was stirring things up and backing it up with his play.  Reminded me of Troy Stecher.  Playing with emotion and not letting it hurt how he played.

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

IMO Underrated play of the game was Kawaguchi's pass to Poolman to set up the GWG, talk about vision

Agreed. A lot of folks were all over Kawaguchi last year but he really seemed to find his footing as the second half of last season progressed. I bet he’s going to really develop into a great player for North Dakota. 

• Upvote 1

They really hustled - like Bemidji does against us - Our forecheck had them confused & we got better at it as the game went on & victory was near - I have to give Bowen #9 a mention as I felt he was one of our most energetic players from the begining & Scheel played exactly as he should - I'm now very impressed what this team is capable of doing

• Upvote 1