SiouxSports.com Forum

MDtoGF

There is sure a boat load of optimism for this season and this game especially. Remember, we were not very good at anything last year. I don't know anything about this Mississippi Valley team but I do know that if we aren't significantly better than we were a year ago, we won't beat anybody by 50 points. I'll take the under. 

16 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Once again proof that I'm living rent free in your head....LOL

Well every time I smell crap I think of crap. Every time geaux sees something stupid he thinks of you. If you’re living rent free in his head it’s in a certain part of his head that is not flattering. Albeit rent free so enjoy your 3 hots and a cot. 

7 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

There is sure a boat load of optimism for this season and this game especially. Remember, we were not very good at anything last year. I don't know anything about this Mississippi Valley team but I do know that if we aren't significantly better than we were a year ago, we won't beat anybody by 50 points. I'll take the under. 

Umm.....a QB that has a stronger arm and is more accurate, an All American d-back that will be playing this year that wasn't last year along with many other starters that were out last year due to injury, a running back committee that loks to be very good this year.  So yeah, I beg to differ.  

I would say if you had to compare our team right now to any game last year, it would be the Missouri State game.  If you use that game as a reference, it shows that we should be able to handle this team easily.  We were able to beat a team by 34 that went in on the road and beat a team that beat MVSU by 52 points.  Granted it is only a few games, but on paper this one shouldn't be close.  I know they are hoping to be an improved team, but so are we.  Now let's just show up and play a clean game.

Scores from 2017 (home team bold)

UND 34 Missouri St 0

NDSU 38 Missouri St 11

Missouri St 36 Southern Illinois 28

NDSU 72 MVSU 7

Southern Illinois 55 MVSU 3

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

I would say if you had to compare our team right now to any game last year, it would be the Missouri State game.  If you use that game as a reference, it shows that we should be able to handle this team easily.  We were able to beat a team by 34 that went in on the road and beat a team that beat MVSU by 52 points.  Granted it is only a few games, but on paper this one shouldn't be close.  I know they are hoping to be an improved team, but so are we.  Now let's just show up and play a clean game.

Scores from 2017 (home team bold)

UND 34 Missouri St 0

NDSU 38 Missouri St 11

Missouri St 36 Southern Illinois 28

NDSU 72 MVSU 7

Southern Illinois 55 MVSU 3

I’m struggling to not use MVSUs past resume to predict how Thursday will go. We should win. But we don’t know enough about what they currently are to know what they’ll actually bring to the table on Thursday night. Who knows how improved they’ll be if at all? I’m very curious about this with how secretive they’ve been.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

But we don’t know enough about what they currently are to know what they’ll actually bring to the table on Thursday night. Who knows how improved they’ll be if at all? I’m very curious about this with how secretive they’ve been.

Indubitably. 

What'll they show up with? Wing-T? Power I? Run and Shoot*? West Coast? H-Back? Veer? Option? Spread? Pro set two back?

*If a team changes away from the Run and Shoot does that mean their old offense was the Ran and Shat? 

Their QB, Chris Fowler, doesn't appear to be too bad.  He had ten attempts vs NDSU and completed 6 of them, for 60% completion percentage (one int.)  The other QB's combined for 1 completion in twelve attempts.  I expect them to put up nearly 200 yards passing, as they did against Southern Illinois last year, and Chris again completed 60% of his passes.

mvsu.PNG

Partial 2 deep defense:

Stud OLB: Palmborg

Gordon

LE: Cieslak

Ott

Nose: Tank

Greer

Morrison

RE: Bennett

Engwall

ZEKE OLB: Turner

Lawrence

SAM ILB: Rodgers

Williams

WEAK ILB: Larson

Vrede

LCB: Holm

Blubaugh

Flyer: T. Johnson

Lenny Nelson

Still not sure about the other safety and RCB but one could make strong assumptions.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

was hoping that rooney, aplin, and blair wouldn't be anywhere near the two deep...damn it

A healthy Nguon knocks Rooney out of a starting job, Blair isn’t in the 2 deep, and UND’s OL may have lots of issues, but Aplin isn’t one of them. 

8 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

A healthy Nguon knocks Rooney out of a starting job, Blair isn’t in the 2 deep, and UND’s OL may have lots of issues, but Aplin isn’t one of them. 

if we go 5-8 this year it's because of players like aplin...great story but not a stud fcs o-lineman