SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, RogerRoger12 said:

No Offense taken, but Don’t take the bait from Kiyoat, Stay in your neck of the woods and enjoy your success, you have earned it!  You have nice teams.... With that said, Brewster started his 7th year this year, lets look at few of his stats...

2 Conference Championships

2 Coach of the years

4 top 5 finishes in the Big Sky

1 NCAA tournament berth

1 WNIT berth 

2 WBI Berths

4 straight Postseason births..IF my research is right, no other Big Sky team made a run like that when we were in that conference, consecutive postseason births i mean. 

WIth all that said, I was at the game today, and yes we struggled to make plays besides klabo.  But if you really watch, I saw that Brew gets his players the right OPEN shots, they just need to step up and knock them down to loosen it up the D on Lexi.   I’m for sure no expert and not saying anyone is wrong, just trying to think objectively, rather than with emotion.  And I think that Brew is a good Coach and loves UND.  If anyone will fight to get this right, he will!  

Side note - A lot of fun seeing all the kids at the game, great idea there!! 

This team is bad.  Last year's team was bad.  He has shown no ability to recruit pure scoring in the past 5 years. He is getting random athletes that either aren't big enough or good enough at any certain thing.  Look at SDSU or USD to see how a team should look.

Klabo is the only good player on the entire roster.

• Upvote 3

I am disappointed with this team. Major disappointment in all seniors except one. I didn’t watch the game today. Most of the players must have lost confidence in themselves. 

Appears our coach runs plays to get open shots. That is good. The same coach needs to recruit players who can actually make the open shots. This isn’t an either or.

• Upvote 1

We need the second coming of people like the Pudenz sisters and Jenny Crouse. Gene Roebuck sure knew how to reload that program to get them in the playoffs while battling a hall of fame coach 70 miles away twice and sometimes three times a year.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RogerRoger12 said:

No Offense taken, but Don’t take the bait from Kiyoat, Stay in your neck of the woods and enjoy your success, you have earned it!  You have nice teams.... With that said, Brewster started his 7th year this year, lets look at few of his stats...

2 Coach of the years

1 NCAA tournament berth

1 WNIT berth 

2 WBI Berths

4 straight Postseason births..IF my research is right, no other Big Sky team made a run like that when we were in that conference, consecutive postseason births i mean. 

WIth all that said, I was at the game today, and yes we struggled to make plays besides klabo.  But if you really watch, I saw that Brew gets his players the right OPEN shots, they just need to step up and knock them down to loosen it up the D on Lexi.   I’m for sure no expert and not saying anyone is wrong, just trying to think objectively, rather than with emotion.  And I think that Brew is a good Coach and loves UND.  If anyone will fight to get this right, he will!  

I absolutely wasn’t trying to troll.  Sorry if it came off as such.  I don’t  follow UND WBB that closely yet, since you haven’t been in the conference, so I was just wanting to get a more informed read on where you guys think the program is at.

I knew you had won the Big Sky a couple of years ago.  I also know that WBB is actually followed in North Dakota, as opposed to many other places in the Summit.  Likely due to major successes in the past, like all the D-II championships.

I don’t know why NDSU has been so bad recently, but if all 4 Dakota schools could get competitive at the same time, the Summit could become a regular multiple bid league in this sport.  That’s my agenda, or ulterior motive, in posting here, not trolling.

7 hours ago, RogerRoger12 said:

2 Coach of the years

1 NCAA tournament berth

1 WNIT berth 

2 WBI Berths

I think though if this atrocious shooting continues this season that Brewster might me just a bit on the hot seat this season but, if not, then surely next season when Klabo and Morton (decent player, high energy, but not a consistent scorer) are both gone it could well be a very,very lean year for UND lady hoops.  Then for sure Brewster would and should be on the HOT seat. 

8 minutes ago, kiyoat said:

I absolutely wasn’t trying to troll.  Sorry if it came off as such.  I don’t  follow UND WBB that closely yet, since you haven’t been in the conference, so I was just wanting to get a more informed read on where you guys think the program is at.

I knew you had won the Big Sky a couple of years ago.  I also know that WBB is actually followed in North Dakota, as opposed to many other places in the Summit.  Likely due to major successes in the past, like all the D-II championships.

I don’t know why NDSU has been so bad recently, but if all 4 Dakota schools could get competitive at the same time, the Summit could become a regular multiple bid league in this sport.  That’s my agenda, or ulterior motive, in posting here, not trolling.

I didn't see you as trolling, thought you came off as fair game/good questions.  Yup, NDSU and UND very proud and strong D-2 pgms prior to going D-1.  During the D-2 era they fared much better than the two SD schools but that has certainly changed now in the D-1 era (especially for NDSU the last several years and now for UND the last few years).  As you maybe know, UND went to the Big Dance perhaps 3-4 years ago (?) but now that seems long ago based on the last few years.  

11 hours ago, GDPritch said:

I didn't see you as trolling, thought you came off as fair game/good questions.  Yup, NDSU and UND very proud and strong D-2 pgms prior to going D-1.  During the D-2 era they fared much better than the two SD schools but that has certainly changed now in the D-1 era (especially for NDSU the last several years and now for UND the last few years).  As you maybe know, UND went to the Big Dance perhaps 3-4 years ago (?) but now that seems long ago based on the last few years.  

Well, you guys must be doing something right to keep a player like Klabo home.  I think there is plenty of opportunity, recruiting-wise in the region to support multiple elite programs.  We will probably always go head-to-head for the best Minnesota girls, but the D-1 nets are cast a little further than the D-2 nets were.

First is some of Brewster success was from Roebuck left him with quality players so he didn't have to recruit to build a program. Second he got loyd also when Roebuck was finishing his career here next year. Then he got Dyer because she was related to Huff the star on men's basketball team. His big recruits since he has been hear have been Szabla, Klabo, and Freije  that played significant minutes and produced for the program. The remainder of the recruits have played but haven't produced significant offensive numbers. Szabla was good player and produced for UND but last year she got hurt and he seemed to just forget about her reducing her minutes until she wasn't factor again. Klabo has been one true star he has recruited and she has developed over time in quite a player but he hasn't recruited or kept much for players around her. Freije was here last year produced for him and was constantly filling in at many different roles until she got hurt last year and then like Szabla he reduced her role on the team with his favoring Dooley. I don't know all the in and outs of what going on in program but to loose Freije on her senior year and girl that was second on scoring for the team he had to tell her she was going to have reduced roll and he was going different direction. The problem here is that he hasn't found anyone to make up for her offense and what she could provide team in rebounding defense in the middle. I have nothing against Dooley she wonderful athlete but she doesn't have enough time to develop into player she could be because she has only played one season before this after not playing basketball for four years. I think he looked at Dooley saw this athlete that was bigger than Freije and quicker and could move really well he thought she could replace Freije but because of playing time it wasn't going to happen. The recruits he has made at guard are another issue because the ones he has brought in not one of them have showed they can shoot at this level Franklin, Daley sisters, Morton and Strand plus number of other girls over the years. The current group of guards I don't much about so far they are not shooting if it was the case we would have see some offense from them. To also be fair he doesn't give his guards a lot of confidence either from what I have seen and example was last year in Big Sky tournament Reinke was only girl hitting outside shot in their last game but what does he do pulls her from the game and never puts in again for the game. I have seen this to many times he has played mind games with his girls and not to the betterment of the player.

I believe Brewster got lazy after his NCAA run and his recruiting suffered and also his coaching of the team got worse. I truly believed he thought he was moving on but jobs never developed like he thought. So we are now stuck with his last big recruit playing this year with not a lot of help for her especially from the offensive side of the game. There looks to be girls that could become quality players and girls recruited that should help in the future but there are a lot of ifs. The thing is are going to keep Brewster on belief he can turn things around or do want to make a change. I am of the belief it time for a change because his reputation of his handling of his players and will limit Und from recruiting some quality players and I also think we need fresh look at what it will take to win in the Summit conference. This is tough call for the AD and even what it could mean for the UND womens basketball in the future.

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Down 52-13 at the half

shooting 20%

15 turnovers - this is an interesting 39.5% of our possessions in the 1st half

Sadly, they are plating a team that was beaten by USD a week ago. And USD is probably not the best team in the Summit, Not trolling, NDSU is no better, probably worse, but just saying the ND schools have an enormous hill to climb to be competitive in the Summit. 

10 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Sadly, they are plating a team that was beaten by USD a week ago. And USD is probably not the best team in the Summit, Not trolling, NDSU is no better, probably worse, but just saying the ND schools have an enormous hill to climb to be competitive in the Summit. 

Hey, I hear you.  I see NDSU lost at home tonight to Milwaukee by just 2 pts, better showing points-differential wise than UND did on Fri.  SD schools no doubt are head and shoulders above ND so far in the D-1 era.

GF Herald on-line story on today's game:  "Iowa State scored the first 8 points but the Hawks did hang around for the first 4 minutes, trailing 9-6. But UND later went through a nearly 9-minute scoring drought and the Cyclones took advantage, going up 38-9."  Oh man, times are indeed bad when story says "did hang around for the first four minutes".  It's damn near impossible to NOT hang around for the first 4 minutes, isn't it?  and I think "drought" is perhaps being kind.  Yoy, yoy, yoy.  Tough days indeed.

• Upvote 1