SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

52 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Is she gonna demand more games in Vegas? More % of ticket sales from the football team? Gotta wonder what her deal is, is she gonna run for president of UND when Kennedy is gone. 

Ms. McGarry pretty much already is President of The Ralph in how this is all legally setup with 3 non profits and a LLC.

Don't really see anything new here though. In the disagreement with president Kennedy earlier this year, she already mentioned she will not support the U but does support the students (whatever that support the students means). The GF Herald gets another F here. What the hell are they doing bringing this up again? Nothing new here, just stirring the pot.

Now if Ms. McGarry (trustee of Engelstad Foundation - $800M strong) said, "The foundation will give the U $XXM when they swear in the next president" that would be new news!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Ms. McGarry pretty much already is President of The Ralph in how this is all legally setup with 3 non profits and a LLC.

Don't really see anything new here though. In the disagreement with president Kennedy earlier this year, she already mentioned she will not support the U but does support the students (whatever that support the students means). The GF Herald gets another F here. What the hell are they doing bringing this up again? Nothing new here, just stirring the pot.

Now if Ms. McGarry (president of Engelstad Foundation - $800M strong) said, "The foundation will give the U $XXM when they swear in the next president" that would be new news!

Yeah, and then she will rescind the donation when she doesn't like the president they hire.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Now if Ms. McGarry (trustee of Engelstad Foundation - $800M strong) said, "The foundation will give the U $XXM when they swear in the next president" that would be new news!

She will support the hockey players and their scholarships. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I pointed this out months ago, but was told to shut up and kiss her royal feet. Pigs will fly and hell will freeze over before that happens.

I've been with you for a long time. She hurts UND more than She helps it. Her comments about not having a relationship with President Kennedy just shows how entitled she feels she is. I cannot wait until the arena is turned over to UND so we don't have to listen to her cluck around any longer.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The GF Herald gets another F here. What the hell are they doing bringing this up again? Nothing new here, just stirring the pot.

This!  Must be a slow news day at the Heraldo.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I've been with you for a long time. She hurts UND more than She helps it. Her comments about not having a relationship with President Kennedy just shows how entitled she feels she is. I cannot wait until the arena is turned over to UND so we don't have to listen to her cluck around any longer.

We should all hope this never happens.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, petey23 said:

We should all hope this never happens.

I agree with you on this point. I don't agree with some of the things the REA does or how some of the agreements are set up, but UND would lose a lot of flexibility in how certain things are run. However KEM stating she wants to have no relationship with UND with Kennedy at the helm is almost forcing their hand in taking it that way. Not sure who is to blame, I'm sure there are things on both sides, but this is becoming a bit of a pattern with one of the sides.

Has it been answered how the board members of the REA are chosen?  I think the simple answer is to keep it ran by a board separate from UND, but not have her on the board.  If you aren't a supporter of UND, you shouldn't be on the REA board.  Also, as great as Hodgson may be for the REA, it seems to me he is the one causing a lot of the problems here (via McGarry).  If he is unwilling to support UND, he can go elsewhere too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I agree with you on this point. I don't agree with some of the things the REA does or how some of the agreements are set up, but UND would lose a lot of flexibility in how certain things are run. However KEM stating she wants to have no relationship with UND with Kennedy at the helm is almost forcing their hand in taking it that way. Not sure who is to blame, I'm sure there are things on both sides, but this is becoming a bit of a pattern with one of the sides.

Sure they should renegotiate the terms of the arrangement but we do not want the University or any state run agency running the arena.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Sure they should renegotiate the terms of the arrangement but we do not want the University or any state run agency running the arena.

We don't really have a choice.  2030 UND takes over.  I don't know why everyone thinks the REA is going to go to hell once UND takes control.  Zero eveidence that is going to happen.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

We don't really have a choice.  2030 UND takes over.  I don't know why everyone thinks the REA is going to go to hell once UND takes control.  Zero eveidence that is going to happen.  

I think we should hire that Philadelphia firm that runs the Alerus Center and has turned that place around in a very short period of time. They know what they are doing.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

They don’t want to see more Hawk logos in and around the building, and you know in 2030 that’s what is going to happen.

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

There's already an operating agreement that's supposed to be negotiated annually.....that didn't go so well last time UND tried to ask for a few changes, I don't have much faith that it would go any better when you're talking control of the whole building. I'm fully with you that turning it over to UND isn't the ideal situation, but even with a decade plus to go, it is on the path to ending poorly.

39 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think we should hire that Philadelphia firm that runs the Alerus Center and has turned that place around in a very short period of time. They know what they are doing.

The problem isn't the management company per se.....it is if UND owns it, there is a lot of flexibility lost on the arena and what they are able to do. Some of it good, some of it bad. For example, do you think if UND owned the arena they would have provided financial backing for the MSG or LV games the way the REA was able to? Remember, there was no guarantee of money being made when the contracts were signed and any loss fell back on the REA (and partially the NCHC for the MSG game). The management company also wouldn't have the capital expenditure oversight that currently resides with the REA, that would fall back to UND. 

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND has a history of letting all kinds of structures accumulate massive amounts of deferred maintenance costs on top of generally not updating things.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

UND has a history of letting all kinds of structures accumulate massive amounts of deferred maintenance costs on top of generally not updating things.

I guess we will see how new Aviation buildings, The new Med School,  Gorecki, and the HPC do over the next decade.