SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

They don’t want to see more Hawk logos in and around the building, and you know in 2030 that’s what is going to happen.

Lol. Wishful thinking. Contracts will get renegotiated and that arena will never ever ever getbhanded over to UND.. you'll see wait til 2030 and come back and read this. 

1 minute ago, FightingSU said:

Lol. Wishful thinking. Contracts will get renegotiated and that arena will never ever ever getbhanded over to UND.. you'll see wait til 2030 and come back and read this. 

Actually, given the friction between Kennedy and KEM, I would bet that the REA gets turned over before 2030 given that the relationship is so toxic.  KEM may want to just be done with UND and the REA all together!!

• Upvote 1

If u watch her interview. She has stronger sentimental feelings towards und and the fighting sioux and the hockey program than you think. The arena simply wont be handed over. 

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Actually, given the friction between Kennedy and KEM, I would bet that the REA gets turned over before 2030 given that the relationship is so toxic.  KEM may want to just be done with UND and the REA all together!!

• Upvote 1

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

She doesn't have a choice once 2030 comes around.

Contracts can be renegotiated. Nothing is ever truly set in stone. If they can make a good deal. the u dint get the arena. Honestly. the may not truly want it. Gonna come with a lotttttttt of extra problems. Maintenance. Management. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

As long as Kennedy is here, I believe UND will do better on building maintenance.  Seeing as he's constantly ripped for spending on and prioritizing capital needs rather than failing programs, I don't expect the next president to do so.

He’s an armchair architect, buildings are very high on his list of priorities. Unfortunately he has a thing for collegiate gothic and only collegiate gothic on campus. There will be no modern buildings built during his tenure that aren’t fake old buildings.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

Contracts can be renegotiated. Nothing is ever truly set in stone. If they can make a good deal. the u dint get the arena. Honestly. the may not truly want it. Gonna come with a lotttttttt of extra problems. Maintenance. Management. 

I don't think you understand how the lease/contract on the REA is written and works. KEM/REA Foundation does not have bargaining power on the ownership of the building after 30 years, which will be the difference in those negotiations (and possibly the downfall) as 2030 nears. The lease states the building is to be turned over to UND after 30 years. Period. The only way it would remain as is, is if UND makes a decision that is what they would like to do. No one can say "you can't have the arena". You very well may be right that they don't want to burden of managing it (which would be the ideal situation), but that again is UND's decision to make and from their position, owning the building and having 100% input might be worth the headache.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He’s an armchair architect, buildings are very high on his list of priorities. Unfortunately he has a thing for collegiate gothic and only collegiate gothic on campus. There will be no modern buildings built during his tenure that aren’t fake old buildings.

Was hoping a new Memorial Union would have a "Wow factor." But to me the new exterior won't look that different from the current one.

They did a good job with the Wilkerson remodel.

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'm happy to maintain a collegiate gothic look for central campus, personally. Collegiate gothic on the outside and modern (lots of natural light, modern amenities, and clean feel) on the inside seems the perfect combo :D

The new med school is hideous. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm happy to maintain a collegiate gothic look for central campus, personally. Collegiate gothic on the outside and modern (lots of natural light, modern amenities, and clean feel) on the inside seems the perfect combo :D

The new med school is hideous. 

Med school bad, alumni and Wilkie good.

3 hours ago, FightingSU said:

The current contract is supposed to be negotiated yearly. 11 years and 2 months, this will not be an issue.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I don't think you understand how the lease/contract on the REA is written and works. KEM/REA Foundation does not have bargaining power on the ownership of the building after 30 years, which will be the difference in those negotiations (and possibly the downfall) as 2030 nears. The lease states the building is to be turned over to UND after 30 years. Period. The only way it would remain as is, is if UND makes a decision that is what they would like to do. No one can say "you can't have the arena". You very well may be right that they don't want to burden of managing it (which would be the ideal situation), but that again is UND's decision to make and from their position, owning the building and having 100% input might be worth the headache.

I think getting UND getting 100% of the profit will help alleviate the headache!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Agree on the alumni center. Wilkerson they took an old ugly building and made it a modern ugly building (the exterior anyway). My opinion only. 

Considering the existing building was ugly as an and also considering how tight budgets are for projects like that I can’t imagine a much better job being possible.

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

And, there might need to be approval from the ND State Legislature to delay the consummation of ownership of this future interest in 2030.  Assuming the U, all 3 non-profits, and the LLC agree to continue. 

Since 2000 the Legislature may have a change of heart regarding this successful endeavor.

• Upvote 1

Understand the power of a dollar here, I do not care how the current lease or agreement is written. Contracts can ALWAYS be renegotiated, especially when HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars are involved. Rea/Kem and even UND have at least *roughly, 12 years to devise, plan and strategize a new contract.. or not.  But most likely, some sort of renegotiation will happen, and I just do not beleive UND will get the Ralph. Maybe I'll be wrong. But that's my belief..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1