SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

4 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

So if the football budget was going to pay for these braces, but alumni stepped up with donations to cover it, where did the original funds get spent, donuts?

Either reserves, so they can afford new $3.8 million video boards in the future :wink:, or spent on something else.

On 10/1/2018 at 12:03 PM, Cratter said:

I wanna read the headline "UND installs largest scoreboard in college hockey and 4th largest of any NHL arena."

I'm worried too big of a scoreboard will hurt the atmosphere of the arena.  Please not something like this:

Nuggets get giant new scoreboard, claim it to be largest ...The Lightningâs arena will have a pretty big HD video ...

10 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I'm worried too big of a scoreboard will hurt the atmosphere of the arena.  Please not something like this:

I disagree. It'll add to the world class feel of the facility.

There's a reason people love big scoreboards and facilities all over the country are upgrading.

Tampa's was awesome when I saw it.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Cratter said:

There's a reason people love big scoreboards and facilities all over the country are upgrading.

Agree to disagree.  I just would rather look at a packed house of rabid fans, rather than a scoreboard.  Can watch TV at home and don't want that thing blocking my view of the amazing facility that is the Ralph.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Instant replays will be more clear, crowd pump ups will be more engaging, it will improve the atmosphere for sure.  I have no doubt it will be tastefully done while also being a huge upgrade for the arena. One needs to look no further than Jody Hodgson's sparkling resume of managing and upgrading REA to keep it as pristine as the day it was opened.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

One needs to look no further than Jody Hodgson's sparkling resume of managing and upgrading REA to keep it as pristine as the day it was opened.

This is not a knock on Jody at all, he does an absolutely amazing job, with a ton of it behind the scenes that most people never see or hear about and he gets no credit at all for most of it, but with the resources and amount of latitude the REA has, there's absolutely no reason that the REA shouldn't remain in the condition that is has. Hoping Jody stays around for a long time, he stepped in and has done a great job.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

This is not a knock on Jody at all, he does an absolutely amazing job, with a ton of it behind the scenes that most people never see or hear about and he gets no credit at all for most of it, but with the resources and amount of latitude the REA has, there's absolutely no reason that the REA shouldn't remain in the condition that is has. Hoping Jody stays around for a long time, he stepped in and has done a great job.

Agreed on all points, I was just refuting the thought that the new scoreboard might be some out of place monstrosity that detracts from the gameday experience. I can't imagine that happening on Jody's watch. 

• Upvote 1

I would assume a "large" jumbotron thing ama jig would be placed so that it hinders no sight lines, are you implying that you choose to observe individuals in the opposing stands?  I am reminded of an old, long forgotten TV sitcom starring a new Ellen Degenerous.  Her roommate had spent all day in front of the "new technology" big screen TV and when asked about it, he replied "I thought there was never anything good to watch on TV, turns out it just wasn't big enough"....  bring on the advancements, I wouldn't feel like a proper curmudgeon if I didn't stand in awe, mumbling what the heck...

On 9/26/2018 at 10:53 AM, tnt said:

Because the "game changer" of the indoor practice facility hasn't helped us figure out to win the games you are supposed to.  The nice thing is that with Phase 2, Rudy will have a nice space to draw up those plays that will help "get er' done".

What plays he hasn’t looked above the middle ring of the first page in the binder for years. 

On 10/5/2018 at 11:46 AM, Cratter said:

I don’t care how world class the facility or scoreboard is if the sport played in the facility isn’t world class itself.

Upper Upper Northern Hemisphere class maybe?  

But hey, priorities ... 

• Downvote 5

35 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I don’t care how world class the facility or scoreboard is if the sport played in the facility isn’t world class itself.

Upper Upper Northern Hemisphere class maybe?  

But hey, priorities ... 

Don't hate. Appreciate.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I appreciate quality sports, not niche ones, but I do understand reality has to be embraced sometimes. Hockey, REA, and Grand Forks dynamic is what it is. 

Big soccer fan eh?  It's too bad NFL-style football (not to be confused with futbol) is only popular in one country.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I appreciate quality sports, not niche ones, but I do understand reality has to be embraced sometimes. Hockey, REA, and Grand Forks dynamic is what it is. 

These football only fans are salty, gotta love someone ripping on the most successful program at their own university. 

• Upvote 4

Hockey will steal the show again in GF. Exhibition game was a sellout, even tough a couple thousand fan no shows. 20+ games should have over 11,500 attendance. That's a hell of an asset for the U. 

Now football, has it's challenges and is moving in that direction. I'm looking forward to continued attendance gains. 

Again, always seems to be some attendance confusion on here: Attendance = seats sold(given/students) and not people that actually came to game.

• Upvote 1