SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

Just now, Goon said:

Exactly.

So everything is just fine the way it is? I disagree.

-If Berry has one more season like this, he is on the hot seat. Two more like this.....and it's time to make a change.

-Same thing with Bubba and FB. If we have another disappointing season this fall, it's hot seat time. If it happens two more years......time to make a change.

-Same goes for WBB and MBB.

Bill Chaves is the new sheriff in town. He hired none of these coaches. I think all of them are on unofficial notice.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So everything is just fine the way it is? I disagree.

-If Berry has one more season like this, he is on the hot seat. Two more like this.....and it's time to make a change.

-Same thing with Bubba and FB. If we have another disappointing season this fall, it's hot seat time. If it happens two more years......time to make a change.

-Same goes for WBB and MBB.

Bill Chaves is the new sheriff in town. He hired none of these coaches. I think all of them are on unofficial notice.

Level of hotness. 

Jones - getting hotter. 

Bubba -- lukewarm. 

The rest are fine. 

Just now, Goon said:

Level of hotness. 

Jones - getting hotter. 

Bubba -- lukewarm. 

The rest are fine. 

Brewster is "fine"? WBB just had their worst season in about 30 years. "Fine?" I don't think so.

Jones I agree with you on. He is down to his ninth of nine lives.

Bubba needs to bounce back this season or his seat will get very warm.

Berry will need to get back to the NCAA tournament next year or his seat will get very warm as well.

7 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

Calling for Berrys head is ridiculous and moronic. He's had control for only 3 years and only a few of his own recruits on campus. Adding injuries and some guys not stepping up, makes for a tough season. If the boys won even a third of their overtime games, everyone here would be happy. Most of you don't understand the logistics of hockey. 

If we have one more year like this, his seat will get very warm very quickly. I am not calling for his head this very minute, I think we can bounce back next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we have one more year like this, his seat will get very warm very quickly. I am not calling for his head this very minute, I think we can bounce back next year. But I will have to see it first.

At the end of the day, players have to play. You don't even have any names to substitute him. Don't even think about Gretzky, I've been harassing him to coach the Sioux since Blais left.... 

1 minute ago, Sioux90 said:

At the end of the day, players have to play. You don't even have any names to substitute him. Don't even think about Gretzky, I've been harassing him to coach the Sioux since Blais left.... 

So Berry just gets a pass? That is not how it works in a Division I program like this and you know that.

And there are a lot of up and coming coaches who would kill to get this job. The program is bigger than any one person.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

So Berry just gets a pass? That is not how it works in a Division I program like this and you know that.

And there are a lot of up and coming coaches who would kill to get this job. The program is bigger than any one person.

A pass on what? What exactly are you going on about?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Sioux90 said:

A pass on what? What exactly are you going on about?

The team looked undisciplined, unfocused and was inconsistent throughout. That is on coaching. Whatever the problem is (and there are some theories floating around this forum), it is up to Berry and his staff to figure it out and fix it. I think a house cleaning of the roster may be in order. If there are some attitude problems, they need to be sent packing. It doesn't take too many rotten apples to spoil the whole bin.

Having said all that, I think we can bounce back next season. We lost a lot of close games this year and had 10 ties. Even a slight improvement puts us back in the national tournament.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

It is also the coaching staffs job to make sure the players are ready to play and execute. They are responsible for whatever happens in the program no excuses. I remember a couple years where injuries were much worse than this and Hak and staff found a way to get the team in the tournament. Blown leads, no shows, and a team that seemed to play worse in the 2nd half off the season are very concerning to me. If next season is anything like this one and ends with us at home watching the tournament instead of playing Berry should definitely feel the heat.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

Calling for Berrys head is ridiculous and moronic. He's had control for only 3 years and only a few of his own recruits on campus. Adding injuries and some guys not stepping up, makes for a tough season. If the boys won even a third of their overtime games, everyone here would be happy. Most of you don't understand the logistics of hockey. 

Part of not winning any of those overtime games and blowing multiple 2 goal leads late in the season is on the coaching staff though. Some people wanted to crown Berry and give him all the credit for the National Championship and not give any to Hak. So if people wanna give him all the credit why doesn't he deserve blame this year? You stack back to back years together like this and it is big trouble. Now hopefully Berry can adapt and make the necessary changes and improvements to the program to get it back where it belongs next year but lets not act like there weren't some issues this year that were troubling and can't continue to happen.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No one should leave the team yet, not even Wolanin or Gersich. Wolanin needs another year to work on his defensive game and if Gersich leaves early he’ll be an AHL lifer If he’s not going to be already. 

If Wolanin stays I’m sure he’ll be the captain, if not then Rhett we probly wear the C. I wouldn’t mind seeing Jones be the captain but he should at least wear an A along with Poolman

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The team looked undisciplined, unfocused and was inconsistent throughout. That is on coaching. Whatever the problem is (and there are some theories floating around this forum), it is up to Berry and his staff to figure it out and fix it. I think a house cleaning of the roster may be in order. If there are some attitude problems, they need to be sent packing. It doesn't take too many rotten apples to spoil the whole bin.

Having said all that, I think we can bounce back next season. We lost a lot of close games this year and had 10 ties. Even a slight improvement puts us back in the national tournament.

Yeah, I agree that 10 ties or whatever the number is was a huge problem. The guy coached a team to a National Championship.

26 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

Meaning what exactly? Since when do you have to score a lot of goals to be a Captain?

You don't.....but being a captain means you are basically the sheriff of the team.  As long as people are doing their jobs you are in the background.  When they screw up (or start sleeping with a teammates girlfriend) you lay the hammer down.

• Downvote 2

Looks like Hain, Senden, Weathersby, Scheel coming in.....didnt care to look much harder.  @brianvf is the guru here.

Losing: Cam, Olson, Pogo, Simo, and probably Gersich and Wolanin.

Goaltending:  Scheel having a great year in BCHL....Thome the guy early.

Defense:  Please stay Poolman.....but a good core group of guys come back.

Forwards:  Ohh boy.... Who are your top six?  Jones, Rhett, JJ, Gooch, Hain, Adams???  That's if you keep Hoff at center....or he is in the top six at wing.

Need big summers from some guys in the weight room with Poolman. 

1 minute ago, Emerald joker said:

No one should leave the team yet, not even Wolanin or Gersich. Wolanin needs another year to work on his defensive game and if Gersich leaves early he’ll be an AHL lifer If he’s not going to be already. 

If Wolanin stays I’m sure he’ll be the captain, if not then Rhett we probly wear the C. I wouldn’t mind seeing Jones be the captain but he should at least wear an A along with Poolman

Agreed.  Except Gersich at this point is more of a ECHL/Europe type of player.  He should chat with Jason Gregoire.  

• Upvote 1