SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Looks like Hain, Senden, Weathersby, Scheel coming in.....didnt care to look much harder.  @brianvf is the guru here.

Losing: Cam, Olson, Pogo, Simo, and probably Gersich and Wolanin.

Goaltending:  Scheel having a great year in BCHL....Thome the guy early.

Defense:  Please stay Poolman.....but a good core group of guys come back.

Forwards:  Ohh boy.... Who are your top six?  Jones, Rhett, JJ, Gooch, Hain, Adams???  That's if you keep Hoff at center....or he is in the top six at wing.

Need big summers from some guys in the weight room with Poolman. 

Guys that could come in
Forwards: Hain, Senden, Weatherby, Keane, Huber
Defensemen: Tychonick, Bernard-Docker
Goalies: Scheel

Only guy I could see not coming in is Bernard-Docker depending on departures unless the staff tells somebody like Keane that he might want to look elsewhere. I guess if you didn't lose any forwards as early departures maybe Hain could be delayed because he is younger but I think he will make the biggest impact next year of the incoming forwards.

Just now, Sioux90 said:

Yeah, I agree that 10 ties or whatever the number is was a huge problem. The guy coached a team to a National Championship.

I agree with you on 2016. Berry was masterful in how he managed that team. He pushed all the right buttons and kept them healthy by holding them out when they were injured and/or sick. By NCAA tournament time, they were rested, healthy, energized and ready to roll. And roll they did (minus the tight semifinal game vs. Denver)!

Winning that title also led us to losing a large number of players early the last two years. And Berry and his staff have not adjusted well to those losses. That is the most disappointing part of this season; the lack of progress our younger players made from October to March. That could bleed into next season, compounding the problems.

My concern is that even two down years could led to us losing ground to programs like Denver, St. Cloud and whomever else. And once you lose ground like that, it is hard to regain it.

Like I said, we could bounce back next season. But they will have to fix the locker room issues and have their underclassmen improve over this year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SiouxScore said:

Guys that could come in
Forwards: Hain, Senden, Weatherby, Keane, Huber
Defensemen: Tychonick, Bernard-Docker
Goalies: Scheel

Only guy I could see not coming in is Bernard-Docker depending on departures unless the staff tells somebody like Keane that he might want to look elsewhere. I guess if you didn't lose any forwards as early departures maybe Hain could be delayed because he is younger but I think he will make the biggest impact next year of the incoming forwards.

How could I forget about Tychonik....he will be the biggest impact kid likely.

49 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

Calling for Berrys head is ridiculous and moronic. He's had control for only 3 years and only a few of his own recruits on campus. Adding injuries and some guys not stepping up, makes for a tough season. If the boys won even a third of their overtime games, everyone here would be happy. Most of you don't understand the logistics of hockey. 

What do the "logistics of hockey" have to do with puking up 2 and 3 goal leads constantly or not being able to put away critical games in overtime.  This we understand.  We get that guys didn't step up.  Who is in charge of player development, recruit assessment, and closing on top recruits?  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Irish said:

What do the "logistics of hockey" have to do with puking up 2 and 3 goal leads constantly or not being able to put away critical games in overtime.  This we understand.  We get that guys didn't step up.  Who is in charge of player development, recruit assessment, and closing on top recruits?  

Recruiting happens years in advance, and it's probably 50/50 on development. Caggiula as a Senior is light years better than Caggiula as a freshman. When I say logistics, I am talking about things away from game day. Berry has two recruits on campus right now, Guchi and Jones.

9 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

Recruiting happens years in advance, and it's probably 50/50 on development. Caggiula as a Senior is light years better than Caggiula as a freshman. When I say logistics, I am talking about things away from game day. Berry has two recruits on campus right now, Guchi and Jones.

Some high end studs have been late additions - see Boesser.  And it is not like Berry dropped in from another program - he was head of recruiting under Hak.  I guess I am really frustrated in that this team seems light years away from what I believe Sioux hockey is both in talent and effort.  No reason a team like St. Cloud should be so much more talented than us that it shows readily on the ice.  They skated circles around us.  And we have no one on our team who is close to light years better than he was a year or two ago.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you on 2016. Berry was masterful in how he managed that team. He pushed all the right buttons and kept them healthy by holding them out when they were injured and/or sick. By NCAA tournament time, they were rested, healthy, energized and ready to roll. And roll they did (minus the tight semifinal game vs. Denver)!

Winning that title also led us to losing a large number of players early the last two years. And Berry and his staff have not adjusted well to those losses. That is the most disappointing part of this season; the lack of progress our younger players made from October to March. That could bleed into next season, compounding the problems.

My concern is that even two down years could led to us losing ground to programs like Denver, St. Cloud and whomever else. And once you lose ground like that, it is hard to regain it.

Like I said, we could bounce back next season. But they will have to fix the locker room issues and have their underclassmen improve over this year.

A lot of what you said is true, but many coaches could have won with that 2016 team, they were juiced.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

A lot of what you said is true, but many coaches could have won with that 2016 team, they were juiced.

That Top line and a good D core won it. It helped playing a defensive Quinnipiac team whos best player was hurt the whole game. That 2016 team was good, but 2011 was better.

23 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

By juiced do you mean everybody played a 200 foot game?  Even our star forwards back-checked like there was no tomorrow and that was the difference.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Brewster is "fine"? WBB just had their worst season in about 30 years. "Fine?" I don't think so.

Jones I agree with you on. He is down to his ninth of nine lives.

Bubba needs to bounce back this season or his seat will get very warm.

Berry will need to get back to the NCAA tournament next year or his seat will get very warm as well.

Go ahead and fire Brewster, he'd be picked up in a heart beat. 

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The team looked undisciplined, unfocused and was inconsistent throughout. That is on coaching. Whatever the problem is (and there are some theories floating around this forum), it is up to Berry and his staff to figure it out and fix it. I think a house cleaning of the roster may be in order. If there are some attitude problems, they need to be sent packing. It doesn't take too many rotten apples to spoil the whole bin.

Having said all that, I think we can bounce back next season. We lost a lot of close games this year and had 10 ties. Even a slight improvement puts us back in the national tournament.

You do realize that all of UND's coaches have coached on a very high level? Berry coached in the NHL, Dane Jackson has already coached in the AHL before he came to UND. Matt Shaw has coached in the NHL, AHL and the USHL. That's an impressive pedigree. 

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Not as much as Bill Chaves has getting this athletic department out of the gutter (volleyball is exempt from this).

If there was no changes that made it go from Hero to Zero in one year. What changes does Chaves make it go back to Hero in one year?

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Brewster is "fine"? WBB just had their worst season in about 30 years. "Fine?" I don't think so.

Not sure why Brewster seems to always be given a pass. Maybe cause less people pay attention to womens basketball?

If you asked people what the number one goal of the basketball teams should be, it would be to make March Madness (sorta like hockey team can finish middle of the conference pack, but as long as they make the postseason/frozen four that's all that really matters).

Brian Jones has a better track record of reaching that goal than Brewster.

The 2016 National Championship was Haks team and recruits. With the talent we had that year, we would have won with any coach in there! Hakstol's recruits are now about gone, and the talent has dried up. IMO its only gonna get worse! Berry's been riding on Hakstols shirt tale, but has now been exposed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Strange seeing this thread pop up this early.  Been a long time since that happened.
It was an odd season...at times this team looked like they could hang with (and beat) anyone.  At other times they couldn't even beat last-placed Miami.
The theme of this team will always be one of inconsistency.  And that's unfortunate...as they really did have decent potential from watching them skate toe-to-toe with DU and SCSU in many games.

For next year, I really suppose it depends on what happens with Wolanin, Gersich, Gardner, Poolman...and any other surprise departures like Adams.
I think they'd all gain something from coming back, but I would guess Wolanin and Gersich won't return.  Gardner and Poolman I think would be a good chance at returning.
Adams I would guess could have a great offseason and be a top-6 forward on next year's roster.  He did show some great offensive ability early this year.

Too early to think about this stuff.  It's a long way until October...

• Upvote 1