SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. CC Tigers - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

30 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I agree.  The one thing I think that’s missing are recruits we’ve missed on because of the Hak departure....which is almost impossible to know.  But at a high level, many of the recent high end recruits (from the US) are going elsewhere.  We have gotten some nice young Canadians but they are super young.  Worried about the next few years here.  Hopefully we get Rizzo to come but how things are going now I would be surprised to see him go elsewhere.

Any insight on how we went from National Champions with an NHL ready top line to this in less that two years?  I'm more than speechless that our recruiting is less than stellar immediately after winning it all.  I get that we lost a lot of early departures but I would think selling our program to top prospects shouldn't be that hard.  What's going on with Berry and Company?  A lot of the frustration and speculation on this board comes from the fact that we see play like last night but have absolutely no insight into what is going on.  Next year looks like a team of 3rd liners again.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

For the talk about Berry recruits and Hakstol recruits here is what I found. Looking up when guys committed and when Hak left. Thome, Casey Johnson, Jones, Rieger, Smith, Hoff, and Kawaguchi committed after the coaching change. Looking at future recruits Keane and Senden both committed before the change. You can talk about how many are Berry recruits and how many are Hak but this is Berry's team. The only guys on the current team that played under Hak are the SRs so if there is anybody he didn't want he could've told the guy they were gonna go in a different direction after he took over as head coach. Somebody posted earlier Hak got out at almost the right time but this team may not look the same if Hak never leaves. Who knows what recruits he would've added to this group in the last couple years. 

I don't think Berry should be fired at all right now but I also think this team should be in a better place than it is right now. It isn't all about talent with team right now either. There is a lack of urgency and intensity throughout the team. Too many times guys look for somebody else to go make something happen and watch instead of getting after it and that is in all areas of the game.

The seat is definitely getting warmer for Berry with each bad loss and bad weekend.

One other way to look at it is this is just the law of averages sticking its nose in. We were bound to have a down year at some point. We just don't want it to turn into 3 or 5 down years. With all the advantages we have (winning tradition, numerous alums in the NHL, NCAA title two years ago, best facilities in the world), that should not happen. And if it does, I think Berry knows his head will be served up on a platter.

9 minutes ago, northernraider said:

How long do you think It would take the new AD to starting looking for a new direction if this trend continues? Next season or in two seasons?

I'm not sure who hires and fires the hockey coaches.  It might be the Prez and the AD, but it might also be the Zamboni driver over at the Ralph.

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The seat is definitely getting warmer for Berry with each bad loss and bad weekend.

One other way to look at it is this is just the law of averages sticking its nose in. We were bound to have a down year at some point. We just don't want it to turn into 3 or 5 down years. With all the advantages we have (winning tradition, numerous alums in the NHL, NCAA title two years ago, best facilities in the world), that should not happen. And if it does, I think Berry knows his head will be served up on a platter.

There's been down years...when they've been a 4 seed.

3 minutes ago, dden3 said:

I'm not sure who hires and fires the hockey coaches.  It might be the Prez and the AD, but it might also be the Zamboni driver over at the Ralph.

You're kidding right?    Everyone knows it's the GOBC that decides this

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJS said:

I'll die on the hill that it isn't completely a talent issue with this team, I'm not saying they should be a #1 seed, but we've seen this team be very, very good. They can and have played with the best teams in the country. I also don't think they are that far off from being a good team. Last night was a bad loss, but did anyone think CC was a much better team? 

With the ups and downs of this year, what I'm losing my mind over is special teams. If nothing else, when this team doesn't make the tournament for the first time in 16 years, you can circle that as the # 1 culprit. It's beyond pathetic, Shaw deserves nothing but blame. 

It’s either Shaw sucks as the PP coach or the guys aren’t quite good enough to pull off what he’s trying to do or a little of both. It feels like most of the year this team has been on the same step as everyone else and not a step a head like we’re used to seeing. And it hurts even more now that Jones isn’t playing. On the PP it feels like once we get the puck the opposing team is right on us, we need to be a step or 2 ahead of them and I havnt seen it. 

2 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

It’s either Shaw sucks as the PP coach or the guys aren’t quite good enough to pull off what he’s trying to do or a little of both. It feels like most of the year this team has been on the same step as everyone else and not a step a head like we’re used to seeing. And it hurts even more now that Jones isn’t playing. On the PP it feels like once we get the puck the opposing team is right on us, we need to be a step or 2 ahead of them and I havnt seen it. 

Likely a little of both. They aren't scoring 5x5 either.  Nine periods without a goal by a forward. 

24 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

When Shaw ran PP in the NHL he had success......http://www.wday.com/sports/hockey/3773153-former-nhl-coach-matt-shaw-rounds-out-und-mens-hockey-staff

41 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

What’s more concerning to me is that since they got swept by Duluth they have put a ton of focus on special teams, and after the extra week off, this is the result?  It’s bad enough going 0-6 on the power play, but giving up a short handed goal to boot was the killer.  The thing I am most concerned about is the culture that they always preach seems to be lacking.  Undisciplined penalties by “leaders”, and lack of effort and backchecking have crept in.  The old phrase that the freshmen aren’t freshmen anymore after Christmas is backwards this year, except Kiersted. Some played well before Christmas and have been MIA since.  Since Mismash didn’t make the World Junior, he hasn’t been noticeable.  It’s almost like a “woe is me” attitude, which kind of mimics when they get behind and aren’t fighting back like they should and take frustration undisciplined penalties instead.  As Barney Fife would say, “Nip it in the Bud”,  because you don’t want to have new classes coming in that see this as acceptable because culture truly is important to the consistent success we have had.  See a program like Minnesota during their down years as perfect example how you can have talent but if a culture to go with it isn’t there you can struggle.

Just getting around to read Brad's comments from Friday's game.

It’s in my game story but the stat probably bears some repeating: It has been nine periods since a forward has scored a goal. The defensemen have done more than their share of providing offense, but a lot of forwards are on lengthy droughts right now. Seven forwards have goal droughts that are seven-plus games right now (Joel Janatuinen, Ludvig Hoff, Dixon Bowen, Collin Adams, Zach Yon, Johnny Simonson, Jordan Kawaguchi) as UND ranks dead last in the NCHC in scoring offense and seventh in power play percentage.

I think that nugget of information really sums up this squad right now. 

For a program with 8 banners hanging in the rafters, and a reputation as a Duke or UNC-like program for hockey, North Dakota should Never be offensively challenged.

Programs like Colorado College. Western Michigan, Omaha shouldn't have more true goal scorers than us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

We can always run the table in the playoffs.... or maybe not.

I always think of that DU team that beat us in Colorado Springs in that regional final (2004?). I remember UND just crushing them in the regular season (like 8-2, 6-2 type games). Then a 1-0 regional final and they run the NCAA table and then repeat again the next year. 

This UND team has shown potential to play with anybody. They just can’t do it consistently so having it happen 4 games in a row seems hard to imagine. Plus they need to make the darn tourney first. 

37 minutes ago, NoDak Fan said:

Just getting around to read Brad's comments from Friday's game.

It’s in my game story but the stat probably bears some repeating: It has been nine periods since a forward has scored a goal. The defensemen have done more than their share of providing offense, but a lot of forwards are on lengthy droughts right now. Seven forwards have goal droughts that are seven-plus games right now (Joel Janatuinen, Ludvig Hoff, Dixon Bowen, Collin Adams, Zach Yon, Johnny Simonson, Jordan Kawaguchi) as UND ranks dead last in the NCHC in scoring offense and seventh in power play percentage.

I think that nugget of information really sums up this squad right now. 

For a program with 8 banners hanging in the rafters, and a reputation as a Duke or UNC-like program for hockey, North Dakota should Never be offensively challenged.

Programs like Colorado College. Western Michigan, Omaha shouldn't have more true goal scorers than us.

Agree 100% - This should never happen.  We have horrible puck skills.  Watch the PP - we fight the puck, tee it up constantly, take forever to pass, and generally give it away before we can get a shot off.  Same thing with breakouts.  Add in giving up a goal within a minute of scoring time and time again and this makes this team brutal to watch.