SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. CC Tigers - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

On 2/10/2018 at 12:21 AM, MafiaMan said:

I don't understand all the complaining...I was told that 1 national championship sprinkled in with 6 or 7 years of mediocrity was just fine.

I'm still laughing about this two days later and how there are some people that are now very conflicted (or at least should be).

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'm still laughing about this two days later and how there is some people that are now very conflicted (or at least should be).

Yeah and we haven't even hit mediocrity yet. We could still host the first round of the conference tournament. We still have a legitimate shot of making the national tournament without having to win an auto-bid, and I can no longer recall the last time we were not in the top 1/3 of the national rankings. What the reality is this fan base is utterly spoiled at every level. Some of us old timers remember the lean years and appreciate games that matter in February and March.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'm still laughing about this two days later and how there is some people that are now very conflicted (or at least should be).

Very few people actually said this. I never said it (you can go research it if you want). My position was (and still is) that it is a false choice (national title vs. consistent success). The two are not mutually exclusive. This is not a zero-sum game. I definitely am concerned about the past two years, but I am also not convinced we are headed to another 1991-94 situation either.

36 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Very few people actually said this. I never said it (you can go research it if you want). My position was (and still is) that it is a false choice (national title vs. consistent success). The two are not mutually exclusive. This is not a zero-sum game. 

0HpUQes.gif

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

If Brad Berry never wins another Frozen Four game in his entire UND coaching career, he will have tied the number of Frozen Four wins Dave Hakstol had his last ten years coaching at UND.

And if Brad Berry doesn't make another Frozen Four for the next 4-6 seasons, will you still point out his 1.000 winning percentage and 2-0 all-time record in Frozen Fours or be calling for his head?  Just curious...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I guess, I am confused... After winning an NCAA title, many fans wanted to erect a statue of Brad Berry in front of the Ralph. Now, I am reading comments that he can't coach. Isn't a good recruiter. Can't evaluate talent (even though he's was the head recruiter for Hak). Berry was also an assistant coach in the best league in hockey. Now all of a sudden, Berry doesn't have the ability to coach.

Let's not forget, UND is playing in a conference that plucked the best teams minus the B1G and Notre Dame. And then add the two former CCHA schools. No one is going to run away and hide with that conference schedule. There's a reason the two former CCHA schools have struggled in the NCHC. Why do you think the league's PWR are so high? We're not playing in the WCHA anymore where half of your schedule is made up of teams that are basically a roll over and win game.

A few years back. This was uttered at a press conference.

“I think that coming into the year, one of the things we talked quietly about in our coaches room is that a team could finish two or three games over .500 and win this league,” Former head coach Dave Hakstol said. “I have no idea how it’s going to turn out 10 games from now, but that could be the case. It’s pretty tight (conference race).”

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

And if Brad Berry doesn't make another Frozen Four for the next 4-6 seasons, will you still point out his 1.000 winning percentage and 2-0 all-time record in Frozen Fours or be calling for his head?  Just curious...

I would probably have to evaluate each season and see how far they go, but I would probably say it looks like Berry peaked his first year at UND just like Hakstol.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I would probably have to evaluate each season and see how far they go, but I would probably say it looks like Berry peaked his first year at UND just like Hakstol.

OIC, so under Hakstol, it's evaluate the team based on national titles only, but under Berry, we'll evaluate the team based on the season as a whole.

I'll say this:  If Denver, St Cloud, UMD, or (heaven forbid) Minnesota happens to win an NCAA title in the next five years and North Dakota doesn't make another Frozen Four in that time, this place will forget all about that 2016 title.     

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

OIC, so under Hakstol, it's evaluate the team based on national titles only, but under Berry, we'll evaluate the team based on the season as a whole.

If Berry leads UND for the next decade and we know he will have zero Frozen Four wins (which of course means zero Nattys), I say kick him to the curb now. :xmas:

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

If Berry leads UND for the next decade and we know he will have zero Frozen Four wins (which of course means zero Nattys), I say kick him to the curb now. :xmas:

Well, I'm no predictor of the future, but maybe we should give the head coaching job to Nick Foles and see what happens...

Just now, MafiaMan said:

Well, I'm no predictor of the future, but maybe we should give the head coaching job to Nick Foles and see what happens...

That would be a good plan B.

First I would go with ....Thome ------player/coach

They play hard for him now when he's just a goalie.....can't imagine the effort if he was also the coach.

Plus they wouldn't be able to pay him so it would save UND a pile of money.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What is that supposed to mean? I know some people on here said they would accept years of mediocrity for one NCAA title, but I am sure I never did.

I didn't point you out specifically (but you're awfully defensive about it) and don't have time to re-wind the thread, but PLENTY of people mentioned UMD in particular and how they would be more than OK with down-seasons if it meant an NCAA championship once every 7-10 years.  

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Well of course he peaked his first year...it's hard to get higher than #1...hopefully he can peak again!

13 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I didn't point you out specifically (but you're awfully defensive about it) and don't have time to re-wind the thread, but PLENTY of people mentioned UMD in particular and how they would be more than OK with down-seasons if it meant an NCAA championship once every 7-10 years.  

I just wanted to set the record straight for everyone who thinks I was one of those people. Nothing personal.

And you are correct, there were people saying that. And I disagree with that premise as well.

43 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I'll say this:  If Denver, St Cloud, UMD, or (heaven forbid) Minnesota happens to win an NCAA title in the next five years and North Dakota doesn't make another Frozen Four in that time, this place will forget all about that 2016 title.    

Agreed.

57 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

We won in 2016?!?;)