SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

< looking to the sky and pondering >

I wonder what would've happened if "no nickname" had been voted on and won, but with the firm, and enforced, caveat that the old logo/nickname gear was deemed offensive and could not be worn at any UND events. Basically, if "no nickname" happened and was strictly enforced (no defaulting back allowed). 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

< looking to the sky and pondering >

I wonder what would've happened if "no nickname" had been voted on and won, but with the firm, and enforced, caveat that the old logo/nickname gear was deemed offensive and could not be worn at any UND events. Basically, if "no nickname" happened and was strictly enforced (no defaulting back allowed). 

Attendance would've dropped dramatically.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

But for right now, the name is what it is, and the logo is what it is for now.  

I am going to keep asking for something original;  it will have to be the logo.  It will probably take 10 years, so be it. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Because they are undermining the efforts UND is making to finally move forward and quit wasting time and resources on a fight that was lost a decade ago?

What resources are being wasted by the University to stop "Sioux Forever"?

43 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

One group serves themselves.  One group serves the University of North Dakota.

"Serves the University of North Dakota".... ok lol. THIS is a big part of why "Sioux Forever" still exists. It comes off as so pretentious.

Again.... none of this will stop until BOTH SIDE stop complaining about the other.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

But why? I'm told the vast majority wanted "no nickname". 

J6Jvv_s-200x150.gif

But as a member of the "move on" crew who wears clothing with the Sioux logo, interlocking ND, and F'N Hawk, even I would've been upset if they tried to go clothing police on fans at games.

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

"Serves the University of North Dakota".... ok lol. THIS is a big part of why "Sioux Forever" still exists. It comes off as so pretentious.

Again.... none of this will stop until BOTH SIDE stop complaining about the other.

As lame and unoriginal the #siouxforever crowd things Fighting Hawks is, from fans of other fanbases...the Siouxforever fanbase is by far way worse.   Other fanbases understand that we lost our great nickname and have a little sympathy for us knowing that we had to settle for a less than desired (to but it nicely) nickname and logo.  But they look at the fans that are clinging to the old Sioux name as pathetic.  I am not just assuming this.  I have heard it from Bison fans, Jacks fans, and plenty of Gopher fans.  The reason why we complain about the #siouxforever crowd is because everyone else agrees with us that it is pathetic.  Who is giving our fanbase a bad name?  The ones that are supporting the newFighting Hawks name and logo, or the ones still clinging to a retired logo?

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

As lame and unoriginal the #siouxforever crowd things Fighting Hawks is, from fans of other fanbases...the Siouxforever fanbase is by far way worse.   Other fanbases understand that we lost our great nickname and have a little sympathy for us knowing that we had to settle for a less than desired (to but it nicely) nickname and logo.  But they look at the fans that are clinging to the old Sioux name as pathetic.  I am not just assuming this.  I have heard it from Bison fans, Jacks fans, and plenty of Gopher fans.  The reason why we complain about the #siouxforever crowd is because everyone else agrees with us that it is pathetic.  Who is giving our fanbase a bad name?  The ones that are supporting the newFighting Hawks name and logo, or the ones still clinging to a retired logo?

This is all fine. Honestly, I won't even argue against it. I just don't really care what other fanbases think about us... ESPECIALLY coming from our biggest rivals. They never liked us and this doesn't change that. Our STERLING reputation has so clearly been sullied by this dastardly debate :silly:

I don't buy for once second that it's giving us a bad name to the people its most relevant to -- recruits and people that are coming to UND to go to school. They are coming here regardless of this silly little debate. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This is all fine. Honestly, I won't even argue against it. I just don't really care what other fanbases think about us... ESPECIALLY coming from our biggest rivals. They never liked us and this doesn't change that.

I don't buy for once second that it's giving us a bad name to the people its most relevant to -- recruits and people that are coming to UND to go to school. They are coming here regardless of this silly little debate. 

You have one recruit tweet #FightingSioux and you have one recruit tweet Go Fighting Hawks. Can you guess what sport goes with each tweet?

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This is all fine. Honestly, I won't even argue against it. I just don't really care what other fanbases think about us... ESPECIALLY coming from our biggest rivals. They never liked us and this doesn't change that. Our STERLING reputation has so clearly been sullied by this dastardly debate :silly:

There is no debate.  UND is not the Fighting Sioux anymore.  We are the Fighting Hawks.  Case closed.  Those that can't accept that are wrong.  If you want to stick to your guns and never accept the Fighting Hawks nickname, that's your problem.  But don't come down on those that do accept it and have rightly moved on.  

• Downvote 1

I dont know why people just cant move on. The logo and name is never coming back ever. You don't have to support it or buy shirts, but bringing up Sioux in every UND post is just dumb. What is even the point,  complaining will change nothing? Life is to short to be angry about things that cant be changed. Worry about other stuff instead. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

You have one recruit tweet #FightingSioux and you have one recruit tweet Go Fighting Hawks. Can you guess what sport goes with each tweet?

Baseball and wrestling?

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, John W. said:

The healing process would be further advanced if this 'site' would change it's name!!!!!

For the sake of your health, you should not continue to subject yourself to this nonsense of a name and just move on! I want you to feel good about yourself, John!

44 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

And this matters why? Both recruits are coming to UND, right?

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It was worded poorly on my part, but UND is trying to move forward and people are undermining that. UND should be done wasting time and resources on the Fighting Sioux nickname, however it does appear that they are actually still spending time on the Sioux Forever people because I have seen multiple responses where a UND official account has had to correct a flat out lie on social media by pointing them to very accessible correct information because apparently facts don't matter when you're still fighting a battle that was lost over a decade ago. They also have to overcome the constant negativity coming out of that group, which takes more resources than if people would accept reality and move on or at least accept reality and quit with the negativity towards the University they support because they don't agree with a new nickname and logo.

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

And this is why this debate continues.... keep telling someone they are wrong and how they should respond, you're going to continue to get blow back, over and over and over.

Want to solve this problem? Just wear your FH clothes/hat/etc. and stop pointing fingers. You're going to get what you want, but your expectation is on YOUR timeline and that's just not going to happen.

I really want to give 1000 likes to this post but I can’t. How about the people that don’t like the “SiouxForever crowd” JUST GET OVER IT AND IGNORE IT! You accepted the name then great, you want a cookie and puppy so it helps you forget about that bully SiouxForever crowd? To bad, life isn’t fair and the SiouxForever crowd isn’t going away anytime soon!!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1