SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

17 minutes ago, tnt said:

I agree.   The biggest problem I had with the whole thing was that I was certain that the writer that told us our nickname was going to be a bird or a color or combination of the two well ahead of this whole process was going to be wrong based on the criteria set.  Turns out he called it perfectly because they totally ignored that criteria. 

Four of the five choice for stakeholders had to choose from wasn't a bird or color. Quit shifting the blame off the group that is the one that actually picked the nickname.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Four of the five choice for stakeholders had to choose from wasn't a bird or color. Quit shifting the blame off the group that is the one that actually picked the nickname.

So you thought the 5 names given met the criteria?  

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Does it really matter??? on and on  and on.

Fighting Hawks with logo is here for the near future.

The Mascot is here for the near future, the Z version won the vote.

What will the name of the Mascot be?

10 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

What nameplay will they use? Something with UND, Hawks or just a random name like Ralph. ;)

14 minutes ago, tnt said:

So you thought the 5 names given met the criteria?  

Close enough, though I've made it clear I thought they eliminated a handful of nicknames I feel would have been better options for reasons I disagreed with. In reality, the criteria was a pipe dream for plenty of reasons. There is no all-encompassing, magic nickname out there that no one has thought of, checks every box and someone isn't going to find something wrong and/or offensive with. Every single individual has a different opinion on what is required to meet those requirements. What one person feels is unique and promotes a sense of strength, another thinks the exact opposite. People have different perspectives, which is why a large committee wasn't going to come up with a handful of choices everyone agrees with or thought fit the criteria. That being said, they had no choice but to use a big committee because people complain so much that their voice wasn't heard or their group wasn't represented. We've already seen those complaints twice since then (logo and now the mascot choice).

My overall point is that people keep blaming the committee because UND ended up with the most generic nickname of the bunch. They shoulder a bit of the blame for not eliminating it, however the true blame is on the stakeholders who twice voted it as their top choice. That group was well aware of the criteria as well, yet Fighting Hawks managed to come out on top in both rounds of voting.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Per UND Facebook page:

"During the Fall 2018 semester, a student led committee will discuss the names submitted by students.  The final name will be selected by a vote of the student body."

They have a link where you can submit name ideas as well.

Yeah!!! More committees and voting!!!

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Close enough, though I've made it clear I thought they eliminated a handful of nicknames I feel would have been better options for reasons I disagreed with. In reality, the criteria was a pipe dream for plenty of reasons. There is no all-encompassing, magic nickname out there that no one has thought of, checks every box and someone isn't going to find something wrong and/or offensive with. Every single individual has a different opinion on what is required to meet those requirements. What one person feels is unique and promotes a sense of strength, another thinks the exact opposite. People have different perspectives, which is why a large committee wasn't going to come up with a handful of choices everyone agrees with or thought fit the criteria. That being said, they had no choice but to use a big committee because people complain so much that their voice wasn't heard or their group wasn't represented. We've already seen those complaints twice since then (logo and now the mascot choice).

My overall point is that people keep blaming the committee because UND ended up with the most generic nickname of the bunch. They shoulder a bit of the blame for not eliminating it, however the true blame is on the stakeholders who twice voted it as their top choice. That group was well aware of the criteria as well, yet Fighting Hawks managed to come out on top in both rounds of voting.

I hear you, but it still baffles me how someone couldn't have pointed out the prediction that our name would end up a color or bird, and not rule that out as being generic from the outset. 

14 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Let's just give the masses what they want and call it Sue.  Could aid acceptance.

Has their been anything more predictable in this whole saga than the showdown between allowing this to happen and the backlash if/when they don't allow it?

25 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Per UND Facebook page:

"During the Fall 2018 semester, a student led committee will discuss the names submitted by students.  The final name will be selected by a vote of the student body."

And the drama continues. 

We went how many years without a logo name, and then how long without a logo?

Now we have the Mascot without a name till sometime next semester. The process will start all over again, but this time just for the name, imagine that!

Why not call him Mascot Z (being the Z won) till a permanent name is chosen.

9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

One question already raised is will UND integrate the mascot into a potential alternate logo?  (I apologize for the crappy editing :))

head1.jpg

head2.jpg

Hopefully not, because that doesn't look like a Hawk. Looks like a cardinal or something

30 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Per UND Facebook page:

More voting because people want their voice heard, the only time it wasn’t heard was the logo and look how that turned out. If Kennedy picked a mascot and a name on his own, people would rake him over the coals like Schafer.

5 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

And the drama continues. 

We went how many years without a logo name, and then how long without a logo?

Now we have the Mascot without a name till sometime next semester. The process will start all over again, but this time just for the name, imagine that!

Why not call him Mascot Z (being the Z won) till a permanent name is chosen.

My guess is they do the voting for the name right after school starts and the will unveil the newly named Fighting Hawk mascot at Hall of Fame/Potato Bowl/Homecoming football game! 

3 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

http://tonsoffacts.com/28-fun-weird-facts-hawks/

Based on these facts and pictures, the beaks and head tufts are all wrong. Nit surprised, accuracy is not our strength.

Although apparently a group of Hawks is called a kettle. Someone figure out a way to work that in.

Something something pot calling the kettle black.....

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

How bout Tommy Hawk to appease the Siouxforever faithful?!  I realize it is the Chicago Blackhawks mascot name, but hey we stole their logo back in the day as well as their goal song.  Why stop now!!

I like this and think it could actually happen.

Tommy Hawk. That's great, and a Bizon slayer at that. 

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

How bout Tommy Hawk to appease the Siouxforever faithful?!  I realize it is the Chicago Blackhawks mascot name, but hey we stole their logo back in the day as well as their goal song.  Why stop now!!

This is much more clever and acceptable than Sue. 

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Next ?s

When does the Mascot Z uniform get ordered? Show up on campus? Will there be multiple shirts/sweaters.

Will Sioux Shop sell head dresses and t-shirts?

Will a student be used to dress up as the mascot, will they have backup students? or hire a person?

What games will Mascot Z be present at?

1.  They said it will be on campus at games next fall.  Like I said in a previous post, I think they will reveal it at the Hopecoming football game after the students vote on a name.

2.  Head dresses?  ummm....huh?  Probably will be mascot merchandise to buy.  Looking forward to buting my F'n Hawks head cover!!

3.  It will be a student.  That is the norm around the country.  Most of the time the mascot gets a scholorship due to the number of games/events they go to.  Might actually be more than 1 mascot to accommodate multiple events and games.

4.  The mascot should be at as many UND sporting events as possible.  But expect the main ones (Football, M & W basketball, and yes.....HOCKEY!!!)

• Upvote 1