SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

It was worded poorly on my part, but UND is trying to move forward and people are undermining that. UND should be done wasting time and resources on the Fighting Sioux nickname, however it does appear that they are actually still spending time on the Sioux Forever people because I have seen multiple responses where a UND official account has had to correct a flat out lie on social media by pointing them to very accessible correct information because apparently facts don't matter when you're still fighting a battle that was lost over a decade ago. They also have to overcome the constant negativity coming out of that group, which takes more resources than if people would accept reality and move on or at least accept reality and quit with the negativity towards the University they support because they don't agree with a new nickname and logo.

Ok, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I don't disagree with what you're saying, by the way. I just do not believe constantly telling people they are wrong or that they should "hurry up and get over it" is going to help their transition to accepting it. It's just not going to do it. You do your thing and let them figure it out. That time will come.

From 2013.  Some good points made here.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/12/10/most-colleges-adjust-moving-away-native-american-mascots

So is the problem the name and logo that was selected?  Is that why people can't accept the change?  Or was any new nickname adopted by UND destined to be ridiculed and met with the same opposition.

Wondering why other fanbases that went through the same thing UND did are having more success accepting their new nickname and why it is not the same here.

26 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Ok, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I don't disagree with what you're saying, by the way. I just do not believe constantly telling people they are wrong or that they should "hurry up and get over it" is going to help their transition to accepting it. It's just not going to do it. You do your thing and let them figure it out. That time will come.

That's a fine position to have, but my point is they are doing their thing in a way that is detrimental to UND, the University they supposed support (or I guess the University that sponsors the hockey team they support ;)). If they weren't, I wouldn't care. The fact that this whole disaster has been going on for over a decade and finally appeared have a resolution and UND was going to be able to put it in the past, move on and focus on promoting itself instead of having to battle it's own supporters, yet here we are.

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/12/10/most-colleges-adjust-moving-away-native-american-mascots

So is the problem the name and logo that was selected?  Is that why people can't accept the change?  Or was any new nickname adopted by UND destined to be ridiculed and met with the same opposition.

Wondering why other fanbases that went through the same thing UND did are having more success accepting their new nickname and why it is not the same here.

We've been through this so many times... Contentious battle with the NCAA where Sioux fans were tossed back and forth thinking we had won and ultimately lost, awful process of picking a new name, generic final pick when the criteria stated the need for uniqueness, boring logo. Am I missing any? :) That's why. Our process seems to have been different than most schools who have gone through the same thing. Most didn't fight the NCAA.

EDIT: Sorry, I honestly didn't mean that first sentence to be so prickish sounding haha. 

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

That's a fine position to have, but my point is they are doing their thing in a way that is detrimental to UND, the University they supposed support (or I guess the University that sponsors the hockey team they support ;)). If they weren't, I wouldn't care. The fact that this whole disaster has been going on for over a decade and finally appeared have a resolution and UND was going to be able to put it in the past, move on and focus on promoting itself instead of having to battle it's own supporters, yet here we are.

Seats are still full (attendance may be dropping, but it's dropping in all sports in all of the NCAA -- not connect to this debate in any provable fashion), recruits are still coming, enrollments are still happening.... I. DO. NOT. UNDERSTAND. THE. PROBLEM. 

Sioux Forever people are still buying tickets. Still supporting UND, still buying North Dakota branded gear.

So......getting back to the mascot.  Rickabaugh Graphics, who is designing the mascot, has done mascots for other scools like Ohio St, Iowa, and UCF to name a few.  You can check out their portfolio:

https://www.rickabaughgraphics.com/portfolio

One of their clients is the Marquette Golden Eagles.  Possibly a sneak peak as to what a real life Fighting Hakws mascot will look like.  Looking at the picture below, looks like the arms/wings that the Golden Eagle has in the pic are similar to what was proposed for our mascot.  Perhaps a sneak peak of the fighting Hakws mascot.

mascot.jpg

58 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

There it is again..."hurry up..".   It's been 6 years.  Hope their transition is still on track.  :)

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hahaha for many it's apparently more than a 6 year process! For others, it seems to be quicker. I'm happy that you've moved on.

I am a Hawk lovin mofo from way back.  Or something like that.  

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

You have one recruit tweet #FightingSioux and you have one recruit tweet Go Fighting Hawks. Can you guess what sport goes with each tweet?

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Baseball and wrestling?

4 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Swimming and diving?

Men's hockey and women's hockey?

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Men's hockey and women's hockey?

Funny how recruits from football has accepted the new name but recruits for hockey have to bow down to the Sioux forever hockey fans. He can tweet Fighting Sioux, call it Fighting Sioux hockey all he wants but if they win anything that requires a banner being hung, it will be a Hawk on that banner not a Sioux logo. That’s over, no more Sioux logos will be hung in that or any venue on campus. That’s called reality.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

No other school that changed their name plays in an arena with the old logo all over the place so of course they got over it. Imagine if the NCAA sandblasted all the Sioux logos off the REA, and replaced it with Hawk logos like the Alerus and IPF, I think that divison in the fanbase would be less.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

No other school that changed their name plays in an arena with the old logo all over the place so of course they got over it. Imagine if the NCAA sandblasted all the Sioux logos off the REA, and replaced it with Hawk logos like the Alerus and IPF, I think that divison in the fanbase would be less.

10 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Funny how recruits from football has accepted the new name but recruits for hockey have to bow down to the Sioux forever hockey fans. He can tweet Fighting Sioux, call it Fighting Sioux hockey all he wants but if they win anything that requires a banner being hung, it will be a Hawk on that banner not a Sioux logo. That’s over, no more Sioux logos will be hung in that or any venue on campus. That’s called reality.

The fact you think a real banner is going to be hung in any other facility on campus is as laughable as your angry dove logo.

#LetTheJealousyAndHateFlowThroughYou

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The fact you think a real banner is going to be hung in any other facility on campus is as laughable as your angry dove logo.

Real banner??

15 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

What do you mean "real banner"?

17 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

And the true feeling of the “hockey only”, #siouxforever fan base finally come out. No other sport at UND matters. No other championship is even close to anything the hockey team accomplishes. It is why they didn’t care about the threats by the NCAA threatening sanctions of not being able to host a playoff game because they it wouldn’t affect the hockey program. It’s sad that there are UND “fans” that think this way. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

homer-quote.jpg

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

And the true feeling of the “hockey only”, #siouxforever fan base finally come out. No other sport at UND matters. No other championship is even close to anything the hockey team accomplishes. It is why they didn’t care about the threats by the NCAA threatening sanctions of not being able to host a playoff game because they it wouldn’t affect the hockey program. It’s sad that there are UND “fans” that think this way. 

Indeed this is sad. 

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

"Real banner"? C'mon, man. This isn't helping.

5 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Wow....just wow! So the banners at the Alerus, and the Betty are fake but only the ones at the Ralph is real. Sad!