SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Drinking on a Monday night or just throwing a tantrum? 

Just the facts man, facts don't lie. 

.....little from column A never hurt either. A growler of local brew hits the spot after a night of yard work.

20 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Gawd are you a f'n idiot.  Footyball?  Spoken like a true hockey fan.

So where the hockey hate from, big goal scorer steal your girl back in the day?  Pushed around a bit by an athlete where you?

It is tough when the facts and statistics prove your points to be a fresh as a breeze downwind of Simplot. 

I am beginning to see your logic is as mediocre as the precious new logo, and most assuredly, just as respected.

(btw, that's actually gone down from the 3% in the last hour..... Ouch.)

7 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

I keep hearing a lot if what ifs, buts, if only...

If only I had asked Mary to the prom back in high school.  If only I had scored that touchdown in the big game in 82...

Sioux forever people and their arguments remind me of the Hillary supporters who say Trump is not their president.  "Hawks is NOT my logo!" Haha.  *Disclaimer: not a political post

D'okay

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I saw 

I saw at one time on the page today, of 226 comments, 7 were pro hawks or at least ambivalent.  That's 3 percent of comments positive, and there is no segregated "hockey" only conspiracy on the general Facebook or social media audience, so don't even try to spew anymore of your "petulent" bullshyt.

It doesn't matter if its a university or a local business or a big corporation.  IF you have a 3% approval for a campaign it is an unimaginable FAILURE.

So go take your doucheLaRue attitude and hang out with your free hawk towels and trash bin bound t-shirts giveaways and be embarrassed for the 97% of people who find this asinine. 

Have a great day, enjoy yourself, but remember for every one Hawkzi you know or screen name you log in with there are 9.7 people who do not feel the same as you. May want to consider that before you go calling the ultra majority a bunch of "petulant babies".... 

Maybe even try and win yourself that $5000 scholarship they have to try and bribe students with to show up at the footyball  games, take some marketing classes and maybe you too can understand why this is a train wreck.

I'm going to sit back and laugh, cry a little, and just be disgusted really,  at the pathetic PR & marketing campaign that birthed this travesty of an experience, Name, Logo, Mascot and all.

Hopefully I'll get it on video when as one commenter stated he was going to " thunderpunch that mascot in the throat if it comes near me"  ...  they still let you mail in tapes to America's Funniest Home Videos?

I didn’t know that everyone who commented was the voting pool. I was on there but didn’t comment as I’m sure many others didn’t as not to start a bickering war which always happens and ends up in personal attacks and blocking people, so I think your percentage is a little off. But whatever floats your boat.

Waaa...waa...."Fighting Susie" name will pass in time....just like GFC's "Redskins Forever" signs, chants and shirts....just selfish bigots who lost their 'cool logo'....they're thinking only of themselves and not about respecting a 'people or culture'...Most have never talked to a Native American person or visited a 'Rez'...that may open their eyes about 'respect'....besides respect is in the eyes of the 'receiver' and not the 'giver'...

Fighting Susie's may be masking some hidden personal 'issue'....there are more important things of which to concern one's time...take a breath and chill!!!

• Downvote 7

7 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I saw 

I saw at one time on the page today, of 226 comments, 7 were pro hawks or at least ambivalent.  That's 3 percent of comments positive, and there is no segregated "hockey" only conspiracy on the general Facebook or social media audience, so don't even try to spew anymore of your "petulent" bullshyt.

It doesn't matter if its a university or a local business or a big corporation.  IF you have a 3% approval for a campaign it is an unimaginable FAILURE.

So go take your doucheLaRue attitude and hang out with your free hawk towels and trash bin bound t-shirts giveaways and be embarrassed for the 97% of people who find this asinine. 

Have a great day, enjoy yourself, but remember for every one Hawkzi you know or screen name you log in with there are 9.7 people who do not feel the same as you. May want to consider that before you go calling the ultra majority a bunch of "petulant babies".... 

Maybe even try and win yourself that $5000 scholarship they have to try and bribe students with to show up at the footyball  games, take some marketing classes and maybe you too can understand why this is a train wreck.

I'm going to sit back and laugh, cry a little, and just be disgusted really,  at the pathetic PR & marketing campaign that birthed this travesty of an experience, Name, Logo, Mascot and all.

Hopefully I'll get it on video when as one commenter stated he was going to " thunderpunch that mascot in the throat if it comes near me"  ...  they still let you mail in tapes to America's Funniest Home Videos?

I guess some of us move through the stages (Kubler-Ross) more quickly than others. Or to take the newer (Bonanno) view, some stay stuck in chronic grief. 

Personally, I'm experiencing what Bonanno terms 'resilience', described by: “it is not that they don't grieve, or that they didn't care; far from it. Rather, they are able to put the pain aside when they need to and they continue to meet the demands of their life. They work, they take care of loved ones. They even laugh and experience moments of joy. They accept the loss, readjust their sense of what is, and move on.

I sincerely hope you find a way to work through this. If you don't it's going to continue to wear on you and affect daily life for you. And that's not life. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

It will be really funny seeing that guy hauled off in handcuffs for assault, banned from the arena, plus seeing little Johnny in tears because some asshat thunder punched his new friend. Yep, shows how mature some people are, or in this case aren’t.

One thing that I guess people forget when making comments about the whole nickname debate is that UND didn't want to drop the Fighting Sioux nickname.  But looking at peoples comments online, you see a lot of "UND caved to the NCAA" and "UND dumped the Sioux name", etc.  UND fought harder than any other school that was on the "hostile and abusive " list from 2005.  They spent over a million dollars in a lawsuit suing the NCAA.  And not just UND, but the overwhelming majority of fans initially supported keeping the name after the NCAA list of schools came out.  Practically everyone, students, fans, UND administration, etc was in favor of keeping the name.  I guess its too much to ask for people to educate themselves on a topic before commenting on it, but hey its social media.  that doesn't exist there.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

One thing that I guess people forget when making comments about the whole nickname debate is that UND didn't want to drop the Fighting Sioux nickname.  But looking at peoples comments online, you see a lot of "UND caved to the NCAA" and "UND dumped the Sioux name", etc.  UND fought harder than any other school that was on the "hostile and abusive " list from 2005.  They spent over a million dollars in a lawsuit suing the NCAA.  And not just UND, but the overwhelming majority of fans initially supported keeping the name after the NCAA list of schools came out.  Practically everyone, students, fans, UND administration, etc was in favor of keeping the name.  I guess its too much to ask for people to educate themselves on a topic before commenting on it, but hey its social media.  that doesn't exist there.

I find this so funny. Is it just a general lack of wanting to find the information? Are people just stuck on their talking points and that's all they need? There are so many people who argue about things that they have ZERO knowledge about. Insanity!

12 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I've stayed off of this thread and didn't know until yesterday that there was actually a vote ready to take place. So here is my opinion on getting a mascot:

• If you think mascots are dumb, then ignore them at the game.
  • I hope this creates potential for a secondary logo for marketing purposes. The US Postal Service logo has grown on me. I still like my Sioux gear, but I also like my hawk gear. As long as I can find both, I will purchase both.
  • Mascots are not for everyone, but kids love them. At the UND/Duluth game at the X, my 3 year old though the skating Bulldog was awesome. Like I said, kids like mascots.
  • A mascot will in no way hurt the athletics department or the team. Not saying it will do wonders or help, but what is the harm?
  • Overall, this seems like a pretty petty thing for anyone to be too critical about. No I don't want a terrible goofy mascot, but take what you get, and if the feedback is horrible, then maybe it will change in a few years.

Nothing, they are just dumb :D lol. I'll ignore it, but if that silly thing gets in my eye line during a play, his head will be removed haha.

18 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Other than at hockey games, we'll have to agree to disagree. For how much everyone keeps repeating how no one will accept it, I've been surprised at the amount of FH gear that I've seen in public and at community events. Parents are even dressing their kids in it!!

Also, I'd like to know where all this free stuff is handed out at so I can get some as well. Other than Junior Champions Club (which has always given out free shirts and paid for by a sponsor business), I can't think of any great examples of mass amounts of free gear being given out or at least anything outside what was previously done.

Ask and you shall receive my friend!!

stuff.jpg

• Upvote 1

My only question: Who paid?

My guess is there's a "sponsor logo" on each of those giveaways. And the sponsor picks up the bill for the trinkets. 

My guess as to the Saturday sponsor? Buffalo Wild Wings. (That wasn't too tough of a guess. ;) )  

13 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The accept and move on (approval rate) is higher than 3% but is nowhere near 50%.  Until we have something original (better logo) or until us baby boomers die off, the FH supporters are in the minority.  I ignore name and logo because I agree with F4Sioux that FH is a total failure.

9 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

The accept and move on (approval rate) is higher than 3% but is nowhere near 50%.  Until we have something original (better logo) or until us baby boomers die off, the FH supporters are in the minority.  I ignore name and logo because I agree with F4Sioux that FH is a total failure.

I think most of us agree that the nickname and logo could have been a lot better.  You and others dexcribe it as a "failure".  Ok   that's fine.  But why constantly complain about it?  What do you think is going to happen?  Do you think that they are going to start the process over with a new name and logo?  Absolutely not!!  There may be a change of the logo down the road.  That happens all the time.  But for right now, the name is what it is, and the logo is what it is for now.  

I feel like the people that vehemently oppose anything Fighting Hawks feel like they are in the right and are the true fans and aren't letting the "PC police tell them what to do."  The thing is that fight is over.  Accepting the new logo doesn't make you less of a Sioux fan.  It doesn't require you to burn  all your Sioux merchandise.  For those of us who have accepted the Fighting Hawks name, all we want you to do is at the very least end the ripping on the name and logo and what a horrible process the whole thing was.  Booing the name, ridiculing publicly on social media, absolutely refusing to acknowledge the fighting Hawks name in any capacity as the nickname for UND, etc is not helping at all, and IMO, diving the fanbase.  Some ask who is responsible?  Just look at the comments Fighting Hawks supporters make to the #siouxforever crowd and vice versa.   

10 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I think most of us agree that the nickname and logo could have been a lot better.  You and others dexcribe it as a "failure".  Ok   that's fine.  But why constantly complain about it?  What do you think is going to happen?  Do you think that they are going to start the process over with a new name and logo?  Absolutely not!!  There may be a change of the logo down the road.  That happens all the time.  But for right now, the name is what it is, and the logo is what it is for now.  

I feel like the people that vehemently oppose anything Fighting Hawks feel like they are in the right and are the true fans and aren't letting the "PC police tell them what to do."  The thing is that fight is over.  Accepting the new logo doesn't make you less of a Sioux fan.  It doesn't require you to burn  all your Sioux merchandise.  For those of us who have accepted the Fighting Hawks name, all we want you to do is at the very least end the ripping on the name and logo and what a horrible process the whole thing was.  Booing the name, ridiculing publicly on social media, absolutely refusing to acknowledge the fighting Hawks name in any capacity as the nickname for UND, etc is not helping at all, and IMO, diving the fanbase.  Some ask who is responsible?  Just look at the comments Fighting Hawks supporters make to the #siouxforever crowd and vice versa.   

I like the Hawk Mascot as a logo, maybe a secondary logo down the road.

15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I think most of us agree that the nickname and logo could have been a lot better.  You and others dexcribe it as a "failure".  Ok   that's fine.  But why constantly complain about it? 

Why constantly complain that the "Sioux Forever" crowd is complaining? :D

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Why constantly complain that the "Sioux Forever" crowd is complaining? :D

Because they are undermining the efforts UND is making to finally move forward and quit wasting time and resources on a fight that was lost a decade ago?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Beat me to the punch, jdub27. 

Exactamundo. The sooner we unite under one flag and target our efforts against the Goofers to the east, the Bozos down south and the Bunnies and the Prairie Puppies even farther south, the better. Those are the ones to despise, not ourselves. They are the ones with the lame names and mascots, well, because, for the simple reason they're not us.  Time to get right and funnel the hatred in the right direction.  Our division kills us. Our opponents' unity is their strength.  (steps off soapbox :D)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1