SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Denver

AZSIOUX

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I agree it's tough to see UND as the #3 team right now with some of our struggles, but I'm not sure who else can be put ahead of UND.  #4 Notre Dame lost to Sacred Heart and Omaha; #5 Mankato lost to Bowling Green and Northern Michigan; #6 Cornell could make an argument, but that's due mostly to a lack of games played.

No, you're absolutely right. Harvard and Cornell are the only two that come to mind. Other than SCSU and DU, there's not really a huge crop of hot teams. 

So, we're the No. 1 in a bunch of average teams below the top 2, basically haha. 

I love this challenge and can't wait to see where we stand.

3 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Need a very aggressive forecheck.  Force their skilled forwards to have to support the D 200 feet away from our net.  

I think the reason Borgstrom is still in college is to work on the defensive part of his game.  Guy doesn't like to chase the puck in his end at all. 

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I agree it's tough to see UND as the #3 team right now with some of our struggles, but I'm not sure who else can be put ahead of UND.  #4 Notre Dame lost to Sacred Heart and Omaha; #5 Mankato lost to Bowling Green and Northern Michigan; #6 Cornell could make an argument, but that's due mostly to a lack of games played.

This^^    If a team as loaded as Denver has some growing pains through the first month and a half, I think the ability to win while working in a bunch of freshmen bodes well down the road for us. Hopefully our upside continues to grow along with "The Process".  I can't think of many teams we can't beat, but in the same token, we could lose to a lot of teams too if we aren't playing the type of defensive game that gives us the chance to win without needing to light up the scoreboard.   

36 minutes ago, burd said:

This series is just what this team needs now, and whether they win or lose, they will learn a lot about themselves.  So glad UND is in this conference, where they are tested by the best college hockey has to offer and we get to watch it.

Yes.  Only prepares us better for when the games really count in March and April!  Regardless of outcome, this is a key step in our process of getting better every week.  The game, not the win or loss is what matters right now.  That said.  3 points will go a long way.

• Upvote 1

Not a fan of Monty, way too arrogant for my liking. This Denver team is the most talented team in the country, now that doesn't mean that they can't lose or are a lock for the title, but they are very good. I'd be very happy if UND could come out of this weekend as a split. This is definitely the measuring stick to see where UND is at right now.

If Cam is ready to go this weekend, I'd start Thome on Friday / Cam on Saturday. I've been in "checking off boxes" mode with Thome. (1) Road series start (2) Home series start -- what's really left now is seeing the best team in the country and tournament games. If Cam's healthy he won't see the tournament, but would like to see what he can do against Denver for a game. 

I want these two teams to split all season. That way there is no one saying, "tough to beat a team 3 separate times a season"! So I guess if DU beats the Sioux 4 games this season that could be good also! These two will battle at the X twice this year unless one knocks the other out in a regional!

I just want to see the boys play well in all areas.   And where don't, let them fix it moving forward.   Wins are nice, but if hard lessons need to be learned which will help them in the long run, then we will see if they can handle that.   They may be elite college hockey players, and some of them will make a lot of money playing this game, but they are still basically kids, and they need to learn how to learn sometimes, hopefully quicker than I did at that age.      

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

I want these two teams to split all season. That way there is no one saying, "tough to beat a team 3 separate times a season"! So I guess if DU beats the Sioux 4 games this season that could be good also! These two will battle at the X twice this year unless one knocks the other out in a regional!

A matchup in the regional is a likely scenario. Remember the “mid-west” regional is in Allentown, PA this year. So assuming DU gets the overall #1 seed it would be hard not to put them in Sioux Falls unless UND is also a 1 seed or a high 2 seed.

5 minutes ago, TNF said:

And since it is rivalry week do yourself a favor and track down Casey Mitlestadt’s shootout attemp vs Michigan on Saturday. I would post a link but it is buried deep in the Minnesota archives. 

He wasn’t happy at all, threw his stick once he got to the bench according to someone on GPL. 10 goals and no points for Casey.

2 hours ago, burd said:

This series is just what this team needs now, and whether they win or lose, they will learn a lot about themselves.  So glad UND is in this conference, where they are tested by the best college hockey has to offer and we get to watch it.

Love that they have a big test this weekend.  I’m anxious to see how Poolman and Wolanin handle playing against Borgstrom’s line.  They would be my guess as to the duo to handle that group.

3 points-Good weekend

4 points-Really good weekend

5 points-Great weekend

6 points-Fire Monty threads at DU.....:lol: