SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Denver

AZSIOUX

Shamelessly stolen from Schloss: 

Denver is expected to go with a relatively inexperienced defensive corps in junior Blake Hillman (96 games), sophomore Michael Davies (54 games), sophomore Erich Fear (14 games), freshman Ian Mitchell (10 games), freshman Griffin Mendel (10 games) and junior Sean Mostrom (4 games).

That says to me UND is going to look to dump and pressure (make them turn and skate and win pucks along the wall) a very young DU defensive group. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

First time I heard that name in a broadcast I thought the kid's name was "Lukas Savages". I wondered why they kept calling him by first and last name and thought he may have a brother on the roster. 

Nope. He's "Jarid Lukosevicius".

I sure wish Woog was still doing games. I'd listen just to hear ol' Doug call him "Lukas Sid Vicious". :D 

Doug was one of the best guys in the business off the ice too.  I was in Minny for a long time and had many run-ins with Wooger.  One time I tried striking up a conversation with him at Senser's...years ago (announcing not coaching Woog).  We were both watching DU play somebody...I went up to get a beer at the bar...he basically completely ignored me...I went back to my table...at the period break he came over and very apologetically explained that he wasn't trying to be rude, but that the Gophers were playing one of those teams next and he was trying to get a feel for them, their system, and players.  He sat down with me and chatted hockey a bit.  I had a few more run-ins with him where he was always super friendly.  Seemed to remember me.  I had my little boy up at the Ralph for a Gopher-Sioux series a year or so later and we were looking at the history murals...Wooger comes over, shakes my hand, and pats my little boy saying to him "wow, that's really impressive isn't it" while gesturing to the murals and champions...not a hint of sarcasm...a good man being respectful and sharing a hockey minute with a little boy.  He's the aces as far as I'm concerned.  Berry is too...also incredibly genuine and open, especially to the little kids.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Doug was one of the best guys in the business off the ice too.  I was in Minny for a long time and had many run-ins with Wooger.  One time I tried striking up a conversation with him at Senser's...years ago (announcing not coaching Woog).  We were both watching DU play somebody...I went up to get a beer at the bar...he basically completely ignored me...I went back to my table...at the period break he came over and very apologetically explained that he wasn't trying to be rude, but that the Gophers were playing one of those teams next and he was trying to get a feel for them, their system, and players.  He sat down with me and chatted hockey a bit.  I had a few more run-ins with him where he was always super friendly.  Seemed to remember me.  I had my little boy up at the Ralph for a Gopher-Sioux series a year or so later and we were looking at the history murals...Wooger comes over, shakes my hand, and pats my little boy saying to him "wow, that's really impressive isn't it" while gesturing to the murals and champions...not a hint of sarcasm...a good man being respectful and sharing a hockey minute with a little boy.  He's the aces as far as I'm concerned.  Berry is too...also incredibly genuine and open, especially to the little kids.

Yup woog is a great guy.  Hates the Sioux to his core but as long as you don’t bring it up he’s great.  MN hockey guy through and through.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Yup woog is a great guy.  Hates the Sioux to his core but as long as you don’t bring it up he’s great.  MN hockey guy through and through.

Every time he talked about the Sioux he did it with respect. I always appreciated his tv calls. I love the video of blood pulling dipsh*t out of the line or was it Finley? But Frank said "what a cheesy way to get a guy" then Woog said "well Frank he was pulling him out of the line to fight him"!  He basically said .....you idiot to Frank but nicely. Haha

Or when he was announcing the Frattin team and he said "this Sioux team is fun to watch"! 

31 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Every time he talked about the Sioux he did it with respect. I always appreciated his tv calls. I love the video of blood pulling dipsh*t out of the line or was it Finley? But Frank said "what a cheesy way to get a guy" then Woog said "well Frank he was pulling him out of the line to fight him"!  He basically said .....you idiot to Frank but nicely. Haha

Or when he was announcing the Frattin team and he said "this Sioux team is fun to watch"! 

He would invariably say that when playing UND his Gophers better strap things on tight because they are playing a team that comes out every time with a purpose and a mission.  Always something like that.  I think he respected us greatly.