SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

4 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I guess we may find out. I would be willing to bet that if we lose this weekend and then win out that we make it. 

That would be my guess too. I consider SHSU a quality win, even though they haven't lived up to their #5 ranking from that game. It's impressive to go on the road and end a team's 21 game home winning streak. The question is will the committee find it to be a quality win. I'm honestly not sure. Siouxfan97, apparently, knows exactly how the committee will react to the Sammy game even though the season has yet to end - so much so that CAPITAL LETTERS are necessary. Let's end the debate with a win this weekend.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

That would be my guess too. I consider SHSU a quality win, even though they haven't lived up to their #5 ranking from that game. It's impressive to go on the road and end a team's 21 game home winning streak. The question is will the committee find it to be a quality win. I'm honestly not sure. Siouxfan97, apparently, knows exactly how the committee will react to the Sammy game even though the season has yet to end - so much so that CAPITAL LETTERS are necessary. Let's end the debate with a win this weekend.

it's NOT where the team was ranked when u beat them but where they end up RANKED and SHSU is currently unranked as all our wins this year

4 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

You would think that, but then the spin of "Weber is overrated... soft BSC team... etc. etc. etc." will start to appear.

Much like the whole "This is the worst Griz team in _______ years" after UND smacked them debate opened up. 

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

You would think that, but then the spin of "Weber is overrated... soft BSC team... etc. etc. etc." will start to appear.

Much like the whole "This is the worst Griz team in _______ years" after UND smacked them debate opened up. 

The same terrible Griz team that beat UNI....

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

it's NOT where the team was ranked when u beat them but where they end up RANKED and SHSU is currently unranked as all our wins this year

SHSU is still ranked in both the Stats and Coaches poll.  They are still above us in the coaches poll. 

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

SHSU is still ranked in both the Stats and Coaches poll.  They are still above us in the coaches poll. 

my bad...i guess i only looked at the AGS one and they are way down there but it might show how stupid the polls are that shsu is above us and we are above ISU.

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Montana beats UNI.... Montana is back!!

UND crushes Montana..... Worst Montana team ever!! (and everyone conveniently forgets about the UNI game)

If UND beats Weber and then ISU beats Weber, Weber will be written off as bad

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The same terrible Griz team that beat UNI....

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Montana beats UNI.... Montana is back!!

UND crushes Montana..... Worst Montana team ever!! (and everyone conveniently forgets about the UNI game)

If UND beats Weber and then ISU beats Weber, Weber will be written off as bad

It is amazing how these people haven't spinned themselves into a pretzel yet.  Whatever to fit their narrative I guess. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Great point. This board is exceedingly good at downgrading our own accomplishments - and we do it week after week. It's amazing to see. 

We hand Montana one of the worst losses in the history of their program (worse than most FBS schools have beaten them) and we don't give ourselves credit. We rush for the second most yards in UND history (in history!!) and we downgrade it by talking about how bad our opponent is - even though we DOUBLED their average rush yards given up. And on and on. I'm mostly entertained by these types of comments, but there are times when I just shake my head at the overall attitude of many of the posters here. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

I feel we beat Weber 7-4 will likely get us in. Lose to Weber, need 8-3

I don't think so.  That means we drop 2 of 3 to end the year, not good.  We are barely in the top 24 tournament right now.  I am almost guaranteeing 7-4 is a play-off snub.

I think we need to beat Weber and then could afford one slip to make it in at 8-3.  If we lose to Weber and win out, that 8-3 puts us on the bubble, depending on the quality of the home loss to Weber.  

Win out and I don't think we can climb into a seed, top 8, we just are not a darling of the pollsters....unless we beat Weber by 2 TDs, then maybe some pollsters will fall in love with us again, like 2016 when we were probably ranked too high and seeded.

The reality of ranking in polls is this.   Everything starts with what  you were  like the year before and whether  the pollsters have respect for you from the start of the year. We were not ranked last year and they had no respect for us. If we end up having a good year there will a lot less complaining next year.  The starting point will be totally  different.  Let's just keep winning this year. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, TrueSioux2000 said:

I haven't paid attention to the polls this year.  Do "quality losses" still count? Or are we not doing that anymore

MVFC teams get credit for quality losses, including losses to teams like Montana who are now bad.  Everyone else is just bad.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I don't think so.  That means we drop 2 of 3 to end the year, not good.  We are barely in the top 24 tournament right now.  I am almost guaranteeing 7-4 is a play-off snub.

I think we need to beat Weber and then could afford one slip to make it in at 8-3.  If we lose to Weber and win out, that 8-3 puts us on the bubble, depending on the quality of the home loss to Weber.  

Win out and I don't think we can climb into a seed, top 8, we just are not a darling of the pollsters....unless we beat Weber by 2 TDs, then maybe some pollsters will fall in love with us again, like 2016 when we were probably ranked too high and seeded.

Let's say we go 9-2, one of those losses it to a decent FBS team. I would think that would be in the conversation for a top 8 seed.  Hopefully Idaho State will win some more games as well.

3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Let's say we go 9-2, one of those losses it to a decent FBS team. I would think that would be in the conversation for a top 8 seed.  Hopefully Idaho State will win some more games as well.

It was enough in 2016 for a #7 seed and a first-round bye. It should be again.

1 minute ago, UNDColorado said:

If you are a darling of the polls, which we currently are not.  Weber played JMU tough last season, that is what the pollsters know.  They beat E. Washington this year, the pollsters have heard of E Washington, big deal.

When we beat Weber, I bet Weber is still ranked ahead of us.