SiouxSports.com Forum

FROZEN FOUR

Pearson's Hockey Bus

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

LOLWUT?  UMass-Lowell was a solid club.  They would have given Denver a much better game.

People like to use transitive results. Lowell lost to Notre Dame, Notre Dame got embarrassed by Denver, therefore......It happens in all sports for people who are fans but don't really understand how matchups and styles of play can make a team look like a world beater one night and look very average against a seemingly less strong team the next.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I watched it too, we played a great game but we did not handle them. We were fortunate they didn't get any bounces their way in that game.

Denver played well in that game and UND played lights out(probably best game of the year) and it was a pretty even battle.

Barring any flukey bounces or referees involving themselves in the game, if Denver brings their A game it doesn't matter what anyone else does this year.

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Denver played well in that game and UND played lights out(probably best game of the year) and it was a pretty even battle.

Barring any flukey bounces or referees involving themselves in the game, if Denver brings their A game it doesn't matter what anyone else does this year.

IMO this is the biggest obstacle between DU and a title... they're that good

14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I watched it too, we played a great game but we did not handle them. We were fortunate they didn't get any bounces their way in that game.

If they needed bounces to go their way to score even one goal, we handled them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

UMass-Lowell is the greatest program to accomplish exactly zero.  I'm tired of hearing about how great UMass-Lowell is.  You might as well talk about the dynasty that is St. Cloud.

UMass-Lowell has been Division I in men's hockey since 1983.  Prior to Norm Bazin becoming head coach, the team had two NCAA tournament appearance to its credit.  Since then, they have been Hockey East champions in 2013 and 2017 and have won the post-season tournament in 2013, 2014 and 2017.  They have made the NCAA tournament every year since 2012 with the exception of 2015.  Given that Hockey East has been absolutely dominated by Boston U and Boston College since what seems like forever, I'd say this is a pretty impressive recent list of accomplishments.  Then when you consider how far once-dominant programs like UNH and Maine have fallen by the wayside, I'd say it's even more impressive given the talent flow thru the big-wig schools in Boston.  

Tradition's gotta start somewhere...much like North Dakota's did.  But, I guess, if you haven't been around for 75+ years and haven't won a boatload of NCAA championships, you may as well just fold up your program and go home, right?  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, John W. said:

Called it.....Dawg-Denver final.....NCHC commish lovin' this!!!!.....I have relatives who are relatives with Keith Ballard's family...no blood to me.....They are true and true Gopher fans from northern MN....have followed college hockey for at least 50 years.....Have told stories about the 'cheap shots' taken by UND...It's all in the eyes of the beholder....

Get over it...and enjoy the game on Saturday....may the best (luckiest) team win!!!!

Question: what does the NCHC receive for $$'s from the NCAA for having a team(s) make the Frozen Four and/or winning it all? Also, if our conference receives any money, is it equally distributed among the member institutions?

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

UMass-Lowell has been Division I in men's hockey since 1983.  Prior to Norm Bazin becoming head coach, the team had two NCAA tournament appearance to its credit.  Since then, they have been Hockey East champions in 2013 and 2017 and have won the post-season tournament in 2013, 2014 and 2017.  They have made the NCAA tournament every year since 2012 with the exception of 2015.  Given that Hockey East has been absolutely dominated by Boston U and Boston College since what seems like forever, I'd say this is a pretty impressive recent list of accomplishments.  Then when you consider how far once-dominant programs like UNH and Maine have fallen by the wayside, I'd say it's even more impressive given the talent flow thru the big-wig schools in Boston.  

Tradition's gotta start somewhere...much like North Dakota's did.  But, I guess, if you haven't been around for 75+ years and haven't won a boatload of NCAA championships, you may as well just fold up your program and go home, right?  

Who said anything about folding up their program?  Like I said, they are basically the St. Cloud of Hockey East.  But that doesn't change my initial opinion, to which you started your responses, that Notre Dame, as a "4 band seed" had it about as easy as they could have hoped for.  They played the worst #1 seed in Minnesota.  Then they played a UMass-Lowell team that had some success in Hockey East, but in a year in which BC was decimated by early departures and BU was playing a bunch of 18 year olds.  That was my original point, to which you took offense.

20 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Sounds to me like you are advocating for UND keeping a recently cut women's program.  Just sayin.....

18 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

Who said anything about folding up their program?  Like I said, they are basically the St. Cloud of Hockey East.  But that doesn't change my initial opinion, to which you started your responses, that Notre Dame, as a "4 band seed" had it about as easy as they could have hoped for.  They played the worst #1 seed in Minnesota.  Then they played a UMass-Lowell team that had some success in Hockey East, but in a year in which BC was decimated by early departures and BU was playing a bunch of 18 year olds.  That was my original point, to which you took offense.

UMass-Lowell pounded Notre Dame into submission in the HE semi-finals.  Losing to the Fighting Irish was a monumental upset in the regional that Lowell will carry with them into next season.  I've seen UM-L play several times over the past few years and Norm Bazin is building a solid foundation for success there.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

UMass-Lowell pounded Notre Dame into submission in the HE semi-finals.  Losing to the Fighting Irish was a monumental upset in the regional that Lowell will carry with them into next season.  I've seen UM-L play several times over the past few years and Norm Bazin is building a solid foundation for success there.  

Rumor has it, when CC fired Owens, they were interested in Basin being he had ties to the program (former assistant) but he wasn't interested. He was interested in building Lowell into a powerhouse program and thus far, I think he's succeeded. Being upset two weeks ago to a Notre Dame team they had recently easily beaten doesn't diminish Basin's accomplishments of turning the Riverhawks into a Hockey East power and national contender, IMO.

19 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Rumor has it, when CC fired Owens, they were interested in Bazin being he had ties to the program (former assistant) but he wasn't interested. He was interested in building Lowell into a powerhouse program and thus far, I think he's succeeded. Being upset two weeks ago to a Notre Dame team they had recently easily beaten doesn't diminish Bazin's accomplishments of turning the Riverhawks into a Hockey East power and national contender, IMO.

Obviously Norm Bazin being an alumn of UM-L influenced his decision, too, as did him almost losing his life in the DWI crash in 2003 while on a recruiting trip for CC (he was hit by a drunk driver and almost died).  I think the scars of that incident probably led him to want a fresh start outside of Colorado.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Having been stationed at Scott...I'd think SLU (yes, technically it's in MO) is more likely to get a team in the near future than any IL school. But only if the Blues are willing to share their stadium.

They use to be in the CCHA and their on-campus arena can make ice.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, cberkas said:

They use to be in the CCHA and their on-campus arena can make ice.

As an alumni of SLU, and former club team player, I think it would be great if they could get a D1 team again. Hockey is exploding in the St. Louis area(plenty of kids to recruit). Chaifetz arena(the on campus arena) is really nice, and has hosted Disney on ice events before so it has the capability. The school would more than likely need a big influx of money though.

• Upvote 1