Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

Recommended Posts

I'mmmmm baaaaack.... and in a quick call to UMD-Duluth to offer them the use of all the rooms I had reserved with hopes our UND bus would be a go to Chicago...I found out they did not and were not going to plan anything for their fans. Next thing I know....I'm a temporary UMD supporter and have a bus picking up in New Brighton. If any of you are interested in hoping on ...we leave Moorhead, Wednesday, April 5 - head to New Brighton...New Brighton to Madison....(stay overnight) and Chicago bound Thursday morning!

Call if you are interested in a multi-cultural trip to Chicago! *big smile*  701-388-9825 - Joanna!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Video surveillance outside of the United Center showed a male Duluth fan violently fall as if he had been shot. However after a 30 second rest on a nearby park bench he was able to return to his previ

Dawgs-Pioneer final...good for the NCHC.... Flopping, spearing, diving is a part of all college team cultures...True also for UND going back to the days of Gino...some of you need to get off your

Had a great time in Chicago. Stayed on the Magnificent Mile.Chicago is a beautiful city, sorta like New York but cleaner and less crowded. United Center was a nice facility. The fan fest was cancelled

Posted Images

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:58 AM, Boomer 40AAA said:

Joanna,Did you get enough for a bus?I talked to you about a room earlier.

No, UMD fans just don't travel like UND fans do... only had 9 ...but was able to get them all rooms at our rate. :)    Would you believe that UMD said when they called their folks to tell them they could get tickets from UMD - once they found out how much they cost, they said they weren't interested! *gasp*   We definitely love our teams and support them... Sad for me to see that isn't the case across the board!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pearson's Hockey Bus said:

No, UMD fans just don't travel like UND fans do... only had 9 ...but was able to get them all rooms at our rate. :)    Would you believe that UMD said when they called their folks to tell them they could get tickets from UMD - once they found out how much they cost, they said they weren't interested! *gasp*   We definitely love our teams and support them... Sad for me to see that isn't the case across the board!

In fairness, the FF is not exactly priced at 'good old fashioned, blue collar town, midwestern value, local fan friendly, niche sport, easy access, buy at the 11th hour and pick up and go' levels...more like, 'national prestige championship event where you want to be seen even if you don't care that much about college hockey' levels.  (Hosting it in far-off places like Tampa is an extra slap in the face to northern, mom-and-pop hockey fans of limited means.)

I don't know much about Duluth's fan base, but it's a lot of money for 3 games, especially when you figure in last-minute travel:

Quote

All-Session Ticket Prices
$650 - Lower Level (Row 1)
$475 - Lower Level (Row 2)
$290 - Lower Level
$280 - Club Level
$175 - Upper Level

For comparison, UMD's pricing structure:

58e171dbd0d9e_ScreenShot2017-04-02at4_48_37PM.png.dd9a7721ca75c11e931fd4bd18ab00dd.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

In fairness, the FF is not exactly priced at 'good old fashioned, blue collar town, midwestern value, local fan friendly......

 

I understand the point you are making, but is Duluth that much more blue collar than Grand Forks?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dagies said:

I understand the point you are making, but is Duluth that much more blue collar than Grand Forks?

No.

It's amazing, sad, and dumbfounding how many quality teams they've had recently + a brand new arena, yet still can't fill their arena on a regular basis.

High school hockey is big over here(in Duluth), but it's just a different environment than in Grand Forks. Maybe the arena location, but I think it's more the type of people in this town. 7,000 people packed their arena for a high school game on a week night. But UMD can't get that number on the weekend. Just weird.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

To anyone on the ground in CHI, I'm interested to hear if the NCAA/UC made any efforts (obvious or otherwise) to mask or conceal permanent Blackhawks logos.  Obviously the ice and signage is event-specific, but is there anything 'missing' from the rink or concourse areas of the arena?

Why would they do that?  The NCAA has no beef with NHL franchises with NA imagery or nicknames.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking of who I want to win it all - normally I cheer for the team that has never won it, or it's been a long time since they've won it.  In that case, Notre Dame (never, lost championship game in '08) and Harvard (once, 1989) would be the most consistent with my rooting interests.  Denver or Duluth would keep the championship in our conference, but I don't necessarily need reassurance that the NCHC is the best college hockey conference.  Plus, a Denver win would put them tied with us again for number of championships, and a Duluth win doesn't give me warm fuzzies like it did in 2011.  So, who is the champion that's most favorable to UND and/or college hockey as a whole?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Thinking of who I want to win it all - normally I cheer for the team that has never won it, or it's been a long time since they've won it.  In that case, Notre Dame (never, lost championship game in '08) and Harvard (once, 1989) would be the most consistent with my rooting interests.  Denver or Duluth would keep the championship in our conference, but I don't necessarily need reassurance that the NCHC is the best college hockey conference.  Plus, a Denver win would put them tied with us again for number of championships, and a Duluth win doesn't give me warm fuzzies like it did in 2011.  So, who is the champion that's most favorable to UND and/or college hockey as a whole?

Hate all things Notre Dame and Duluth.  Hope to see the smahhhht kids and DU in the final.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...