SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

Soccer has to pay people to play here? You mean give out scholarships? Based on last year's numbers, women's hockey had to pay players over twice as much as soccer to play here. Not only were those girls not playing for free, their full rides cost significantly more being around half of them were at an international tuition rate. Soccer gave split 15.7 scholarships to 24 student athletes costin $233K. WIH split 18.5 between 23 student athletes, costing $480K.

Based on history, the only #4 seed UND would have gotten is in the conference tournament, and that's assuming they could finally get past Duluth.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Soccer has to pay people to play here? You mean give out scholarships? Based on last year's numbers, women's hockey had to pay players over twice as much as soccer to play here. Not only were those girls not playing for free, their full rides cost significantly more being around half of them were at an international tuition rate. Soccer gave split 15.7 scholarships to 24 student athletes costin $233K. WIH split 18.5 between 23 student athletes, costing $480K.

Based on history, the only #4 seed UND would have gotten is in the conference tournament, and that's assuming they could finally get past Duluth.

I took it as paying other teams to travel here.  Weird that WIH still lost 4x the money per player that soccer did when we have to shell out so much money to pay other teams to travel to GF.  The WIH team isn't gaining any sympathy trying to sh*t on other sports.

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Brian might mean they need to pay "teams" to play here because the setup is bad.  Which I would counter with:  who doesn't have to pay teams to come for home games?  Duh.  Plus, look at the difference between the soccer facilities and the women's hockey facilities.  My goodness.  That is last program I would rag on, they were just happy to have a program and never heard any bitching from them.

If that's the route he's taking, the numbers aren't backing that up either. Neither sport showed guarantee expenses in the most recent numbers. The previous year, WIH paid out $2,400 and Soccer paid out $1,068. 

I'd be curious what teams UND would have paid to play here. The D1 OOC home games this year were WIU, Omaha, USD and SDSU. UND went to WIU, USD and Omaha the previous season and SDSU this year, which means they all look like home/home agreements. Having a hard time buying that criticism.

On 3/6/2018 at 9:07 AM, The Sicatoka said:

"UND was impatient." - Mike Jacobs

15 seasons.
15 seasons of futility.

By comparison, I give you ... Clarkson. They started one season after UND. Though their first 15 seasons they have ... 

4 conference regular season titles.
2 conference post season titles. 
10 NCAA tournament victories*.
3 NCAA championships*. 

*These two numbers could still go up as their 15th season is still ongoing. 

FYP

On 3/12/2018 at 10:27 AM, Siouxphan27 said:

... and UND had fired their inept women's hockey coach.

The talk about "Olympians" and "talent" should make one wonder about the coaching prowess of Misters Idalski and Elander. 

When a leader's organization goes down the first place that leader should look for answers is in the mirror. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

I disagree, it is not exciting as mens, and I generally only watch my daughter play, but horrible is nowhere near how I would describe it.

No checking makes it boring to watch. Add checking and it will up the excitement.