SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

Sue the NDUS and I do believe their attorney is the right and honorable Attorney General of the great State of North Dakota.

You're suin' the State kids. Not sure you'll enjoy what follows.  ;) 

Next, the OCR report and findings sure don't lend any help to the complainants. I wouldn't be surprised if the NDUS just appeared before a court and presented the findings of the body with jurisdiction on Title IX (OCR) and said this complaint is baseless and should be tossed on lack of merit. 

Mr. Seigel hopes for quick resolution; me-thinks he'll get his wish at least. 

PS - Anyone still wonder why that big-time Title IX firm was hired and brought in to oversee UND's moves during the dropping of baseball, M/W S&D and women's hockey? Their actions and groundwork made OCR disappear in minimal time. 

• Upvote 4

How can they force a school who had to cut their budget thanks to the governor and former governor to reinstate a program that loses 2 million dollars a year? And why women’s hockey? Why isn’t wrestling, baseball, and swimming getting reinstated too? The program is gone and buried get over it. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Think their lawyer is confused.  Keeps mentioning UND but he is suing the NDUS.  

I hope the NDUS drags it out and runs up the bill on them.  Be interesting to hear who is footing the lawyer fees if they lose.  Hmmm. 

Rice is who I’d guess, she did sue her dad and the state of Minnesota.

If their goal is to reinstate the program, they are suing the NDUS and their basis is failure to determine the athletic interests and abilities of women students and women athletes, then their lawyer needs to quit mentioning UND since that isn't the prong they use to remain compliant (which they are per the OCR report), it's the other D1 school in the state. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If their goal is to reinstate the program, they are suing the NDUS and their basis is failure to determine the athletic interests and abilities of women students and women athletes, then their lawyer needs to quit mentioning UND since that isn't the prong they use to remain compliant (which they are per the OCR report), it's the other D1 school in the state. 

The updated article says they want the school to reinstate the program and then have the school pay the legal costs. 

Dont see any way this goes anywhere, I think UND should be fielding a womens Hockey team, this is not how it ever gets done again.

They really want results, start fundraising  to endow a program. This lawsuit has zero chance of winning or garnering public support. 

I see it more as a FU at the admin that cut the program. I see no positive at all in this.

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You have to wonder if that phasing and targeting the whole NDUS is making some around the state cringe. 

Schloss updated the article again...

"That will not affect our suit at all,” Siegel said. “The OCR complaints were based on different facts and different legal theories. They didn’t pass on the particular claims that we’re making in our case.”

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Schloss updated the article again...

"That will not affect our suit at all,” Siegel said. “The OCR complaints were based on different facts and different legal theories. They didn’t pass on the particular claims that we’re making in our case.”

He should have waited to have all his information then wrote the article. Not update it every 5 minutes.

7 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Girls high school hockey is growing, it's not going away.  Over 50% of UND students are female.  

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20171202/girls-are-flocking-to-ice-hockey-across-illinois-and-the-nation

We're a hockey school.  Kennedy better step it up. 

Again, I hope they win. 

But not growing enough for Central and Red River to field separate teams. So if they reinstate the program how many of the people on social media screaming to reinstate it are going to pay a ticket (provided it’s no longer free admission) and show up. Hopefully more than the 200 that found their way to a playoff game.