SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

If by "successfull" he means:

- A record of 214-265-50

- Conference standings each year: 7th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 6th, 8th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, and 4th 

- 5 seasons (out of 15 total) team finished season with single digit wins (including a season where they went 0-27-1 in conference

- Confernce tournament record of 9-13

- NCAA tournament reocord of 0-2

- ZERO Conference Championships

- ZERO Conference Tournament Championships

- ZERO NCAA Tournament wins

ZERO NCAA Tournament Champsionships

.....then I guess he is dead on!!

Capture.PNG

On 3/9/2023 at 10:13 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

https://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/division-i-women/

Average attendance for all but 3 schools this last season for womens college hockey was less than 1000.  Two thirds of all womesn programs averaged less than 500.  And I can gaurantee the average ticket price is in the single digits.

Womens College hockey is not as popular and in demand as some portray it to be.

Get out of here with those facts! Women’s hockey is the second best show on earth!

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Attendance was poor most of the games, quit trying to sugar coat it. You can probably count games with attendance over a thousand on one hand!

Not suger coating anything.  Was responding to a quote that even with $1 tickets they only got a few hundred fans.  
I understand womens hockey being gone.  I don’t like it.  I also will never under the pure hate by UND fans of the womens hockey program.  

54 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Not suger coating anything.  Was responding to a quote that even with $1 tickets they only got a few hundred fans.  
I understand womens hockey being gone.  I don’t like it.  I also will never under the pure hate by UND fans of the womens hockey program.  

Guess I didn’t pick up on all the hate.

couple of things, 

there been 7 new D1 women's hockey programs added since UND drop theirs

this year they allowed checking along the boards  your not allowed to do any  north to south hits 

there are currently 2 professional Hockey Leagues for womens PHF and PWHF Darrly watts of wisconsin just signed the highest contract ever $300,000

Swedish women's league allows full on checking.

Should UND bring back womens hocky No!  for a couple of reasons

The university is always doing budgets cuts 

if it was legal drop all women's sports, not one has attendance to break even.

UND women's basketball games have less than 800 people and UND Softball no one ever.

I believe majority of UND Fans and alumni don't care about Womens Hockey as you see on this board. 

Let the 7 new programs succeed and lets forgot about Womens sports in general. 

Football is the #1 money maker in college sports nothing else comes close.

1 hour ago, Xcfire said:

couple of things, 

this year they allowed checking along the boards  your not allowed to do any  north to south hits 

there are currently 2 professional Hockey Leagues for womens PHF and PWHF Darrly watts of wisconsin just signed the highest contract ever $300,000

UND women's basketball games have less than 800 people and UND Softball no one ever.

I believe majority of UND Fans and alumni don't care about Womens Hockey as you see on this board. 

Won't matter... If everything goes as it's going there will only be one basketball team.... One hockey team and so on so on

On 3/9/2023 at 10:44 AM, Big Green said:

I'll never understand the hate for Women's hockey.  It didn't just start after the program was cut.  I enjoyed watching the Women play.  Like every sport it was not as fast as the Men's game, but you need to take it for what it is.  No one goes to a high school game and complains that the game is slower with less skilled players.  However i do agree that checking needs to be a part of the women's game as it is part of hockey.

UND should have a women's hockey team.

This forum is really weird. Certain members will bring it up solely to hate on it. 

Idalski killed the team by underperforming with an inflated budget (compared to other WCHA teams). Still, the WIH players have good reason to be mad. The school went through several rounds of cuts and specifically said WIH was protected. Then after Kennedy said cuts were done in his tenure, he opens cuts one more time and cuts WIH. 

Don't get me wrong, the other cut teams have reason to be mad too. Kennedy really mishandled the situation. Schafer really wasn't much better. 

On 3/12/2023 at 9:19 PM, Rebel_Sioux said:

This forum is really weird. Certain members will bring it up solely to hate on it. 

Idalski killed the team by underperforming with an inflated budget (compared to other WCHA teams). Still, the WIH players have good reason to be mad. The school went through several rounds of cuts and specifically said WIH was protected. Then after Kennedy said cuts were done in his tenure, he opens cuts one more time and cuts WIH. 

Don't get me wrong, the other cut teams have reason to be mad too. Kennedy really mishandled the situation. Schafer really wasn't much better. 

Kennedy and Schafer handled the situation appropriately when it came to dropping sports. Nickname and logo selection on the other hand…..

On 3/11/2023 at 6:58 PM, Xcfire said:

couple of things, 

Women’s basketball is attended much more and is needed for conference affiliation. Women’s hockey was a waste of money and luckily we quit spending money on it

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...