SiouxSports.com Forum

#15 UND (22-9) vs #2 Arizona (30-4) 3/16 8:50 NCAA 1st Round

SWSiouxMN

Great effort last night; very proud of these guys, they represented UND and the state of North Dakota extremely well!  Hats off to coach Jones and his staff for a fantastic job on and off the court this year.  With that performance last night, UND would have beat a lot of teams in the tournament.  If Arizona isn't lights out (only 7 turnovers) and shoots at a still very good 50% clip (36-62 58%) and both teams shoot 75% from the line (UND 8-16, AZ 24-28), that game goes to the wire.  Add in a few tough calls against us by the refs too that didn't help the cause either.  The boys gave them everything they wanted and the AZ coaches and players had nothing but respect and admiration for them.

Now for what left a bad taste in my mouth...So UND goes to the big dance...the biggest stage UND has ever been on; the largest TV audience the school has performed in front of...and it does so without its band or cheerleaders?  Really?  It made us look like Sisters of the Poor!  Come on!  We had to borrow some pimply faced high school kids from SLC (God bless them for doing it) to be a make shift band for us.  That is embarrassing.  What made it worse was roving reporter gal actually made a story about it during the game for the whole world to see...ugh! I was also told that the band was not there because it is spring break...well it is spring break for the players too...and it is spring break for many of the other 63 teams in the tournament who brought their band to the dance!  We won the Big Sky and knew we had a very good chance to go to the dance; the pieces should have been in place to bring the band to the tournament.

Edited by ksixpack
was wrong about no cheerleaders at the game
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Q is awesome, but does he really pass Phil Jackson? 
When Q comes back as head MBB coach and wins a title, sure. ;) 

UND Basketball's "Mount Rushmore"? Q definitely on it. 

Yes - look at the stats and Q did it during the D1 era as a player.

Said nothing about coaching only as a player.

5 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

Great effort last night; very proud of these guys, they represented UND and the state of North Dakota extremely well!  Hats off to coach Jones and his staff for a fantastic job on and off the court this year.  With that performance last night, UND would have beat a lot of teams in the tournament.  If Arizona isn't lights out (only 7 turnovers) and shoots at a still very good 50% clip (36-62 58%) and both teams shoot 75% from the line (UND 8-16, AZ 24-28), that game goes to the wire.  Add in a few tough calls against us by the refs too that didn't help the cause either.  The boys gave them everything they wanted and the AZ coaches and players had nothing but respect and admiration for them.

Now for what left a bad taste in my mouth...So UND goes to the big dance...the biggest stage UND has ever been on; the largest TV audience the school has performed in front of...and it does so without its band or cheerleaders?  Really?  It made us look like Sisters of the Poor!  Come on!  We had to borrow some pimply faced high school kids from SLC (God bless them for doing it) to be a make shift band for us.  That is embarrassing.  What made it worse was roving reporter gal actually made a story about it during the game for the whole world to see...ugh!  In addition, we must have been the only team in the tournament without cheerleaders...double ugh!  I was told our cheerleaders were in SD at the women's game...if this is true that is a horrible decision.  I was also told that the band was not there because it is spring break...well it is spring break for the players too...and it is spring break for many of the other 63 teams in the tournament who brought their band to the dance!  We won the Big Sky and knew we had a very good chance to go to the dance; the pieces should have been in place to bring the band and cheerleaders to Big Dance...instead our administration blew it and made us look like chumps...thank God the team did us more then proud on the court!

A+ to the UND team and coaches; a big fat F to the administration for once again fumbling the ball; another PR gaff in the national spotlight!

Cheerleaders were there. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Q is awesome, but does he really pass Phil Jackson? 
When Q comes back as head MBB coach and wins a title, sure. ;) 

UND Basketball's "Mount Rushmore"? Q definitely on it. 

Jackson, Hooker, Gunther, Gulseth?  

40 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Cheerleaders were there. 

Did AZ have a band there?  If so, I never saw it on TV. At the end of the game I heard Stand Up and Cheer. Why wasn't Arizona's band playing their fight song right after a win?

8 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Jackson, Hooker, Gunther, Gulseth?  

Don't know about the others, but Hooker would definitely have my vote.  Not taking anything away from any of the others, but, as someone mentioned, Q did it during the D1 era and lead us to the Promised Land (Big Dance).  He was our Moses.:)

I attended two games in GF this year and watched several on the computer at home. It was the first time in over 20 years that I watched any UND basketball.  I have to admit, it was a good time to get aboard the bandwagon.  What a great year.  A very classy bunch of young men.  It was always cool to see the player's interact with the kids at the Betty.  Last night was fun, I am already looking forward to next year.  Thank you Hooker and Baldwin for your great career's.  

As far as players that could've competed with the likes of an Arizona team. A starting lineup of Jackson, Hooker, Beasley, Gulseth and Huff. That team would of kept pace with Arizona. Not saying they beat Arizona but they could stick with them. I'm sure I'm not thinking of someone else that could've made a difference, but that starting lineup would be tough.   

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Did AZ have a band there?  If so, I never saw it on TV. At the end of the game I heard Stand Up and Cheer. Why wasn't Arizona's band playing their fight song right after a win?

Yep. They were dressed like where's Waldo at the end with the orange out of bounds space

i wonder how the UND Band members fill about the fact that they didn't get the change to go. 

I love that the administration give the opportunity to a HS band to play on live TV and we had a live band please the school song rather than piped in music.

Thought it was a great story.

Just now, Big Green said:

i wonder how the UND Band members fill about the fact that they didn't get the change to go. 

I love that the administration give the opportunity to a HS band to play on live TV and we had a live band please the school song rather than piped in music.

Thought it was a great story.

robert brooks needs to send the tbs sideline reporter some fighting hawks drumsticks...

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I believe I read attendance was 16,000 something. That should be largest crowd ever to witness a UND BB game, right?  Coupled with the millions viewing at home, what a great showcase!

Two other games were over 16,000;  16,300 in 2011-2012 at Kansas, and 16,553 at Wisconsin in 2013-14.  13,280 is the record at home (REA) 2001 Kansas at UND.

UND vs Arizona 16,341...second largest.

58 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Two other games were over 16,000;  16,300 in 2011-2012 at Kansas, and 16,553 at Wisconsin in 2013-14.  13,280 is the record at home (REA) 2001 Kansas at UND.

UND vs Arizona 16,341...second largest.

We have a new winner.  2010 game at Wisconsin the attendance was 17,230 when Huff, Anderson, Webb, Schuler and Brekke were all freshmen with 3 of them starting.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, NODAK13 said:

We have a new winner.  2010 game at Wisconsin the attendance was 17,230 when Huff, Anderson, Webb, Schuler and Brekke were all freshmen with 3 of them starting.

Yep, I missed that one. I thought we only played them in 2013. Good catch.

13 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

Pretty good results last night for Hooker and Crandall considering this:

www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/fancy-stats/wp/2017/03/14/ranking-the-entire-68-team-march-madness-bracket-villanova-gonzaga-are-tops/

59. North Dakota: If UND and its scintillating guard Quinton Hooker weren’t playing Arizona, a team with a pack-line defense meant to contain a guard with Hooker’s skill set, this could have been an upset.

The team got the same compliment from a NDSU fan I work with who is one of the larger team makers.  Said he didn't realize how athletic they were and there was a lot of teams in the tournament they could have beaten.  It hurt him to say that.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, homer said:

The team got the same compliment from a NDSU fan I work with who is one of the larger team makers.  Said he didn't realize how athletic they were and there was a lot of teams in the tournament they could have beaten.  It hurt him to say that.  

An educated guess: most NDSU fans didn't see UND play this year.  Some saw them play in Fargo once.  Probably same ones watched the game at UND.  

But they still told everyone (prior to NCAA Tourney) how UND sucked, from a bad conference, will not win a game in the Summit, and so forth.

• Upvote 2