SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Dance Media Coverage

homer

3 hours ago, hoops44 said:

man you are one xxxx xxx....meeting was not an optional one....I ALREADY POSTED they should have another coach ...try thinking for yourself

Now I know you're not exactly Jim Dahl when it comes to intellect but I literally said he didn't have to be the one to take the interview. Someone, anyone, could have filled in and all would have been fine.

40 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Well at least we found a solution for the Jones haters now that the Fire Jones thread is gone. Biggest week in UND basketball history and the focus is on one missed radio interview in a week where he  is probably doing a dozen of them.

It's a fan message board. What do you expect?  Comments tend to live on the extreme edges.  We are either world beaters or worst in the world... not much room for level headed benefit of the doubt pragmatism. No fun in that, I guess. :D  That's what other fan bases do (or sugar coat everything, er, yeah, that's you Bville). Not us...we eat our own -- in the middle of the most successful athletic era in recent memory (1 Natty, 5 conference championships and a trip to The Dance and the NIT)   I did get a kick out of your post, though.

I've never seen a fan base that hates itself (University, athletics program as a whole) as much as we do. LOL!   Some will argue they're just being honest and calling a spade a spade. Maybe. It's hard to tell sometimes. But, man, the armchair opinions sure can get harsh. I guess we feel owed or something.  Fight on Hawks!  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Now I know you're not exactly Jim Dahl when it comes to intellect but I literally said he didn't have to be the one to take the interview. Someone, anyone, could have filled in and all would have been fine.

Well I said posted that long before you did...imitation is the greatest form of flattery

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

Naive to think Jones was involved with setting up the interview or that it was his personal responsibility to deal directly with KFAN with respect to scheduling conflict...blame jones all you want if it makes you happy...but that is not how things work

You may assume whatever you may choose to assume I meant. 

However, in reality, I'm challenging your claim of a "mandatory meeting" that Jones attended instead the interview set up by whomever.

What was that meeting? I'm going to assume Athletics "changes" and called and mandated by Faison. That's the only way in my mind Jones would miss free public relations. Even then, a surrogate should've been assigned to cover it. 

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

What couldn't have been more wrong?  That they could have been more professional about how they handled the situation with an affiliate school.  I get the relationship.  I have heard plenty of shots at UND over the years during the drive time.  Not saying that some are not deserved.  But, there have been plenty that were not deserved and I am not talking about Beyond the Pond.  I totally get the bit in that context.

Maybe they heard P.A. going over the Minnesotans in the Dance, and when they brought up Hooker he said "never heard of him" in his arrogant voice to slight him.  Even if that were the case, Barreiro isn't Paul Allen, and you need to try to possibly become the next Tim Miles and possibly have them interview you on a consistent basis, although their personality difference could have made that difficult.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

No thanks.  I don't dig the "good for the state" stuff.  I cheer for Notre Dame, then the other Catholic schools,  then NDSU(if they make it) in the dance. 

Enjoy the show.  It's pretty neat seeing your school battle the big boys in games that matter. 

Notre Dame football, what a less than splendid history in terms of "top programs" the past quarter century (check the results/numbers) in football.  Still have the big network tv deal though somehow so gotta tip my cap, not sure how they do it though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GDPritch said:

Notre Dame football, what a less than splendid history in terms of "top programs" the past quarter century (check the results/numbers) in football.  Still have the big network tv deal though somehow so gotta tip my cap, not sure how they do it though.

Being America's most well known Catholic university and having Natty's coming out of your butt sure helps. 

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/02/news/companies/notre-dame-college-football-tickets/

Notre Dame is the Yankees or Red Sox of college football, love 'em or hate 'em, you are probably reacting to the score of their game on the ESPN ticker.

The fact that you brought up the football program in a basketball thread speaks for itself. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Being America's most well known Catholic university and having Natty's coming out of your butt sure helps. 

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/02/news/companies/notre-dame-college-football-tickets/

Notre Dame is the Yankees or Red Sox of college football, love 'em or hate 'em, you are probably reacting to the score of their game on the ESPN ticker.

The fact that you brought up the football program in a basketball thread speaks for itself. 

More like the Dallas Cowboys, in that they get a lot of press even though they haven't been a top team in a couple decades. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

It's also not out of the realm of possibility that KFAN was notified that Jones couldn't make it and they decided to make a "no-show" bit out of the opportunity.

Kfan conspired against Brian Jones for a " bit"

Barreiro and Gaard were out to get Jonesy.

Got it...

Credit to Jones for making changes after that disastrous season:

He always tried to build his program by bringing in high school recruits and developing them as players but a few years ago, he tried what he calls the “Freddy Hoiberg style.’’ He brought in several transfers from other schools and tried to mold them into a unit.

The Fighting Hawks went 8-22.

“It just blew up in our face,’’ he said. “It didn’t work for me, it didn’t work for this place. So that next year we brought in Cortez and Adam McDermott and all these high school kids, and rolled with them as freshmen and allowed them to grow.’’

http://qctimes.com/sports/basketball/college/rock-island-s-jones-and-fearless-team-fulfill-ncaa-dream/article_ad822f7f-abb9-59a9-9547-65404770f2d6.html

Gaard doesn't seem all the worked up about whatever caused the miscommunication. Of course Barreiro's going to harp on it, that's his schtick. No clue what actually happened but considering the team got in Sunday night and leave already today, that doesn't leave a whole lot of extra time to take care of things in Grand Forks. Someone either didn't confirm the interview or the message didn't get passed on, it wasn't like they didn't spend the afternoon yesterday doing a ton of other media related things.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Gaard doesn't seem all the worked up about whatever caused the miscommunication. Of course Barreiro's going to harp on it, that's his schtick. 

Barreiro is a ... what's that word again ... "pre Madonna". :D 

• Upvote 1

http://www.wday.com/sports/basketball/4234183-taming-wildcats-und-preps-first-ncaa-tourney-opponent#.WMgOrK5VTIk.twitter

Taming the Wildcats; UND preps for first NCAA Tourney opponent

I wasn't aware we were playing against a team on PEDs.....

http://hoopshd.com/2017/03/14/tourney-talk-hoopshd-interviews-north-dakota-assistant-coach-jeff-horner/

TOURNEY TALK: HOOPSHD INTERVIEWS NORTH DAKOTA ASSISTANT COACH JEFF HORNER

5 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Kfan conspired against Brian Jones for a " bit"

Barreiro and Gaard were out to get Jonesy.

Got it...

Who said they were out "to get" Jones? Let's say the interview was arranged and publicized. Then Jones had to cancel. It would be pretty normal for them to play with the situation rather than just say he wasn't available. Everything turns into a bit on KFAN.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Who said they were out "to get" Jones? Let's say the interview was arranged and publicized. Then Jones had to cancel. It would be pretty normal for them to play with the situation rather than just say he wasn't available. Everything turns into a bit on KFAN.

But Jones never cancelled.  He didn't do anything. There was no communication to KFAN. I dont understand why this is so difficult to understand.

What are the consequences for no-call, no-show in any aspect of life?  What if his player had done that for practice or study table or an interview?  He's a professional.  Do as I say not as I do?  There shouldn't be a double standard.  Yes, I understand the context.

It was all about a "bit" for KFAN?  You're trying to blame KFAN for Jones no-showing.  No communication.

18 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Well the over reaction on this thread just gave them more fuel for their bit. 

KFAN is reading our siouxsports.com bball thread and we are fueling the fire for them?  Wow.

How many times has UND Basketball had the opportunity to be on KFAN with Barreiro to promote their program over the last 10 years or so?  When will be the next?  Don't underestimate it.  It's just bad optics for a guy who doesn't need it.  How many UND people and fans stopped what they were doing yesterday and were excited to hear him on Barreiro after it was all over twitter?  What did they hear instead?

No, it's not the end of the world or the program.  He just didn't do himself or UND any favors. If people would just stop making excuses for an obvious PR and professional blunder and say he screwed up, I think we could all move on and stop debating it.

I will move on now too. Looking forward to the game on Thursday.  Go UND.

I'm also looking forward to hearing Jones talk about the program on KFAN with PA shortly.

• Upvote 2