SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UMD - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

Once again you don't lose guys like Stecher, LaDue, and Schmaltz and not feel it.  We sure could even use a guy like Keaton Thompson who was maligned by many.  We'll see how Duluth does next year when they lose the majority of their defensemen.  That happens when you win a Championship that you constantly railed on Hakstol for not winning.  

Ding, ding, ding. Spot on. 

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

Once again you don't lose guys like Stecher, LaDue, and Schmaltz and not feel it.  We sure could even use a guy like Keaton Thompson who was maligned by many.  We'll see how Duluth does next year when they lose the majority of their defensemen.  That happens when you win a Championship that you constantly railed on Hakstol for not winning.  

And this is the correct answer 

I might also add regarding talent level that there aren't many impact freshmen in College hockey.  Tufte is starting to really come around now, but he didn't jump in right away scoring. Who was our second leading goal scorer the last half of our Championsip season -- Coltyn Sanderson, a walk on who didn't play much his first 3+ seasons.  So I wouldn't count out the freshmen or sophomores on this team.  Look at Gersich from year one to two.  If you want examples of similar players from Gino's years look no further than Jeff McLean and Kevin McKinnon who went back to junior hockey after time at UND, and came back impact players

I have had a little bit to cool off.  Here is my take.  Duluth is a very good team and we always struggle with them even when we are good.  If we lay an egg next weekend against CC than it's going to be a long uphill battle.  I still think we have the makings of a pretty good team but we also have alot of flaws.  I thought we might be able to get by after losing so many defenseman last year, but It really has affected us all the way down to Cam.  At this point I am hoping to get to Fargo and hope some magic happens.  

It's just the little things like being inconsistent. Younger team experience wise at the college level. Losing races to pucks, losing battles, not taking the body, never in the slot. Need someone to put some fight into this team. If they have been then well... this team is just not that good and banged up. With the way the defense is playing, unless they change the game plan, they won't make it far in the NCAAs. It's gonna be hard to beat any team when you give up 4-5 goals to them. 

Players IMO who have taken a step back instead of forward this season:

Wolanin, Shaw, Ausmus, Gardner, Simo, Boeser, Wilkie and throw Cam in there too........and I'm not going on strictly production. Young team or not that is 8 non-freshman of 19 "regulars" that have not played to their potential skill, effort and/or leadership wise. This ship only gets righted if those guys figure it out.

Now to also make this point....Simo and Boeser's effort and compete level last night was very good so that's a positive.

• Upvote 3

I get the economics of things but Keaton leaving was a huge mistake. LJ could have stayed too. The others bolting I get. As much as LJ made some really bonehead plays if he alone stayed your top line is 16 17 19 with the heavy line intact. 3rd line is the Euros and Wilkie or Yon. Doesn't help the blue line but that is 3 very solid lines.

• Upvote 1

The thing that bothers me the most is the play at home. The boys have really laid an egg when they play at home. So far this has been a disappointing season, I knew it was going to be a challenge when we lost all that we did but we have really been not good at times. I'll give credit to UMD they came in and got the job done they are better than us right now. We have a lot of issues going on right now and I am not sure they will be resolved in time to make a run. There a a bunch of players on this team that need to step up and they just haven't so far. It's tough to pin this on the coaches. 

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I don't understand all the complaining - I thought the fans who insisted anything less than a national title ONCE would be happy with an 0-30 performance this season...guess not.

Come on, I wanted an atom bomb post, or a rioting Simpsons post.....

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I don't understand all the complaining - I guess the fans who insisted that just ONE national title would make them OK with a few down years were apparently fibbing.

That thought has passed through my mind more than once recently.   

And I hope people are not assuming CC will be soft opposition.  They are much improved.   It's a dog fight this year--exactly what we had reason to expect.  Just because this team is losing games they did not lose last year does not mean the players are lazy or do not care.  

Have faith, Berry has a plan.  The Gornall is FULLY OPERATIONAL.   Opposition beware.     

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I don't understand all the complaining - I guess the fans who insisted that just ONE national title would make them OK with a few down years were apparently fibbing.

The boys didn't look good this weekend plain and simple.  The seasons not close to over (as some like to think) however they need to keep chugging ahead.  Duluth dropped a game to St. Cloud last weekend and got had against CC the weekend before.  We should have at least been able to draw a split.  Unfortunately they played terrible Friday and Saturday they were snake bit while also missing two top six forwards.  We're ok.

• Upvote 3

I am a little concerned. The first 3 games after Christmas we were 3-0 and everything was looking normal for our second half run. Since then we are 1-3 while getting outscored 16-9 and looking pretty bad in the 3 losses. It's one thing to lose a game, but we didn't look like we even belonged on the ice against Duluth and for most of the Friday game against Miami.