SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UMD - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

57 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Time for Tomek. Time for Smith. Time for some young guys to take control and the lead the way. 

This team is a top-16 team. I know they're are. 

Will they ever play to their potential? That's TBD. Might not happen, unfortunately. 

They have played to their potential--that's what is sobering.  Not surprising, but sobering.  In fact, it is possible we have seen them play beyond it at times.

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Oh.........and the UMD hockey program has been around for 73 years. Other than this season name another year where UMD has swept UND in a season series?

Yup! UND has traditionally had UMD's number. Even in our best years UMD didn't do well against UND or was just above .500 against them. Crazy right? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biddco said:

Yup! UND has traditionally had UMD's number. Even in our best years UMD didn't do well against UND or was just above .500 against them. Crazy right? 

That's a dam good team you have over there this year. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Biddco said:

I work with a guy from Duluth and we were talking after the first series in Duluth. At that time I told him I thought UMD had everything they needed to win the title and I still believe that to be true.

Duluth is the best team we've seen this yr by a decent margin. They're veteran and deep top to bottom with Peterson joining them and Tufte starting to play to his potential. Anything less than a Frozen Four will be a big letdown for them IMO. We need to start playing desperate hockey(Boeser & Gornall showed it). Our goal has shifted from the 3rd straight Penrose to home ice & NCAAs.

Oh and to the people NOW saying they miss Hak who were silent in all the yrs he got crucified on this board...GTFO

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Duluth is the best team we've seen this yr by a decent margin. They're veteran and deep top to bottom with Peterson joining them and Tufte starting to play to his potential. Anything less than a Frozen Four will be a big letdown for them IMO.

I'm sure Dogs fans feel that way, but things happen in the NCAAs, as we all know.  That is why we fans have to learn to enjoy great college hockey when we get it in our own rink, whether we get a banner out of it or not.  In fact, we should also be ready to enjoy great college hockey when it comes to our rink.  Time is too short not to enjoy this game, and when we get too bent out of shape when we don't get what we want, we lose something that is very good. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Duluth is the best team we've seen this yr by a decent margin. They're veteran and deep top to bottom with Peterson joining them and Tufte starting to play to his potential. Anything less than a Frozen Four will be a big letdown for them IMO. We need to start playing desperate hockey(Boeser & Gornall showed it). Our goal has shifted from the 3rd straight Penrose to home ice & NCAAs.

Oh and to the people NOW saying they miss Hak who were silent in all the yrs he got crucified on this board...GTFO

Brock played desperate hockey this weekend? I must have had the wrong game on tv.... Best team UND has played all year and Brock didn't do much in 4 games against the dogs. Just saying. Needs to evaulate his play imo. A good player gets points in big games. Jost did...

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Brock played desperate hockey this weekend? I must have had the wrong game on tv.... Best team UND has played all year and Brock didn't do much in 4 games against the dogs. Just saying. Needs to evaulate his play imo. A good player gets points in big games. Jost did...

Points aren't the only way to play desperate hockey, Brock couldn't find space and Duluth keyed in on him and succeeded. If you watched the small plays or some of the battles he had, he wasn't coasting.

In contrast, I watched Olson glide by a player with the puck towards the 2nd half of the game last night as if he didn't exist. 

31 minutes ago, burd said:

I'm sure Dogs fans feel that way, but things happen in the NCAAs, as we all know.  That is why we fans have to learn to enjoy great college hockey when we get it in our own rink, whether we get a banner out of it or not.  In fact, we should also be ready to enjoy great college hockey when it comes to our rink.  Time is too short not to enjoy this game, and when we get too bent out of shape when we don't get what we want, we lose something that is very good. 

K?

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I don't understand all the complaining - I guess the fans who insisted that just ONE national title would make them OK with a few down years were apparently fibbing.

I do not believe we are headed for an extended period of below average teams. This streak of being home for the first round and making the NCAAs was bound to end at some point.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't miss Hakstol. The program is bigger than any one coach or player and we'll be fine in the long-run. I believe we lost 9 regulars from last year's team; that is the biggest single season loss we have sustained in a very long time. You just cannot expect to replace all of them in one off-season. Look at Boston College: they won titles in 2008, 2010 and 2012 and missed the NCAA's in 2009. I think their fans are happy with that trade off, as most of the people on this forum would be.

Having said all that, the season ain't over until it's over.

Agree 100%

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Hopefully Gage is not out long term but maybe sitting a couple of games he can regain the way he played the previous two years. Simo and Olson can be replaced by Gornall and Smith as far as I am concerned, figure skaters that do nothing for or with the puck.

Put Gornal Smith and someone big who can skate on a line and unleash them. Set the tone for the whole team.

16 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

They could have Gardner center that line.

Exactly..........He has played nowhere near a 2nd line centerman this season.

4th line of Smith Gardner Gornall.........I could deal with that.

The Euros with Boeser could be 2nd line 

3rd Yon Bowen Wilkie

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, burd said:

That's a dam good team you have over there this year. 

Thank you. I didn't know what to expect with this team coming into the year becasue our goaltending was such a huge qustion mark. But Miska has played so well and we've got great players contributing to a deep team. I'm enjoying the season. 

2 hours ago, burd said:

I'm sure Dogs fans feel that way, but things happen in the NCAAs, as we all know. 

Agreed a 100%, Frozen Four or it will be a disappointment, but hockey is a fluky thing so they could very well be one and done. We'll see...:) 

44 minutes ago, Biddco said:

Thank you. I didn't know what to expect with this team coming into the year becasue our goaltending was such a huge qustion mark. But Miska has played so well and we've got great players contributing to a deep team. I'm enjoying the season. 

Agreed a 100%, Frozen Four or it will be a disappointment, but hockey is a fluky thing so they could very well be one and done. We'll see...:) 

Any team with Tufte, Peterson, and Kuhlman on the 3rd line is going to be a handful for any team to handle. Very impressed with UMD in person this weekend.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't miss Hakstol. The program is bigger than any one coach or player and we'll be fine in the long-run. I believe we lost 9 regulars from last year's team; that is the biggest single season loss we have sustained in a very long time. You just cannot expect to replace all of them in one off-season. Look at Boston College: they won titles in 2008, 2010 and 2012 and missed the NCAA's in 2009. I think their fans are happy with that trade off, as most of the people on this forum would be.

Having said all that, the season ain't over until it's over.

Is this the same guy who won't be making this year's NCHC tournament because he doesn't think the team cares enough about winning it?