SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UMD - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, burd said:

It is a good post.   Using BC as a comparison model is not very useful, since they have pretty much been at a level all by themselves since they lost the NC to us in '00. 

This Millenia:

BC:  10 Frozen Fours, 4 Nattys, 2 missed NCAA (both after Nattys btw)

UND:  10 Frozen Fours, 2 Nattys, 1 missed NCAA

id agree that they've been the best, but our win last year put us right behind them

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

This Millenia:

id agree that they've been the best, but our win last year put us right behind them

Yeah, with last year, I'd agree.  Despite our title drought, it's been an amazing run.

7 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

This Millenia:

Interesting that both BC's missed NCAAs were after national title years. I feel like I've seen it before but does anyone have the statistic on-hand for teams making/missing the NCAAs a year after a title? You'd think there could possibly be a letdown after getting to the top of the mountain while all the other teams are hungry/using the previous year's failure as motivation.

10 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Interesting that both BC's missed NCAAs were after national title years. I feel like I've seen it before but does anyone have the statistic on-hand for teams making/missing the NCAAs a year after a title? You'd think there could possibly be a letdown after getting to the top of the mountain while all the other teams are hungry/using the previous year's failure as motivation.

In the 50s, when the pucks were Mason fruit jar lids, Michigan won year after year. 

45 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

This Millenia:

Boston College hasn't won a title since 2012......that is 6 years going on 7. I think the emergence of other programs out east (Quinnippiac, Union, Boston University in the post-Parker era) have made it harder on Jerry York and his staff.

Remember 2011 team,  we crushed UMD 5-0 at the opening of the Amsoil arena and had the more talented team.  UMD road their top line and won Natty #1.  The most talented team doesn't always win it all (exception was last year's team).  I am not going to bail on this team.  Actually, I'm looking for a couple more tickets for the regional in Fargo if anyone jumping off the wagon wants to sell at a discount!!!

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND could play UMD another 10 times this year and might win one if Cam stands on his head.  UND wants nothing to do with UMD moving forward...even in Fargo...if they make it there.

UMD is one of the best teams in the nation right now so I don't think there are many teams that actually want to play them.

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Duluth was bigger, faster, stronger on the puck and stick, and more decisive.
Plus they are a veteran squad at defense with a couple highly skilled forwards up front. 

They are built for right now. 
And it showed. 

You think they had more facial hair?

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND could play UMD another 10 times this year and might win one if Cam stands on his head.  UND wants nothing to do with UMD moving forward...even in Fargo...if they make it there.

Agreed, but playoffs are a whole different beast. Holy Cross didn't want anything to do with the Gophers. They're have been plenty of other scenarios where the big upset has happened. UND is always dangerous as a low seed, because the talent and potential is always there. Just like when we snuck into the tourney a few years ago. This is why the NCAA tourney is so awesome, literally any team can win it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

If the team plays a full 60 instead of 10 minutes they beat Duluth.

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree with that. We've seen it against Omaha. This is a dominant team when it comes to play and we have more skill than them (not by miles, of course).

Good...yes. Dominant...no.

12 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Stecher didn't need more than a shift to adjust to college. It's just about bringing in the right guys and getting a bit lucky with how they turn out.

True - but we had no Stechers the last couple of years - we must be due for 3-4 next year.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Good post, but you really have to start looking at the recruiting classes from when Quinn took over.  This guy is a recruiting wizard.  The program was falling pretty quick in those later Parker years...from a consistency perspective.  BU is going to be rolling them in next year too.

Agree with the Quinn comment - And while BU has their recruiting points we have ours - a history of developing high end pros, the best facilities, the best fans, fans who travel like no one else, great coaching, and a program that is probably top two of all time with a run of Frozen Fours.  Given that, I'm not saying we should even shoot for the BU type of class, but I think we should expect better than the last two groups (with the exception of the big 3 talents).  We have a group with no scoring punch and defensemen who give away goals.  We should expect better classes than that.

13 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree with that. We've seen it against Omaha. This is a dominant team when it comes to play and we have more skill than them (not by miles, of course).

It is what will make the end of this season interesting. IF UND can put together more complete games, like they did against Omaha, we could still see a very good run. Of course, if this team can get into the tourney and make a run, we will all be looking back at this weekend and having a good laugh. How UND responds against CC will speak volumes about the character of this team.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

It is what will make the end of this season interesting. IF UND can put together more complete games, like they did against Omaha, we could still see a very good run. Of course, if this team can get into the tourney and make a run, we will all be looking back at this weekend and having a good laugh. How UND responds against CC will speak volumes about the character of this team.

I agree on all points. A sweep would mean so much mentally and in the race, to this team.

I think UMD and DU are just on a different planet right now.  To the earlier post, you just have to get in.

There have been many dominant teams that get beat in the one and done...Michigan in 97, BU in 2000 paved the way for two of our Nattys.

likewise we were on a different planet Parise's second year and 2011 and didn't get it done.

5 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I think UMD and DU are just on a different planet right now.  To the earlier post, you just have to get in.

There have been many dominant teams that get beat in the one and done...Michigan in 97, BU in 2000 paved the way for two of our Nattys.

likewise we were on a different planet Parise's second year and 2011 and didn't get it done.

Did you have to bring those up? :glare:

I thought 2016 was supposed to have purged those awful memories from our brains? :p